We Want Rsn's Charlie!

Well fact is Dish offers more HD Channels than Direct just do the math. So I would say that Dish has added more HD over the last year or two compared to Direct. So it seems that Direct has fallen behind some and what they say and what happens is two different things. To say Direct gives folks what they want well that might happen sometimes.But it seems Direct makes allot of claims to things that have not happen yet. But we will see what happens to Direct after Liberty Media gets control. Either way my point is that Dish offers more HD content which is a fact like I said do the math compared the two. Dish gives folks what they want they are just more realistic about is all. As far as Voom is concerned Direct is looking in trying to get it since they made claims about 100 HD channels.

Last edited:
Just do the math. LMAO! Add up the number of households that each provider can bring HD locals too. DirecTV wins! Add up the number of households that each provider can bring HD RSNs to. Dish has zero. It's a fact and it's today, not in the future.

DirecTV has more HD channels.

Well thats the only thing that Direct has is yes they might offer HD Locals in just a few more markets but not much more. Then yes Direct offers the RSN's but that is it which still leaves them behind Dish in HD Programing. Say what you want but all folks half to do is go to Direct site and Dish site and compare their HD Programing Packages. It's easy to see that Dish offers more and has far as local markets in HD Dish has allot plus adding more just like Direct. So after anyone compares the two HD Programing Packages Dish offers more. So if I was on Direct I would only get between 12-15 channels with Dish I can get around 30 when they add my locals that gives me 4 more which would put that at 34. Then when I get my one RSN channel that would be one more which would be 35 channels. As far as locals neither Direct or Dish offers them but even without those four channels I still get more with Dish.

Either way I'm not going to argue we will agree to disagree but all anyone needs to do is go to their site and compare their HD Packages.

Here a list of local markets Dish has.

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/hdlocal.htm

Ok here what anyone would get on Direct as far has HD Programing.

Direct TV HD Programing

1. HBO
2.Showtime

"National Channels"
3.TNTHD
4.ESPNHD
5.ESPN2HD
6.UniversialHD
7.DiscoveryHD
8.HDNET
9.HDMovies
10.PayPer View
11.RSN Channel

4 Locals if they Have Them In Your Market.
12.ABC
13.NBC
14.CBS
15.FOX

Dish HD Programing

15 Voom Channels

"National Channels"

16.National Geographic HD
17.TNTHD
18.ESPNHD
19.ESPN2HD
20.Discovery HD
21.UniversalHD
22.HGTVHD
23.Food Network HD
24.Pay Perview
25.NFLHD
26.HDNET
27.HDMovies

28.HBOHD
29.ShowtimeHD
30.StarzHD

4 Locals HD If They Have Your Market.
31.CBS
32.NBC
33.Fox
34.ABC

Then when Dish adds RSN that would be one more which would be 35.Plus we might be getting A&E HD going by the last uplink report. But its easy to see that Dish has more National Channels Networks like FoodHd and HGTV NGHD plus one more movie channel in Starz. Also was smart on Dish part buying Voom Satellite that way they could carry even more HD Channels. Rather you like a HD Channel or not it still a network channel.

Last edited:
I liked Dish's HD lineup, and liked some of the Voom content. Bottom line I switched to D* for the HD RSNs and locals (inlucding MY Network TV for HD sports too.) When it comes to locals D* trumps. When it comes to nationals, E* trumps.

The real question is will this change in Q3 2007 with more capacity for D*. I expect they will go national on the HD-RSNs for the sport packages in HD. Plus they just secured MLB XI package exclusivity. Hopefully in 2008 that will be an HD package like NFL superfan.

Picture is clear today - Sports D*, Content E*.

Trust me, I've compared. No one on this site would deny that Dish has far more national HD channels than DirectTV. But Dish does not have RSNs in HD.

Are you better off having more channels that you don't watch or having fewer channels but are ones you actually watch?

I don't subscribe to HDPlatinum just because I want more channels. I subscribe to HD Platinum because the channels I watch are in that programming tier.

I don't subcribe to Dish Network because they have more national HD channels. I switched from DirecTV because Dish Network was the first to provide my local channels.

I'm not going to stay with Dish just because they have National Geo, Starz, and Voom in HD. I might switch because DirecTV now is the first to have locals and RSNs in HD. I just have to figure out where to put the new slimline dish.

By my comparison, DirecTV wins, hands down.
So back to the original topic which is: WE WANT RSNs, CHARLIE!

Last edited:
Well we will half to wait and see what Dish does with the RSN's it will be nice to have.

Food and HGTV in HD forgot about those. Don't watch 'em. Voom seen all I want to see. Starz poor PQ. National Geo I love but can catch up on next winter when DirecTV has it. HD locals for Reno DMA no plans from Dish. HD RSNs Charlie is too cheap.

Hate to give up my 622 but it is about the TV programming isn't it?

Don't confuse facts with reality!

Is there hope?

I just got a tidbit from another site. This was a response to someone's recent email to E*:

Thanks for your inquiry. You bring up, a good point. At this
time, Dish is presently organizing all the RSN's for HD conversion; as
well as home sports teams in target areas. It is a true digital 1080i
HD format, and the picture/action looks great. Hopefully, you'll see a
change in the latter of the 1st quarter of 2007 or possibly the start of
the 2nd quarter. Thanks for your time.

Frank Barcia
Executive Communications
Echostar Satellite LLC.
dba Dish Network

Sounds promising. I hope it's true 'cause I just bought a D* Slimline dish on eBay, just in case Charlie fails. Got a great price and will gladly resell it if Uncle Chuck can get my FSN Bay Area up by April 3rd. Barry Zito in the Black & Orange, oh my!

I just got a tidbit from another site. This was a response to someone's recent email to E*:

Thanks for your inquiry. You bring up, a good point. At this
time, Dish is presently organizing all the RSN's for HD conversion; as
well as home sports teams in target areas. It is a true digital 1080i
HD format, and the picture/action looks great. Hopefully, you'll see a
change in the latter of the 1st quarter of 2007 or possibly the start of
the 2nd quarter. Thanks for your time.

Frank Barcia
Executive Communications
Echostar Satellite LLC.
dba Dish Network

Sounds promising. I hope it's true 'cause I just bought a D* Slimline dish on eBay, just in case Charlie fails. Got a great price and will gladly resell it if Uncle Chuck can get my FSN Bay Area up by April 3rd. Barry Zito in the Black & Orange, oh my!

I think the keywords here are "hopefully" and "possibly"....it used to be "soon" when it comes to the HD RSN's....I will believe it when i can actually "see" my RSN in HD.

Just happened to go to the 'My Account' section of the Dish Website to get my account info and I noticed a side menu that said 'HD Information'. I clicked on it and was very surprised to see NESN and FOX Sports in HD are being advertised as part of the top 3 HD packages!! What's up with that?

John

I don't think they mean you get the HD version of those. They are just showing that the RSN's are included in the package. It says nothing about them being in HD.

I don't think they mean you get the HD version of those. They are just showing that the RSN's are included in the package. It says nothing about them being in HD.

I just checked out the My Account section and mine does indeed say Fox Sports North available under certain HD packages in the HD Information menu. I don't think they're talking about the SD channels since it's the HD Information page. That being said, I don't think this means we'll get the HD RSN's any sooner.

That would be nice but I highly doubt it.

Yea I check the uplink report every week for this very reason- to see if the RSNs have gone live. Especially the NHLHD channels. But it has been so long now, I've pretty much filed it under 'not gonna happen'. :(

I think Brad meant this kind of green:

Green-Money-man.gif

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)