Weird HDVR2 tuner/satellite setup problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lord Vader

Original poster
Jan 22, 2006
The Galactic Empire
I think I may have posted this in the wrong forum, so I'm putting it here. :eek:

Here's the situation...

I'm helping my brother out (long distance--he's in another state) with his Hughes HDVR2 DirecTV/TIVO receiver. He installed a Phase III dish and has two RG6 cables running from it to the HDVR2 (hereafter I'll just call it the TIVO).

He gets a strong signal strength when going through the guided sat. setup on all three birds and both ln1 and ln2--that is, both ln1 and ln2's bar graphs show a strong signal (he properly chose the oval dish, 2 cables. He contines with the guided setup to finish it, but when the guided sat. setup is near completion, it tells him this:

Checking the sat. dish setup on your dish type (oval, 3 sat)...done.

Multiswitch: DiSEqC

Satellites Sat ln1: 101 (A): Not detected

119 (B): Not detected
110 (C): Not detected
Satellites Sat ln2: 101 (A): Not detected
119 (B): Not detected
110 (C): Not detected

Now, when he presses "live TV" on the remote to watch something, he can get a picture on most channels. In fact, he was able to get ch. 206 on one tuner and ch. 514 on the other tuner. However, if he turned to channel 212, 231, 307, 309, 604, 380, 382, 386, 388, or several other specific channels, for example, he got the message "searching for satellite signal on sat. ln2" and no subsequent picture.

If one of the tuners were bad, I'm assuming that he wouldn't be able to get ANY picture on one, and thus would not have been able to view ch. 514 and ch. 206 separately.

Note: When he goes to his setup menu and chooses a simple "test signal" request, he can get in the mid-90's on ALL three satellites--101, 119, and 110--and on both ln1 and ln2.

Neither he nor I have ever experienced this problem before, so we're baffled as to what the cause of this can be.

We just went through all the transponders on all three birds. Here's what we have (Note: only average, consistent strength is shown, not peak):

Sat. 101 (A):

Transponder Signal Strength

1................................................upper 70's
2................................................low 90's
3................................................mid 70's
5................................................40's to mid 50's
6................................................mid 90's
7................................................single digits
8................................................mid 90's
10..............................................mid 90's
14..............................................mid 90's
16..............................................mid 90's
17, 18, & 19................................0
22..............................................mid 90s
24..............................................mid 90s
26..............................................mid 40s
30..............................................mid 90s
32..............................................mid 90s

Sat. 119 (B)

24..............................................mid 90's
25..............................................mid 80's
26..............................................mid 90's
27..............................................mid 90's
28..............................................mid 90's
30..............................................mid 90's
31..............................................mid 70's
32..............................................mid 90's

Sat. 110 (C)

8................................................near 90
10..............................................upper 80's
12..............................................low 90's

The above information leads me to believe that this may be a simple dish alignment problem, which would be the easiest to fix if it weren't for his very steep and dangerous roof (he fell off it two months ago and broke his left elbow and wrist, nearly missing hitting his head on the patio and killing himself). I conclude this because if I'm not mistaken, on an oval, 3-sat dish--I have one as well--in order to really get a signal from all three birds, the overall signal strength is somewhat of a compromise of all three sats' locations. A signal strength too consistently high on sats. B and C usually indicates the dish is pointed too much toward them, toward the west a tad too much, and not enough toward the A or 101 sat.

The irritating part of this is that he spend a lot of time on the roof twice this afternoon trying to align the dish to first hit the 101 bird, and his wife was in the living room using their phone/intercom to relay signal strength indicators back and forth.

However, from what my brother told me, he believes that she didn't focus on all the transponders; rather, she saw a high signal on the first couple transponders and figured that was that. She then reported very high signals on birds B and C.

Also, when he chooses either of the other two satellite setup combos--round dish one cable or round dish two cables--and directly tunes to a main channel (the 200's or 300's, for example), he gets no signal. Again, this tells me it really seems to be a dish alignment issue. However, could it be the dish's internal multiswitch is defective?

Any thoughts?

Well isn't THIS interesting: my brother calls me a few minutes ago and tells me that he now can get ALL the channels (see first post in this thread) except for 212. That is the only one that has the "searching for satellite signal on ln1."

He did NOTHING today to try and fix this, so what could have happened we have NO idea.

Well, as was somewhat expected, the problem reoccurred today. The same channels are once again showing the "searching for sat. signal ln1" message. How fun.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts