We Really Had It Great With Voom!!

Mdonnelly i think Voom could have been very successful if they had a larger customer base. I know local channels were a problem for some people who couldn't receive them over the air for what ever reasons. As for higher rates they could have been the same as D* or E* but i would still like to have Voom back.

I have to agree with 007BlackMan, Jamey K and Bookwalk...I've only done spot checks on the Dish situation, but what I've seen at this point makes me very glad that I decided to abandon them all after VoOm died. For those who think that VoOm would have ended up this way if they had survivied, maybe you're right, but I still think it would have been a better value than anything else being offered today.
Think I'll go cry (or maybe drink) now.:river
Vicki

My advice to DBS subscribers who want VOOM or something like it... WITHHOLD YOUR SUBSCRIPTION DOLLARS! Money talks. The providers will deliver faster if they are not getting your money until they deliver. But if you subscribe to them now, what they heck, why should they spend any more money? They get your money every month anyway. They got you where they want you.

1080iBeVuMiNot!!

Voom To The End

I Realy Hate Not Having All Of Vooms Ch Selections. Cable Is A******* Joke, And (d Tv) Has Very Few Deals And Very Little Hd Programing. So For Now Im (sorta) Loving My (e ,with Americas Every Thing Pac+hd +voom) And Will! Upgrade When Avail To Mpeg4. I Just Dont Know How Many Dishs And Ants My Wife Will Put Up With.

1080iBeVuMin said:
My advice to DBS subscribers who want VOOM or something like it... WITHHOLD YOUR SUBSCRIPTION DOLLARS! Money talks. The providers will deliver faster if they are not getting your money until they deliver. But if you subscribe to them now, what they heck, why should they spend any more money? They get your money every month anyway. They got you where they want you.
1080iBeVuMiNot!!
IMHO, simply not subscribing doesn't send the message either. If nobody subscribes to the Voom Pak for example, E* is likely to come to the conclusion that people aren't interested in HD. They really have no way of knowing why more people aren't subscribing and are likely to come to the wrong conclusion. On the other hand, when more customers sign up it sends the message that this is a growing and lucrative category that they should be spending more effort developing.
Now I agree that currently neither E* nor D*'s overall offerings are as satisfying as Voom DBS was, and both of their HD Lite downrezzing practices are disturbing. But I think that we've got to first take the step of convincing the providers that we're a large enough group that they should be concerned with satisfying. The only way to do that is to sign up. Then complain loudly whenever they screw us. Have reasonable patience, things won't get better overnight but perhaps with enough feedback from customers they will. If this doesn't seem to work, then look for something better. If it gets to that, cancellations are heard a lot louder than simply not subscribing in the first place.
The Voom channels have been disappointing since moving to E*, but at least they are still there. Now looks like they will be finally adding enough new programming to be worth it again. I even have faith that they will be back to real HD eventually. If not, E* + OTA locals is still the best option in my area for HD, and I'll just have to keep complaining to E* until their abysmal customer service pisses me off for the last time.

I miss VOOM too. Do you think in 50 years we could all get together and have a party? Kind of like survivors of the Titanic ! Kind of a depressing analogy, but the best I could come up with.

Hey, who was the guy telling everybody over a year ago that the DirecTV HD DVR (HR10-250) would be obsolete in a few months? That was over a year ago. Mine still is great and they're still selling them new.

Yep, we were lucky to have VOOM. At least we were part of the lucky few who had that geat year or so.

See ya around, folks.

Vbay Equipment

Not only was the programming breathtaking; the equipment performed admirably after a few installer quibbles were quieted. I have never used E bay; but I did great at VOOM bay. Three receivers with remotes who today continue to feed OTA HD & SD in southern California to three RePlay TVs keep me entertained until something better comes along.
I believe they cost me 33 cents each with a 24in and a 30in. pigeon roosts thrown in. I can't even get Dish or cable to tell me how much they would cost after the first three months, and all of the telemarketers who call couldn't find a BANDwidth if it were playing. Yeah; I miss VOOM too.
mike in So. Cal.

Vooms programming was the best.

OHMS said:
Not only was the programming breathtaking; the equipment performed admirably after a few installer quibbles were quieted. I have never used E bay; but I did great at VOOM bay. Three receivers with remotes who today continue to feed OTA HD & SD in southern California to three RePlay TVs keep me entertained until something better comes along.
I believe they cost me 33 cents each with a 24in and a 30in. pigeon roosts thrown in. I can't even get Dish or cable to tell me how much they would cost after the first three months, and all of the telemarketers who call couldn't find a BANDwidth if it were playing. Yeah; I miss VOOM too.
mike in So. Cal.
OHMS i have to say your right about Voom's programming it was breathtaking. As for the equipment my 18" Voom Dish didn't work well when it was raining. Rain fade was a big problem for me any time it would rain. I did get upgraded to a 24" dish and my rain fade problems went away. So that would be my only quibble when it comes to Voom's equipment.

Interesting! It will soon be a year since VOOM as a DBS provider ceased its existence. However, we still have 40 to 60 people browsing these VOOM DBS forums on any given hour on any given day. (More than in our HDTV Programming area!) Right now there are more than 20 people staring at the VOOM News and Developments forum alone, even though there have been no news and developments in the past few months... ;)

I think it's ghosts! Lost soles of all those former VOOM customers who still can't find peace after losing their VOOM DBS...

This forum is like the duracell batteries. The bunny is still going. The answer will be with FIOS TV. FIOS TV will challenge both satellite/cable companies and will deliver better programming and better quality. It is only a matter of when it is going to get to my neighborhood. Until them this is a ghost that going around this forum :)

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question but since I'm a former voomer I will ask the experts. What are the resolution numbers for true HD? I see Ilya has 1280x1080 is HD lite. Are there any programs that are broadcast in true HD since Voom went down?

The off-air stuff is as good as you can get aside from c-band 1st gen signals.

PBD HD is excellent here as well as NBC on some shows (Tonight show looks like you're in the audience). The local CBS claims to have the best picture in Phoenix. I haven't watched in a while but I've heard letterman looks good too.

Ilya said:
Interesting! It will soon be a year since VOOM as a DBS provider ceased its existence. However, we still have 40 to 60 people browsing these VOOM DBS forums on any given hour on any given day. (More than in our HDTV Programming area!) Right now there are more than 20 people staring at the VOOM News and Developments forum alone, even though there have been no news and developments in the past few months... ;)
I think it's ghosts! Lost soles of all those former VOOM customers who still can't find peace after losing their VOOM DBS...
It's Charlie's fault. ;-)
Maybe experiencing E* again with the poor equipment, HD Lite, constant software downgrades, abysmal customer service, screw-you attitude towards their existing customers, and apparently dysfunctional internal communications just made us Voomers wish for the old days.
(The sad thing is E* is still better than my local cable company!)
Bob

Discovery, PBS, NBC, CBS, HBo, Showtime, HDNET & HDMOVIES has true 1080 resolution. The rest are 1/2 HD (ABC, Fox, Espn, TNT)

Kentstater72 said:
Then OTA is 1920 X 1080i?

or 1280x720p usually. OTA broadcasters must adhere to ATSC standards. The kicker is the bitrate. If the affiliate multicasts then he's cutting down the bitrate of the HD channel to offer a subchannel. You know that. You are no newbie. LOL

Yup, Comca$t just sent their latest rate increase letter. Now they are charging for the digital boxes which were previously free with the Gold package. Makes me miss Voom more and more. Will not go back to E* and they would tell me to f** off since I was a previous sub. STill have great OTA.

Miss Voom and all the Voomers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts