HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
Welcome, HD DVD!
First Look at Toshiba HD-A1 Player.
By Ilya - www.SatelliteGuys.us - 04/17/06

Welcome.jpg

On Friday, April 14, 2006 without any official announcements and advertisements Toshiba has quietly launched its first HD DVD player in the US: HD-A1. Best Buy was the first store chain to offer these players for sale: initially, just in certain stores on the West Coast and then by Saturday - all over the country!

HDA1front2.JPG

Saturday morning I called 1-888-BestBuy to see if there are any players available for in-store pickup, and was told that they were all sold-out(!). However they did have some players listed "in-stock" in one of my local stores. When I walked into the store, two boxes with HD-A1's were still sitting on the floor: arrived a few minutes ago, as I was told. They also had some HD DVD titles in the back, but the store was not allowed to sell them until April 18, so as of this writing I still do not have any HD DVD discs to play with. (I know, others were able to get HD DVD discs with their players, oh well!) So, I guess I will defer the picture quality discussion until I get some HD DVD software and for now will just show you some photos of the player itself. Enjoy! (Update: HD movies look amazing! See the latest notes at the bottom.)

Box2.jpg

See, the box was shipped to Best Buy via FedEx for Saturday delivery! They really rushed it. Great job, Best Buy!

HDA1_2.jpg

The HD-A1 player comes with cables (including HDMI!), a remote control and manuals in English and in Spanish.

HDA1back.jpg

The picture above shows connections on the back of the player. Video outputs include: HDMI, Component, S-Video and Composite, of which only HDMI offers HD picture quality (Component output too, but only if the content provider permits that). Audio connections include: Coaxial and Optical for digital audio, standard analog stereo, and (!) 5.1-ch. analog surround! Why would you need 5.1 analog? Simple: HD DVD format supports advanced digital formats that are not yet supported by A/V receivers: Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, 192kHz L-PCM and DTS-HD. Providing an on-board decoder for all these formats was a very smart thing to do. Thanks, Toshiba!

You may also notice an Ethernet port marked "LAN". This is to connect the player to the Internet! The Owner's manual mentions two applications for this port. First, you can download firmware updates. Second, some HD DVD titles will have interactive features requiring Internet connectivity: the player will be able to stream video, provided your Internet connection is fast enough.

USB.jpg

The front panel of the player has two USB ports. The manual refers to them as "extension ports" that can be used for game controllers and possibly for some additional features that may be supported in the future (anyone wants to guess what these could be?)

Remote-1.jpg

The player comes with a remote, which in addition to the player can control your TV set, but unfortunately not the A/V receiver. It has no back light. If you want motion-activated back light, go for HD-XA1 player instead!

Remote-3.jpg

Just to give you an idea about its size, here is the Toshiba remote placed next to Harmony H688.

Remote-2.jpg

The bottom part of the remote has a sliding cover, which hides a numeric keypad and some advanced buttons, like "Setup", "Search" and "Clear".

Display-2.jpg

Ok, it's time to start the player! One thing that will require some getting used to: the player takes significant time (around 40 seconds!) to boot. The HD DVD player operates more like a computer and differently than a standard DVD player ... when you turn the HD DVD player on, it may take a little while before it is ready to use. Likewise, other functions may not be performed as quickly as they would on other AV equipment. (I am quoting the Owner's Manual!)

When the player starts a Welcome message appears on the front panel display and an HD DVD logo on the screen. During normal operation the display shows standard track/title numbers and playing time, as well as output resolution (480i/p, 720p or 1080i), media type and output type (HDMI or component). Only one HD output type can be selected at a ime by pressing "V.OUTPUT" button on the remote. Note, that Component output is the one selected by default. Make sure to change it to HDMI if you are going to use HDMI or DVI connection. You can cycle through output resolutions with the "RESOLUTION" button.

Display-1.jpg

You can open the on-screen display (by pressing "DISPLAY" button on the remote. It shows information about Video Codec, output type, resolution, etc.

5E-1.jpg

As I already mentioned, I do not have any HD DVD titles yet, so I've been watching standard DVDs, including The Fifth Element (SB edition) and DVE.

5E-2.jpg

So far, I am happy with the performance of HD-A1 as an up-converting player. But, of course, this is not what I've paid $499 for. I'll defer my PQ judgment until I see some HD DVDs.

Setup-1.jpg

Now, let's have a closer look at the Setup Menu. You can open it by pressing "Setup" button on the remote (under the sliding cover).

Setup-2.jpg

In Picture settings you can select TV Shape, Black Level Enhancement and Picture Mode.

Setup-3.jpg

Audio settings have a lot of advanced options. For example, for HDMI digital output you have four choices: Auto, Bitstream, PCM (which can be even 96kHZ Multi channel PCM on some titles), and downmixed PCM (2-channel PCM). Speaker Settings let you adjust levels of all analog channels, set the crossover frequency for the subwoofer, etc.

Setup-4.jpg

Here is how the Ethernet setup menu looks like. You can configure the player to participate in your home network and access the Internet.

