Weird guide issue, missing programs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
At first I thought I was going crazy, then I thought I had found yet another issue unique to the 522, but I have verified the same behavior from a 311. What is happening is that some programs appear to be missing from the guide if the timeslot is less than 30 minutes. I did a search, didn't find anything so I apologize if this has been addressed before.

Example: On TOON, Family Guy runs from :30 to :00, Aqua Teen Hunger Force runs from :15 to :30, and Inuyasha at :30. My question is, what is scheduled from :00 to :15 (between Family Guy and ATHF) and how, if I desired, would I be able to set a timer for it? I know I can set a manual timer but the point is, the information does not appear to be available in the guide. I also notice the arrow buttons take two presses to go over this block instead of one, as if there is something there.

I seem to remember the 721 working "correctly" in these situations, showing a divided block with two items in it for the half hour.

Pepper said:
At first I thought I was going crazy, then I thought I had found yet another issue unique to the 522, but I have verified the same behavior from a 311. What is happening is that some programs appear to be missing from the guide if the timeslot is less than 30 minutes. I did a search, didn't find anything so I apologize if this has been addressed before.

Example: On TOON, Aqua Teen Hunger Force runs from x:00 to x:15, followed by Inuyasha at x:30. My question is, what is scheduled from x:15 to x:30 and how, if I desired, would I be able to set a timer for it. I know I can set a manual timer but the point is, the information does not appear to be available in the guide.

I seem to remember the 721 working "correctly" in these situations, showing a divided block with two items in it for the half hour.

What about shows that are 10 minutes long? 5 minutes long? Do you want a half-hour block subdivided 6 times? It's not a fault of the receivers: it's most likely designed to behave like that. I bet every receiver behaves the same way. There aren't that many less-than-half-hour shows anyway. Just set a manual timer and move on.

chaddux said:
What about shows that are 10 minutes long? 5 minutes long? Do you want a half-hour block subdivided 6 times? It's not a fault of the receivers: it's most likely designed to behave like that. I bet every receiver behaves the same way. There aren't that many less-than-half-hour shows anyway. Just set a manual timer and move on.
I edited the original post because it is the first half not the last half that's missing. And yes, it should divide up the block in however many segments necessary, or the guide should indicate that the 30 minute block contains more than one actual program. And, yes I could set a timer, but the point is, I don't know what is there or whether I would even want to record it. Sure, I could actually watch, or go to TOON's website to look up what they have scheduled but I shouldn't HAVE to.

And as I mentioned I think the 721 already does this.

Pepper, you are absolutely correct. This is either a software bug or a design flaw. What really shows just how stupid the software people are at E* is the following, if you DID know what was in that (for example) 15 minute time slot (like say you saw a commercial for that short program) and did an "info" search for it, you WOULD IN FACT get that short program back in your search results. So the program's name and info IS embedded in the guide, but the E* people just forgot about (or left out on purpose) these shorter programs from guide scrolling.

Contrary to what chaddux thinks, there are A LOT of programs that are under 30 minutes that get left out of the guide, but still have their name and info embedded there.

I watch a LOT of programming in the 9000's (the public interest channels). "Cool" people here will make fun of these channels and say, "those channels are waste of bandwidth, give us more HD," but if you actually give a crap about the world outside of your own home, these channels have some of the best news and information available anywhere on the planet. They also have a LOT of short programs and mini-documentaries, that are CONSTANTLY being left out of the guide but come up in search results.

In fact, Pepper, if you set a manual timer for that 15 minute program you're talking about, you will see after it's recorded that the banner and info window for the recording will have the correct show information (as long as A. The network submitted the info and B. A different bug on the 522 hasn't kicked in where it keeps giving you the wrong info for a recording).

Ha, yes, sorry SimpleSimon, that's exactly what I meant too. :)

It's nice to know I'm not alone there. So many of the channels have such wonderful programs and information, but sometimes kind of low production values that make me think they do not attract the masses. :no

Getmeabeer: I agree with the good content from some of the public interest chans.

However, I believe you missed his joke about the HD channels also being in the 9000s.. the 9420s :)

Just to confirm what Pepper said, the guide on the 721 does show programs correctly that are less than 30 minutes. I have never tried to record them so I don't know whether that works correctly or not but at least the guide is correct.

Bimmerbenz

HokieEngineer said:
Getmeabeer: I agree with the good content from some of the public interest chans.

However, I believe you missed his joke about the HD channels also being in the 9000s.. the 9420s :)

:haha Oh, NOW I understand. :eureka

I don't have HD, just the regular channels, so I didn't even know where the HD channels were. I was just talking about the 9400 to 9418 regular channels.

SimpleSimon, here is a raspberry for you for making a joke on me. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts