Weird hidden channel thing on 942

M Sparks

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
Hey, I keep forgetting to post this. I ran a search for "Network" because I knew it was going to be on HDNET Movies this week, not thinking about how I would probably get a lot of unrelated programs. But I was really surprised to get well over 1500 hits.

Almost all of them said "Save on your DISH Network bill" or something like that. On the list, the channel sign was "DVRDN". But if you selected them for more info, they said they were on HDNews.

I forgot about it until today. I ran the search again tonight and found the same thing. But this time, the programs were listed on channel 9901- the "You have a DISH 1000" slate.

Looking through my favorites list, I realized 9901 is the highest channel on the "all channels" list, but HDNews is the highest on my regular favorites list. I switched to a list that has only movie channels and ran the search again. This time, it said the programs were on Monsters HD- the highest movie channel

So apparently, this is a hidden channel somewhere up above 9901. It's normal for the tuner to switch to the next lowest channel if a channel number isn't available, but it seems odd for the search function to do the same thing based on the last favorite list you accessed.

More weirdness...they were 5 minutes each, but started every 10 minutes. (Another hidden program between them?) If I tried to actually select one of them, no matter how far in the future, it simply switched to the channel it thought it was on. (Monsters in this case). And if I put the same "Network" search into "DISHPass", it did NOT put any of the 5 minute programs on the schedule (although it did put a bunch of shopping "network" crap on.)

If this is some sort of "forced DVR" program, you'd think it would have showed up on my harddrive by now.

I ran the search on my 942 and noticed the same DVRDN channel. Perhaps Dish Network is embedding subliminal messages in our programming. I don't know about you, but I feel like rewarding a friend with the gift of DISH Network and get $60 for myself. :D

Yep its on channel 9945 (its for new subs) when a new DVR is first downloaded with the software and activated, there are a series of dvr videos that get downloaded into the reciver.. like for instance how to use your remote control to use your DVR. there about 5 min in length and the other one is A club dish promo. I can confirm that the the bug exists too!

You know, when I installed my 942, I did notice some DISH Network promo thing recording. But I had a "check switch" problem, and when I reran it, it must have canceled it. I never saw it come up again.

BTW, I had not activated it yet...I didn't activate it until I got back from a job later that day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)