Weird call from Dish

Andrewwski

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
One of my family members got a weird (by my standards) call from dish today.

She got a call from a guy named Lucky, who said they are "upgrading the signals" and he needed her to read off an R00 number.

She was just walking out the door, so she told him to call back. He called back less than a minute later saying it would only take a few seconds.

They did have a mixed-arc setup until about a month ago when they got switched to EA. Maybe they don't have that updated in their system yet...but what good would the R00 number do? They would need the satellite numbers as well. It didn't sound like an audit either, as I believe they generally have you read off location ID's on all the receivers.

I've considered the possibility that it wasn't Dish that actually called - doesn't the R00 number act as a method of verification when accessing an account? Not that I see why someone would want access another person's Dish account. There's a PIN on the account anyway.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Did they give out any information?

Let us know if something bad happens. Or if by some weird chance it's legit.

the r00 number can be used to verify the account in the situation that the customer "forgot" their pin.

lucky had a lead from somewhere that your mom had dish and had her phone and address. what he planned on doing was offering your mom a free upgrade with the 15.00 discount for the year and trick her into signing a new account through his company. he would then afterwards pretend to be your mom and call dish and cancel her original account after their installer came and put in her new "upgrade" which is really a new complete account.

he is doing this to get new sales commisions.

I believe she did give out the number, but didn't agree to anything else. I'll verify that in the morning and if that's the case, I'll have them try giving Dish a call and see if they can block the account from being verified by R00 number.

Put a PIN number on the account. Also, when calling DISH to do this, ask the rep if they can see if there are any notes indicating an outbound call was made by them. You can also google the number and see if it pulls up a retailer instead of dish.

Please read to customer: For your protection, DISH Network will never call or email you and ask for your account information such as your account number, receiver number, pin or social security number. Please do not give out that information

This is right from our disclosures we have to read every customer

One of my family members got a weird (by my standards) call from dish today.

She got a call from a guy named Lucky, who said they are "upgrading the signals" and he needed her to read off an R00 number.

I had a similar call from "Dish". I told the guy to give me his phone number and I would call him back with the information. He said he needed the information immediately in order to keep my service active. I asked for his employee ID and what department he was in. At that point he hung up.

I had a similar call from "Dish". I told the guy to give me his phone number and I would call him back with the information. He said he needed the information immediately in order to keep my service active. I asked for his employee ID and what department he was in. At that point he hung up.

I would have told him... go ahead... cut off my receiver. Oh wait... you don't know my receiver number right? Muahhahahahaha....

"AT&T" called me like that once. They said they needed to verify my name and address. I said "Well whatever you have is right. I got the statement from you just a few days ago."

He was silent for a minute and then confessed that he wasn't AT&T and was a third party trying to offer a new promotion. :)

But anyway. I don't get any calls that I don't want anymore. I use VoicePulse (voip) and set up the filtering to send everyone not in my rules to voicemail. It also does the "out of service" tones to anyone without a CallerID which proves to be very effective. :)

If you get a REAL audit from Dish Network and you do not cooperate, kiss your additional receivers goodbye as in junk heavy paperweights. They will never activate them ever again on anybody's account and you will never have more than one receiver on your account.

It is a matter of figuring out if it is really Dish Network or not.

If you get a REAL audit from Dish Network and you do not cooperate, kiss your additional receivers goodbye as in junk heavy paperweights. They will never activate them ever again on anybody's account and you will never have more than one receiver on your account.

whats E nazi group do when the boxes are leased?

perhaps the audit group is trying to do their job without being obvious about it?

so lets take this a step further. Current wisdom is to never give out personal information over the phone unless you are sure of whom you are speaking with. If you receive a call from the Audit Department how do you verify it is really Dish. I had never heard of an Dish Audit before joining this forum so if they had ever called me I probably would have thought it was some type of scam and not provided the information..

ross

Never give any information at all to someone who calls you.

They may say they are from Dish, the IRS, the FBI, it does not matter.

If any of those people were actually calling you, they all would agree to have you call the published number for the organization. Dish Audit Team does agree to have you call back to the standard Dish phone number, that is a fact. Anyone else, like Law Enforcement, would agree the same, they just give you the extension or name to ask for.

Do not accept a phone number, it is no better, since identity thieves can just give you their phone number.

Dish Network has asked my R00 number and all sorts of other information on my tv screen before. I knew it was them because I was told to call that phone number.

Even if you pass an audit they will still say that you failed later if they even THINK you done something wrong.

Dish Network has asked my R00 number and all sorts of other information on my tv screen before. I knew it was them because I was told to call that phone number.

Even if you pass an audit they will still say that you failed later if they even THINK you done something wrong.

E* has been asking for receiver numbers when calling about hybrid install changeovers. They've called me three times and three times asked for the receiver number and then each time asked for a pin so they wouldn't have to ask for a receiver number again. They've also always left the 888 customer service number, so if scamming they're doing a better job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts