Web Site Issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
I have a web site that quit working on my laptop using Win 10 with Chrome, MS Edge, and Firefox. Same web site also doesn’t work on my wife’s laptop. Tried it out on my cell phone using Chrome and it still does not work. In my cell phone I turned off the WiFi and then used Chrome thru my Verizon connection and it worked. So this is telling me there is something in my router not letting the web site go thru. I looked in my Netgear Orbi router security section and there is nothing listed to be blocked. All other web sites work going thru my router. Router software is up to date and I tried rebooting router. Does anyone have a clue what could be causing this issue?

You could very temporarily bypass the router, if it is not a sketchy site. This will let you know it is being blocked by your ISP or a glitch at your ISP.
I have ran into this a couple of times in the past. Making a call to the ISP resolved it.

You could very temporarily bypass the router, if it is not a sketchy site. This will let you know it is being blocked by your ISP or a glitch at your ISP.
I have ran into this a couple of times in the past. Making a call to the ISP resolved it.
What do you mean I could very temporarily bypass the router? The web site is not a sketchy. It is a pool service shop in Los Vegas. Is there a way the cable companies modem can block sites? I have the Gig service from Spectrum and they will not let customers look at the info in the web base IP address anymore. Can you try out the site? www.lucyspools.com. Thanks KE4EST.

Opens fine on my tablet

Attachments

• 1892F67B-53B4-4F3A-AA92-07982BD507BD.png
    1892F67B-53B4-4F3A-AA92-07982BD507BD.png
    182.5 KB · Views: 143
Reactions: charlesrshell
Opens fine on my Debian 9 box using Firefox. Comcast is my ISP and I'm using their DNS.

Have you tried a "private session" in your browsers?

You might also try setting your DNS server to a public one in the event that your ISPs DNS is fragged.

You should have lead with how the failure manifests itself (404, 5xx, browser security warning).

Still does not work in private mode. I will see if Spectrum Cable can fix issue before I try a public DNS. Attached is what I get.

Lucy Pools Web Site Issue.jpg

I would think it is something with the DNS servers of your internet provider. If for some reason you don't want to use these settings after then at least you know it is a problem with the DNS from your provider.
Go into your router, there is a setting for two dns server addresses. Unless you have done this already they will be the DNS servers of your internet provider. A setting should be to "use these DNS settings" or something similer that then allow you to put in your own DNS servers. Don't worry picking to use the provider's settings will return it to how it was.

Now enter these Google DNS servers, which very often are actually faster than the ones from the internet provider. Then pick apply or whatever you have to do that finishes it. Then I would restart the router.

Note - this can happen when a site changes their own provider or changes their domain name host provider etc and it takes time for it to circulate the internet. But Google will have it.

I would think it is something with the DNS servers of your internet provider. If for some reason you don't want to use these settings after then at least you know it is a problem with the DNS from your provider.
Go into your router, there is a setting for two dns server addresses. Unless you have done this already they will be the DNS servers of your internet provider. A setting should be to "use these DNS settings" or something similer that then allow you to put in your own DNS servers. Don't worry picking to use the provider's settings will return it to how it was.

Now enter these Google DNS servers, which very often are actually faster than the ones from the internet provider. Then pick apply or whatever you have to do that finishes it. Then I would restart the router.

Note - this can happen when a site changes their own provider or changes their domain name host provider etc and it takes time for it to circulate the internet. But Google will have it.

Thanks Tampa8. I just talked to Charter Cable and we did a test I should of thought of to help troubleshoot the issue. I plugged my laptop directly in to the modem by Ethernet cable by passing the router. The web site worked. So that means something in my Netgear Orbi router is the issue. I am now connected back thru my router and will try out Googles DNS server when wife lets me. :confused:

Coming up for me, but looks like it has been been updated in awhile as it states... "Pool Season is Coming to and End Save $$$" Pool season is just starting. :D

For a 408 error, I would scan your computer with Malware bites, everything I am reading says it can be caused by malware on your computer. Since others can get to it without any issue it seems to be an issue with your machine. If you have another machine or cell phone on wifi on that network see if you can get to it from them, if yes then its something on that machine.

Coming up for me, but looks like it has been been updated in awhile as it states... "Pool Season is Coming to and End Save $$$" Pool season is just starting. :D

For a 408 error, I would scan your computer with Malware bites, everything I am reading says it can be caused by malware on your computer. Since others can get to it without any issue it seems to be an issue with your machine. If you have another machine or cell phone on wifi on that network see if you can get to it from them, if yes then its something on that machine.
The web site works ok in my cell phone using Chrome if I turn off WiFi and go thru my Verizon connection. So I think Scott it must be something in my router preventing it to go thru.

