Weak Odd Transponders 19-31

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

sdlevi27

Original poster
Nov 20, 2005
Within the last week I noticed very weak (0-40) signal strength on the odd transponders 19-31 on the 101 sat as well as the odd transponders 17-32 on the 119 sat. All other transponders are 80-100.

I'm suspecting a bad switch (I have a Zinwell 4x8 powered switch), but I wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas before I start pulling things apart.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!

sdlevi27 said:
Within the last week I noticed very weak (0-40) signal strength on the odd transponders 19-31 on the 101 sat as well as the odd transponders 17-32 on the 119 sat. All other transponders are 80-100.

I'm suspecting a bad switch (I have a Zinwell 4x8 powered switch), but I wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas before I start pulling things apart.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Could be the LNBs if you find the switch is ok.

damaged said:
Could be the LNBs if you find the switch is ok.

Thanks, just bypassed the switch and i get 80+ on all transponders. First time in 3+ years I've ever had an equipment problem with D*. Is this rare for this kind of switch or is this pretty common?

I do not know the average MTBF of multiswitches, it depends on the amount of exposure, quality of grounding, coax locations, and their exposure to lightning, hours of operation, heat, if it uss an external power adapter, could be the adapter not generating the required power (due to component failure, and is IT surge protected with a newer than one year old surge supressor), water could have leaked in and made a short, etc, did you check to make sure the system is grounded properly (still)? (check for corrosion or breaks or bad contact with grounding wires and blocks), perhaps a nearby strike caused a premature failure due to a flakey ground or water.

Or it was just this switches time to die.

Very strange, I connected it all back up to the switch and now i'm getting 80+ on all transponders. I did let the switch "rest" for about 5 minutes without power. The only thing I did beyond power cycling the switch was disconnecting 1 of the inputs into the switch to direct connect to a TV to get the signal meter. Perhaps that one input wasn't on all the way?

Switch is indoors (in my basement) and is plugged directly into an outlet (no surge protector).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)