Weather on the 8's live

I'll continue on the off topic:

The other night on Top Chef (Bravo 129) there was an interactive poll that I took part in.

The poll asked who was the sexiest Judge.

There was an interactive button (like on CNN) and when I pressed it the 3 choices came up in a little bar at the bottom of the screen and I used the arrow keys to choose.

Right before the next commercial break the results were shown.

It was pretty cool. Almost like the entire 15 second commercial was built for Dish.

I wish I had better details but I wasn't really taking good mental notes ;)

Any news as to when E* might be able to get this software working?

I read at avsforum that D* sent out a software update that enabled the "active" button on the H20 receiver and now they get local weather and lottery info.

I wish they would get it soon.I saw it on cable yesterday and they not only show your local radar but also a seperate radar from several states.The've also added the high and low temperature meaning yesterdays high and yesterdays low.Not only that they have text forcast.If we could only get it like that on dish.Is Direct Tv's local weather like local on the 8's on cable?

If dish would give us Weather Scan the problem would be solved.It's put on by the weather channel but it just shows your local reginal weather,forcast,radar,current conditions etc.There is no narration on this channel just 24 hrs of this accompined by music.I've emailed dish and ask them to put it on.I'm waiting for a response.

weather.com - Weatherscan

If dish would give us Weather Scan the problem would be solved.It's put on by the weather channel but it just shows your local reginal weather,forcast,radar,current conditions etc.There is no narration on this channel just 24 hrs of this accompined by music.I've emailed dish and ask them to put it on.I'm waiting for a response.

weather.com - Weatherscan

Now that would be an addition worth having.

How about everyone here emailing dish and asking for this channel?I don't think we are going to be getting local on the 8's because of the software issue their having.Weather Scan is better anyway.Your local weather 24hrs a day with no commercials and no people just music.

I saw it on cable yesterday...
I've mentioned it before and based on what some people have said, they've NEVER seen The Weather Channel on cable, where it's truly localized. Some are tickled pink about the preview they've seen on Dish but still don't know what they're missing.

I've also read comments from Dish people saying it will be "just like on cable" but so far, they haven't shown us that version !

How about everyone here emailing dish and asking for this channel?I don't think we are going to be getting local on the 8's because of the software issue their having.Weather Scan is better anyway.Your local weather 24hrs a day with no commercials and no people just music.

Well if they can't give you local on the 8's I don't see how they could give you WeatherScan either. I'm sure there is a way, but whether they want to spend the money or not to do it is the question.

I've mentioned it before and based on what some people have said, they've NEVER seen The Weather Channel on cable, where it's truly localized. Some are tickled pink about the preview they've seen on Dish but still don't know what they're missing.

I've also read comments from Dish people saying it will be "just like on cable" but so far, they haven't shown us that version !

I respectfully beg to differ. I've seen it on Cox cable system for years.

This is directly from The Weather Channel website...
Local Forecast/Local on the 8's FAQ and Assistance Request Form

1 What happened to Local on the 8s?
1 What happened to Local on the 8s?
AnswerOur direct broadcast (DIRECTV, DISH Network, EchoStar, etc...) and satellite subscribers will not receive the same local forecast and current conditions data as our cable subscribers. Instead, they will see a series of regional radar/satellite composite maps followed by a display of forecast information for selected cities across the country. There is no technology currently in place that will allow each individual satellite subscriber to receive the same local weather presentations our cable subscribes have grown accustomed to seeing. We receive these requests quite frequently, so we will certainly keep your suggestions for when the system can support severe weather alerts and local radar maps.
"

Who do you "beg to differ" with, my comments or Dish's ??

This

"they've NEVER seen The Weather Channel on cable, where it's truly localized."

I've seen it, The quote I posted from the The Weather Channel verifies it. Cable customers receive customized local info including current conditions, local radar, local weather alerts.

I suggest you re-read my first post you quoted from then.... Well, let me clarify, if one has always had satellite and basically no local weather other than the Accuweather crap and now think the TWC addition is an improvement, maybe it is over what they're used to. Watch TWC on a cable system though and see how much MORE improvement there can be. I really hope that Dish's changes to TWC is not the limit to what they can do or offer.

I suggest you re-read my first post you quoted from then.... Well, let me clarify, if one has always had satellite and basically no local weather other than the Accuweather crap and now think the TWC addition is an improvement, maybe it is over what they're used to. Watch TWC on a cable system though and see how much MORE improvement there can be. I really hope that Dish's changes to TWC is not the limit to what they can do or offer.

Oh, maybe I misunderstood your post.

I just wish we had something at least comparable to what I had with Cox Cable. When violent weather ( read Tornadoes in OK ) moved in I got a loud beep and a big crawl along the bottom in white letters on red background. I know that is not possible but at least local conditions and radar would be nice.

I'm pretty sure we WILL get the Emergency Alert system that cablecos have already. I think there is a "law" that is forcing the satellite providers to implement this. The truly "local" weather option is just that, an option.

We do need the same weather setup that cable can offer. I realize it is easier said than done, of course. Thing is, I can watch TWC on cable and leave it there and catch information that's interesting and affects me. Not so with TWC on satellite. If I want to know the weather, I look outside. If I want to know what they're guessing for tomorrow, I use the internet.

I'm pretty sure we WILL get the Emergency Alert system that cablecos have already. I think there is a "law" that is forcing the satellite providers to implement this. The truly "local" weather option is just that, an option.

We do need the same weather setup that cable can offer. I realize it is easier said than done, of course. Thing is, I can watch TWC on cable and leave it there and catch information that's interesting and affects me. Not so with TWC on satellite. If I want to know the weather, I look outside. If I want to know what they're guessing for tomorrow, I use the internet.

Agreed. But even then E* has their ways... I mentioned earlier that the FCC LAW says it's only required for National Activations of EAS (when the country is about to be blown up and such). All local alerts are optional, unless of course local laws supersede that. I can't see why it would be THAT hard to even add a severe alert feature to the Channel 100 app (the graphics are old, too). Perhaps when they come out w/ their new satellites and even newer receivers, they can add something to continously monitor some data stream channel for alerts and even news, sports updates, and such, customized to your needs. A fusion of the Internet and TV.

If they get the must-carry rules for digital subchannels approved (which will not happen), then E* will be FORCED to carry PBS Digital, WX+, doppler radar, AccuWeather, and continuous news feed broadcast on the air.

And who knows, maybe, just maybe (as mentioned a couple of posts ago), there's something big going on at the iTV department, somthing involving CNN, ESPN, The Weather Channel, and others, something that maybe even Scott doesn't know about, and something that will be rolled out on August 15...

They could have added an additional weather channel for each DMA that shows the local content but doing what they said they would do should save a lot of bandwidth preventing from having to do that.

They could have added an additional weather channel for each DMA that shows the local content but doing what they said they would do should save a lot of bandwidth preventing from having to do that.
Yes, it would save bandwidth but it would be very complicated to do. The software, the this, the that, which is why not much has been shown. Something tells me Scott might know something he shouldn't...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)