I don't fully understand setting up Google DNS. See pic. Do you really think this is a DNS issue? Do you think I should call Netgear? Router is still fairly new.

Lucys Pools Web Site Issue-1.jpg

I don't fully understand setting up Google DNS. See pic. Do you really think this is a DNS issue? Do you think I should call Netgear? Router is still fairly new.

View attachment 139325

That's not the section. That is a very different input that allows you to contact your router wherever you are without knowing what the IP address is.

Looks like an Orbi issue. Used Dr Google and came up with this thread. Read it once and don't fully understand everything. Will read it again.

Orbi Blocking Websites - NETGEAR Communities

This sounds like a nightmare. I am so glad I did not go the MESH route this is only one of many problems I have read about. I didn't realize you had this system because my regular Netgear router works very well.
I don't know anything about them so I won't have much to help if that is indeed the problem. I will post a pic however what you should be looking for in the router to change if you want to try.

Netgear.jpg

Doesn't matter which order all 8's or the 8 8 4 4 can go first. It's worth trying rather than resetting the whole system as the link says you may need to do, and then maybe it still won't fix it. In your case changing this setting may not work if it's the Orbi system that is the problem but won't hurt and you can go back easily by re-picking get it automatically from the ISP. Going back to that does not require inputting anything it will be filled in automatically so very easy to go back to it.

OK, thanks Tampa8. I just got off the phone with Netgear Orbi department. First we went in to the page you posted and changed the DNS addresses. Still had issue so she had me select Use Computer MAC address in the Router MAC Address section, rebooted modem and router and that fixed it. I didn't really understand what she said the issue was but it had something to do with cloning the MAC Address. See pic for what everything is set at now. So do you understand what this here cloning the MAC Address is all about? Thanks to everyone who tried to help me.

Lucys Pools Web Site Issue-2.jpg

A 408 error is pretty weird. It says that the destination server is still waiting for the rest of your request and it is timing out. I'd have to think your router or your ISP is mangling your requests. I kinda doubt that you're router has been infected but if you connect a computer directly to your modem, you can eliminate/confirm the router as the problem. A Man-In-The-Middle attack could look like this I suppose.

Scott's suggestion that it is a virus is made unlikely by the fact that it impacts your phone but only when on the LAN. A virus probably wouldn't discriminate.

OK, thanks Tampa8. I just got off the phone with Netgear Orbi department. First we went in to the page you posted and changed the DNS addresses. Still had issue so she had me select Use Computer MAC address in the Router MAC Address section, rebooted modem and router and that fixed it. I didn't really understand what she said the issue was but it had something to do with cloning the MAC Address. See pic for what everything is set at now. So do you understand what this here cloning the MAC Address is all about? Thanks to everyone who tried to help me.

View attachment 139329

Hmm. That isn't usually what would be used it normally is default. It can often happen when there are too many "bridges" to the router with different MAC addresses which makes me think ORBI is to blame. By picking to use the Computer MAC it now sees only one. As long as it works no problem. If you find you can't reach sites again try going back to using the Default MAC.

Hmm. That isn't usually what would be used it normally is default. It can often happen when there are too many "bridges" to the router with different MAC addresses which makes me think ORBY is to blame. By picking to use the Computer MAC it now sees only one. As long as it works no problem. If you find you can't reach sites again try going back to using the Default MAC.
OK, thanks. So far everything is working ok. Time will tell.

UPDATE: Yesterday I tried out my Ring security cameras on my TV thru Alexia and they didn’t work. They use to work as of about two weeks ago. So I called Amazon Alexia help department and was on the phone with them for about a total of 1.5 hours. Nothing worked so he asked if I did any router setting changes lately. He had me reset the DNS Address from the Google settings to Get Automatically from ISP and the cameras still didn’t work. So he has escalated the issue to higher tech folks and suppose to call me back within three business days.

I tried out the Lucys Pools — Swimming Pool Tips Las Vegas site and it still worked. So this morning I also changed back the Router MAC Address to Use Default Address, Lucys Pools — Swimming Pool Tips Las Vegas site still worked. Cameras still do not work. So I have kept all the settings in my router which are the same as before I started having the Lucys Pools — Swimming Pool Tips Las Vegas web site issue. Go figure.

Attachments

• Lucys Pools Web Site Issue-3.jpg
    Lucys Pools Web Site Issue-3.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 172

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts