Wegener Receiver Help Needed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jduffin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
Salt Lake City, Utah
I recently bought a Wegener Unity 500 commercial receiver for a great price and have been testing it out. I am able to receive several "channels" on different satellites properly but am having problems with other channels.

I can lock onto the carrier for the Biography and History channels on 101W but get a "No MPEG" error and no viewable picture (very pixelated) for these. However, I can see 3ABN, BVN, and Sentenna sports just fine. I also have the same problem for NASA at 119W (but get a totally blank screen).

Can someone with a Wegener receiver tell me if they are able to receive these channels that I am having problems with? BTW, I have a Pansat 2500A which does receive these just fine -- so it is not an issue with signal level or proper LNB set up.

Thanks.

Are you able to access a setup menu on the Wegener? Since these commercial receivers are usually used to receive Ku-Band and not DBS-band, I would imagine the L.O. that the receiver is set for is 10750. Dish Network birds are circular, and use 11250 as a L.O. This is probably the reason you're not getting NASA on 119w.

Yes -- there is a setup menu and I have things configured as follows for NASA at 119W:

Carrier Frequency: 12370.75
Data Rate: 32.255
FEC: 7/8
Tag: 15
Program: 213
LNB LO: 11250
RF Polarization: Vertical

The receiver does lock onto the carrier, but I get the "No MPEG" error. I wanted to know if others who have Wegener receivers get the same error or if they are successful in getting a picture. The Wegener is different than a typical FTA receiver since there isn't a way to enter VPIDs and APIDs -- only a "program number". I suspect this may be what is causing the problem.

Have you tried using LNB 10750 instaead of LNB LO: 11250, give it a try and see what you get. Good luck !!:)

Jduffin,

Do you have the manual for this receiver? If you don't this may help, there is a lot of excellent information in here that will help you with this endeavor.

RADAR

Attachments

• Wegener UNITY 500 manual.pdf
    876.7 KB · Views: 716
Shouldn't your data rate be 20.000 not 32.225 and polarisation - Right for Nasa. (vertical selects the correct voltage if you do not have this option but signal will be low if using a standard/ universal LNB
What LNB are you using? The LO frequency should match the LNB.
Nasa Requires Circular polarisation and Bio/ History Linear polarisation.
what settings are you using for Bio/History?

Last edited:
Shouldn't your data rate be 20.000 not 32.225 and polarisation - Right for Nasa

Pedro, the polarization is correct (Right Hand circular is the same as Vertical) and the data rate might not be the same as the symbol rate, this might be akin to the bit-rate.

I am not sure of the data-rate, but it doesn't seem to correlate to symbol rate by numbers, so I think it may be something else. I think the manual for this receiver might explain it for him.

RADAR

Shouldn't your data rate be 20.000 not 32.225

SR is 20,000, data rate is something else (probably 32,225) based on calculations of modulation used, fec used, and SR used.

My question is if program 15 is correct for NASA TV. I don't recall what program number NASA is. 15 may be some other DISH Network service that is encrypted and thus the wegener can't process the feed because of the encryption and gives "no mpeg" message.

Radar: Sure RH and vertical are the same voltage but I am not sure he has a circular LNB. Oops Data rate and SR were normally the same but I should have read your manual. That window actually means Transport rate relating to MPEG packets which is 32,255. the Transport rate for Bio/ Hist will be 36.909
Skysurfer: I think Tag 15 just allows to receive a carrier without ID confirmation so might be the easiest.
Thanks guys

Thanks all for your responses. As I indicated in my original post, I can lock onto the carrier for Hist/Bio and also for NASA. This means that the carrier frequency, LO frequency, polarity, data rate, FEC, program number, and tag are all set up properly for those channels. There is just something in the data streams that the Wegener doesn't like. I am looking for confirmation that other Wegener receivers act in the same manner.

On another note -- I did confirm with Wegener that my receiver has the latest firmware installed in it.

AcWxRadar -- thanks for sending the manual. However, I already have it and have read through it several times looking for an answer.

I was hoping to set this up as a dedicated receiver for either the History or Biography channel. It looks like I am going to have to find another use for it. I can't complain too much -- I picked it up brand new off of ebay for $20.

That model may not be able to decode all video properly. I remember this being an issue with earlier models. They were primarily used for audio. I'll report back if I can find anything further.

There is just something in the data streams that the Wegener doesn't like. I am looking for confirmation that other Wegener receivers act in the same manner.

I think you are using the wrong settings. Based on your description, it sounds a lot like my Wegener 4422 in operation, so I locked the 119W carrier with the 4422, plugged in the right program number -- and it wasn't program 15 -- for NASA, and it came right up on my receiver.

I'd definitely recommend a low cost FTA consumer receiver for you for its simplicity, because even just changing to another program in the stream requires a few things you need to know to be able to program into the wegener. It's definitely not a receiver for beginners but if you have tough skin and patience and a few tools like a transport stream analyzer software to get you data you need for the wegener, you can learn a lot about DVB-S signals.

Skysurfer -- 15 is the tag number and the program number for NASA at 119W is 213.

I suspect that the 4422 and the 500 are very similiar in their operation. I would be very interested to know what your settings are for NASA and also for History/Biography and if you are able to receive them properly with your Wegener.

BTW -- I do have a Pansat 2500A for my primary FTA receiver. I bought this Wegener just for fun:).

Skysurfer -- 15 is the tag number and the program number for NASA at 119W is 213.

my setting were the same as yours (data rate, etc) and I used program 213 since a program number is required to tell the wegener what video service to tune.

"Tag" might be the receiver memory location number and your memory location 15 might not be set correctly for NASA TV.

My 4422 has 48 memory locations, btw.

Wegeners are definitely good for "set it and forget it". so much stuff needs to be inputted/known to tune just a single radio or tv service. consumer fta receivers are much easier since they'll scan/write to memory the channel layout and make it that you pretty much just have to channel up/down through the channels in memory. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)