Weighing A Potential EchoStar-DirecTV Merger

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Mr. Phillip Swann of TV predictions.com fancies himself a "Swanni". I really must do a complete satire someday.

Last time I checked Charlie was worth more if I am not mistaken. They were right next to each other on the list I believe.

E* is probably the worst-positioned company in the communications business. They do satellite TV and that's about it. D* at least has a large and interesting parent company.

Big business is all about generating new streams of revenue. The phone companies are looking at a potentially vast base of TV subscribers. The cable companies are even better off at the moment -- they're moving into the phone business faster, and at considerably less cost, than the phone companies are moving into the TV business.

In addition, Big Cable is either heavily in the programming end of things (Time Warner) or making large investments in that direction (Comcast).

Echostar's future is as a reasonably profitable division of a company that can exploit what satellite does well without being dependent on it, or as a privately-held company that doesn't have to satisfy investors' needs for growth, growth and more growth.

(edited for a grammatical error)

No, Navychop, you have it all wrong. Murdoch is the Emperor, and Ergan is the one being seduced by the dark side to become Darth :) What would all this make Mel Karmezin? As for who is worth more, I beleve that due to debt and slightly lower stock price at the time of the ratings, Murdoch's "wealth" rating slipped a bit. I could be wrong on that.

Last edited:
What about Expressvu? Who would their hardware supplier be if Dish/Direct merge? Or does Expressvu not get their hardware supply from Dish directly but from the same manufacturer that Dish does? Also this would most likely mean that Dish Network would not make the profits off the hardware as they are now. That makes up the majority of their profits when it comes to hardware sales.

Neutron said:
I really don't see this happening.

This would constitute a monopoly, which is illegal.

You can't compare it to the TWC/Comcast takeover of Adelphia since there are still other cable companies.

You must work for comcast in philadelphia which brought out all local cable companies in the area.........That sounds like a Monopoly to me......And the
FCC allows it.......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)