Weak 110 Signal

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

J45p3r

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2004
I just got D* installed a a couple days ago and the installer says the best he can get for signal on 110 is about a 40-50. We have 101 and 119 in the 90's. At one point while aiming the dish we had the 110 signal up to 90, but we weren't able to get 101 or 119 while 110 was strong. Once we got 101 and 119 strong, 110 was weak.

He says this is typical for our area and nothing can be done.

Receiver is Hughes HTL-HD, dish is Triple LNB dish with built in switch. Area is Eastern Maine.

Today we have a fairly weak weather system moving through, but some of my HD stations are experincing brief signal drops with only fairly light rain. Bummer.

Is there anything we can do? *IS* this a normal problem for my area?

Thanks!

As an installer I would say it is not normal in any area. The problem is more than likely a slightly bent dish. The oval dishes can be bent very easily and not even be visible and will throw one of the sat. off of the correct line of sight. I would recomend having a new dish installed as you will need the 110 sat. for hd programming...

dalos2004 said:
As an installer I would say it is not normal in any area. The problem is more than likely a slightly bent dish. The oval dishes can be bent very easily and not even be visible and will throw one of the sat. off of the correct line of sight. I would recomend having a new dish installed as you will need the 110 sat. for hd programming...
Well I would do that, but the installer insisted that 50 was actually pretty good and that of several installs that he has done, including his own, was pretty much typical. So I dunno???

J45p3r said:
Well I would do that, but the installer insisted that 50 was actually pretty good and that of several installs that he has done, including his own, was pretty much typical. So I dunno???

That's not exactly a rousing endorsement for his ability if he can't even get his own system aligned properly.

There is NO reason, apart from obstructions, i.e. trees, a building would qualify, too, for you not to be able to get much higher numbers and still be aligned with all the birds. 50 is dismal and as you have discovered, not at all reliable. Insist that it be redone and by someone competent.

On the other hand, things could have been a LOT worse. You could have had this guy.....

http://www.news10.net/storyfull1.asp?id=7740

all 3 sat.'s should be relatively the same.. I have seen it numerous times. 50% is not acceptable for any sat signal and the person who stated that there was no other reason besides obstructions obvilously doesn't know anything at all. Take the advice of a 6 year veteran and have the dish changed. Sounds like your installer was a rookie and didn't know how to ask questions or how to properly troubleshoot the problem..

dalos2004 said:
all 3 sat.'s should be relatively the same.. I have seen it numerous times. 50% is not acceptable for any sat signal and the person who stated that there was no other reason besides obstructions obvilously doesn't know anything at all. Take the advice of a 6 year veteran and have the dish changed. Sounds like your installer was a rookie and didn't know how to ask questions or how to properly troubleshoot the problem..

Would you care to enlighten us instead of insulting? I don't think it's fair to assume I don't know anything. While I don't have your obvious experience, I have installed several dishes successfully AND with high numbers.

So what, pray tell, did I leave out that was really relevant to the obvious fact that his installer was, in your own words, "a rookie"?

didn't mean to offend.. so i apologize. but for future reference that is probably the #1 reason a person would experience that sort of signal problem on one sat.. I took your reply about having this guy the wrong way and do apologize...

Okay, I'm back in my corner. Your apology is accepted and appreciated

Now, I really wouldn't mind hearing other reasons that I may not know or have forgotten. And it would help others that visit these forums and that is why they're here.

Now I had alluded to obstructions being the only reason for an unacceptable signal level. Of course, that assumed that the dish was installed correctly. So what else is there?

Besides defective components? There's one I forgot. Darn these dying grey cells!!

Definately no obstructions, it's mounted at the peak of a 2 story house well above the trees in our yard.

I spoke with the owner of the company that installed the dish yesterday and he said he also has this problem at his home. I think It's unlikly I'll be able to get him to send out someone to change out the dish since he says he and his installer have the same problem. Can I call DirecTV on this issue and see what they say?

Are you all absolutely certain my location has nothing to do with a weak reception on 110?

Ok, well, I'm deffinately going to get them to come back. It's crystal clear star shine here and Sat 110 Transponder 10 is down at about 33 signal level and I can't get HBO or Showtime HD.

Go into your set-up menu put your zip code in and see what the tilt should be on your dish it is important that the mast is absolutly plumb and the tilt or skew is set correctly.
Those numbers(signal level) aren't typical for maine.

dishjockey said:
Go into your set-up menu put your zip code in and see what the tilt should be on your dish it is important that the mast is absolutly plumb and the tilt or skew is set correctly.
Those numbers(signal level) aren't typical for maine.
What would be typical for Maine?

Ok a little more info. I'm currently in a nightmare with getting the installer back out here. They were supposed to come Friday afternoon, so I took Friday afternoon off. I wait, and wait, and wait. At 3 I call and find out whats up. "We'll look into it. Hmm, we can't get a hold of him, I'll call you back." I wait a half hour for a call back. "Sorry, he is going to need a special ladder to reach your higher roof. He doesn't have on with him." I think, well no problem I have a ladder here he can use. "Mubbles in the background... Well he is afraid of heights. I can have our other installer come by your house on Saturday afternoon." At this point I'm pretty angry about missing an afternoon of work (about $70 worth) but I accept figuring, what can I do?

We move forward to Saturday: He said he'd be here "late" afternoon. I wait until 3:30 and call. No answer, it's getting dark. I wait until 4, then 4:30 and now it's completely dark. I give up, now I've been stiffed twice. To make matters worse, I've known the owner of the install company for a LONG time and he is really nice. It's gonna be hard to go in and give him a piece of my mind, but I guess at this point I have no choice, I'm out 2 afternoons and $70.

NOW more importantly I guess, question for you guys. I only start losing the 110 signal around 7PM EVERY night. Does this make sense? When I wake up in the morning around 4:30 the signal is back up around 50 (good enough that it works) and stays around 50 until 7PM when it drops to around 35-40. What would cause the singal to drop at 7PM?

I had a install in maine. I remember all the sat's were about the same, if anything 110 and 119 were higher then 101.

Uhm, regardless of where you are in the US. Your sat strength should be ABOVE 70. Granted, not on all transponders. (Trans 1 & 2 on the 101 and I can't remember the other ones at this moment.)

Anyhow, you should call DTV, tell them about the issues you've been having. If needed go to their CRG dept (Cancellations) and they can get somebody to you faster usually. At least they can esc the workorder. It looks like you have been through hell with this company.

Just make sure when you call tell them you've tried EVERYTHING that you can do with these installers and how many times they've left you hanging for this install. Demand a credit! =) (You are allowed $20 per missed installer/service call)

~

The test transponders are as follows:

101 sat: 1 & 2
110 sat: 8, 10, & 12
119 sat: 26 & 27

Yes, 50 is very low. You should be getting somewhere in the 80 range in Maine, minimally. If your installer does a good job, its not unheard of to hit the 90's with some fine tuning.

Call DirecTV. 1-800-695-9251 will get you directly to tier 2 if there isnt a high call flow. (30 minute hold puts you back into the tier 1 queue) Call late at night to guarantee direct T2 connect if possible. If there is a hold time, be sure and ask when they answer if its T2. If not, tell them you were disconnected from T2 earlier, and could they please forward you there. Tier 2 can also do a work order escalation if necessary and we can get someone out there to take care of the problem.

As a note, only use this number when having serious issues. T1 can handle most things, but when you are definitely going to need a service call, use this one.

If I do that, what techs will D* send to my house? If they're the same guys my local company uses, I think I'll still be in the same boat since they claim there is no way to get a good signal in this area (and they've never done an install with a good signal)

When you go to the car lot the sales person tells you that this is a great car but you will only be able to drive it tuesday wednesday and sometimes on saturday and only during hours of darkness. Would you buy this car? If the answer is no don't take this run around from a satellite company. If you can't get resolution report the company to the BBB, call directv, THE SQUEAKY WHEEL GETS OILED. If you let them walk all over you they will, no one gets paid to come fix your system so they won't come unless you make them. If directv sends someone out this is a different story they really don't have anything to do with your local retailer. But they will work for a HSP which isn't much better. Good Luck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts