We Need Better International News In English!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
If you did, you're probably better informed than most...and sadly, that's no joke.

That is, if you have the necessary brain cells to process things like sarcarsm, irony, hyperbole...;)

shanewalker said:
If you did, you're probably better informed than most...and sadly, that's no joke.

That is, if you have the necessary brain cells to process things like sarcarsm, irony, hyperbole...;)

Yeah, it is sad...

Maybe those that want fair and balance news could use PIP to watch FoxNews and Al-Jazeera? You know, to balance things out...

TNGTony said:
I have seen this channel in Europe and in Asia. It is not exatly the same as CNN, but "it's the same thing" if you get my meaning. The stories might be longer, but not told differently. Larry King and World report are identical. All the regular shows are the same. It is really not "different" enough to make it worth anyone's while.

See ya
Tony

The writing and reporting at CNN-I has a more balanced and objective slant than CNN-US so as to appeal to international audiences and compete with the BBC. Watching one of their newscasts is like being in a different world from Blitzer-Cooper-Zahn-Dobbs. It is much more the real story reported with balance and depth.

Since we don't get CNN-I we can't do this, but if the opportunity arises, check out a 1/2 hour newscast from CNN-I vs. a 1/2 hour of "news" the same day from CNN-U.S. and you'll see the difference.

Last edited:
Guys, even BBC World still is protective of what they say. CNN-I too.

I watch IRIB, Persian news. The bad thing is, it is government controlled. However, they cover a VAST topic of issues.

I would say the best news I have seen is news from the Middle East, in Arabic. Though I cannot understand Arabic, the English subtitles were very good, and the stories were very, very thorough. LOTS of things going on in Iraq that are never reported here. Lots of things going on in other parts of the world that no one knows about here.

Yes, Dish needs to offer other options for international news. Don't think that BBC and CNN-I are the best options though.....

thanks.

leegart said:
I am also a native American but I have traveled overseas and have friends in Europe. I am tired of the "dumbed-down" lazy cable and network news which is "forced" on us. I also agree that CNN-U.S. is getting hard to tolerate.

BBC, CNN-International and the others mentioned do a far better job of objectively, skillfully and substantively reporting news from other countries. We Americans need to (and should want to know) what is happening in the rest of the world. Satellite technology is perfect for bringing this to us. D* and E* are both not realizing their potential.

I would love to be able to tune in the BBC or CNN-I any time of the day or night and really find out what is happening. How about it DISH!!!! !protest
and what happened to Headline news? It was good for 25 years,then we have to have Glenn Beck and Nancy Grace, plus a 30 min tape all nite long and no fresh news till 6 am."All News Network" was terrible but now better than HNN.(Dont know if it is still broadcasting).We need real news and I agree totally with your comment.

leegart said:
I really wish our friends at DISH would give us the new BBC World news channel and CNN-International! We are relegated to CNN-US, Headline News, MSNBC, you- know-what on Channel 205, and the few hours of BBC News on BBC-America. I don't feel that I am getting enough balanced, intelligent, substantive international news reporting. To me, this should be a fundamental advantage of satellite TV over domestic cable. Where is it? protest ?

Try the Democracy Now! News Report that is broadcast on both Free Speech TV (9415) and Link (9410). FSTV also broadcasts the INN news reports that provides a different prospective on world-wide events.

tripod said:
and what happened to Headline news? It was good for 25 years,then we have to have Glenn Beck and Nancy Grace, plus a 30 min tape all nite long and no fresh news till 6 am."All News Network" was terrible but now better than HNN.(Dont know if it is still broadcasting).We need real news and I agree totally with your comment.

I agree though I always thought HNN kept the stories too short. It used to be nice to know that they were there doing some news at least.

Now, not only do we get Glenn Beck and Nancy Grace once but we get the same show repeated again shortly after the first go around. This kind of talking head stuff isn't working for MSNBC (except for news-oriented Keith Olberman and Chris Matthews) so why is HNN venturing into it?:confused:

YoMamasMan said:
Try the Democracy Now! News Report that is broadcast on both Free Speech TV (9415) and Link (9410). FSTV also broadcasts the INN news reports that provides a different prospective on world-wide events.

But part of the idea is to get news 24/7 when you want it. :hungry: BBC-World and CNN-I have newscasts for at least the first 30 minutes of virtually every hour of the day or night.

jollygrunt said:
Is there any chance of getting Sky News?

I've enjoyed watching it on the Fox Soccer Channel between airing of Sky Sports News.

I realized last week that they showed real news on Fox Soccer Channel and it's loads better than the "world" news from the US. I usually just record that and watch it a few hours later when I'm in the mood for the real news, without the anti-war propaganda or Natalee Holloway, cruise line murder, general Nancy Grace bs that the red states eat up. It's great because they show video from the streets as part of actual stories about Iraq and Afghanistan (what's that?).

The Sky News at (2000 GMT?) is on at 5 PM EDT on Fox Soccer Channel. And it is at least nice to have a different look at news, and nice that they air it in a timeslot where it's not up against BBC News at 6 PM EDT on BBC America.

Also, CNN International is on CNN US for an hour a day, at 12 Noon EDT. Highly recommended. Nice to see "real news" on a news channel.

jegrant said:
Also, CNN International is on CNN US for an hour a day, at 12 Noon EDT. Highly recommended. Nice to see "real news" on a news channel.

Good but NOT ENOUGH! But you DO get to see how much better it is than what preceeds or follows it on CNN-U.S.

jegrant said:
The Sky News at (2000 GMT?) is on at 5 PM EDT on Fox Soccer Channel. And it is at least nice to have a different look at news, and nice that they air it in a timeslot where it's not up against BBC News at 6 PM EDT on BBC America.

I still wish something was available after 7 pm when I get home from work.

Petrovich said:
I still wish something was available after 7 pm when I get home from work.

Record the BBC News at 6. Better than nothing (which is close to what is on later).

Yes, Worldlink's daily re-broadcast of news from foriegn news services in English is one of the best kept secrets. It is a really good program.

I just came back from an international trip. The coverage of the Middle East Crisis on CNN-International seemed more continuous and comprehensive than on CNN-U.S. DISH! Help us out here!:hungry:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)