Setup-5.jpg

The Maintenance menu under General Settings lets you Initialize the player (to factory defaults), view the current version of the firmware, check for any version updates and download them over the Internet. (FYI: as an alternative way of updating the firmware, Toshiba will be sending firmware update discs to registered users.)

Setup-6.jpg

To check the firmware version, select General>Maintenance>Update.

Setup-7.jpg

There are various other customization parameters: you can change the language preferences, set parental lock, enable screen saver or even change the Menu Skin, as shown above. One thing that the Owner's manual asks you to do first is to verify the system clock. In my case I didn't have to adjust it: it was accurate to a minute!

Well, that's it for now. If you have any questions, please post them in the HD DVD & Blu-Ray Disc section of our forum!

UPDATE:

I did a back-to-back comparison of Phantom of The Opera HD DVD vs. DVR'd version off HBO-HD on E* (and vs. standard DVD too). This is not a very accurate comparison, as the HBO's version is not in OAR (it is cropped to 16x9), but that's the best I could do.

Since I only have one HDMI/DVI port on my TV set, I first connected both the HD DVD player and the 942 DVR via component cables, synchronized both video streams and was simply switching between the two throughout the movie. I then connected via HDMI and watched one copy at a time to re-confirm my observations.

I must say, the difference was striking! Much better than I expected. I didn't realize the PQ on HBO-HD was so bad in comparison. Yes, I knew the HD picture was not perfect, but in the past I attributed some of that to limitations of my TV set (Sony Grand Wega III). Suddenly, I saw that my TV can do much better!

So, what exactly is better on HD DVD compared to HD off E*? Both offer similar resolution, but the picture on E* has a lot of compression artifacts. First of all, pixilation, especially in fast action. I saw pixilation in many scenes of The Phantom (HBO). But I am yet to see a single case of pixilation on any of the HD DVD titles. Colors, color-gradients, skin-tones - all look much more vivid and natural on HD DVD. You get almost a 3-dimensional effect. In comparison, the HBO version looks flat and washed-out. (I thought it looked great, until I did this back-to-back comparison with HD DVD!)

Ilya.

If you have any questions or comments, please post in this thread.

Jamey K said:
Ilya,

What audio output will you use? Bitstream?
Currently I am using optical digital audio in Bitsream mode. This works fine for 5.1 DD and DTS. Once I get HD DVD discs I am going to try 5.1 analog and built-in decoders.

So you need an HDMI to DVI convert to get the signal on either 720p or 1080i, correct? Component is downresized to 480p, correct?

Are you going to buy some movies on Tuesday the 18th? Which are the first titles that you are going to buy? Is there a way to take a snapshot of the picture and send it to a PC. Can you post your review and pictures of the movies that you will be buying? Can you compare to your Dish HD movie channels and how they compare?

Sean Mota said:
So you need an HDMI to DVI convert to get the signal on either 720p or 1080i, correct? Component is downresized to 480p, correct?
You need either HDMI or DVI and an HDCP-compliant TV. Whether Component output will be downrezzed or not depends on the content provider (on whether the ICT flag is set on the disc), I believe. Currently it even refuses to upconvert DVD movies over Component, however it does upconvert home-made DVDs.

Are you going to buy some movies on Tuesday the 18th? Which are the first titles that you are going to buy?
I think I will get the Phantom of the Opera (which will be interesting to compare with HBO version) and perhaps The Last Samurai.

Is there a way to take a snapshot of the picture and send it to a PC.
I don't have a way of doing that.
Can you post your review and pictures of the movies that you will be buying? Can you compare to your Dish HD movie channels and how they compare?
I'll try. ;)

Do you have any?

Do you have any -R or +R discs to try in it? It is suppose to play -Rs but does not list supporting +R discs. I would really be interested to see if it WILL read a +R DVD..
In your review, you seemed happy with the Upconverting PQ of regular DVDs. Did you see any problems (macroblocking, etc)? How would you compare it to other upconverting DVD players on the market (if you have any knowledge in this area)?

Thanks for your review to date, Gerry

Ilya said:
Currently I am using optical digital audio in Bitsream mode. This works fine for 5.1 DD and DTS. Once I get HD DVD discs I am going to try 5.1 analog and built-in decoders.

Really? So...cords? No optical?

ggw2000 said:
Do you have any -R or +R discs to try in it? It is suppose to play -Rs but does not list supporting +R discs. I would really be interested to see if it WILL read a +R DVD..
In your review, you seemed happy with the Upconverting PQ of regular DVDs. Did you see any problems (macroblocking, etc)? How would you compare it to other upconverting DVD players on the market (if you have any knowledge in this area)?

Thanks for your review to date, Gerry
I don't have any upconverting DVD players to compare with. I was only trying to compare the scaler in the DVD player to the scaler in my Sony GWIII. In my view the player's scaler wins hands down. But for me this is not very important, as I am not going to watch too many SD DVDs on it ;)

I did try a home-made DVD-R and a DVD+RW. Both worked just fine. Don't have any DVD+R's to try.

Jamey K said:
Really? So...cords? No optical?
Yes, you sure can use optical and HDMI for unprocessed digital audio streams. But the problem is that there are no A/V receivers out there yet that can handle all of these new digital formats supported by HD DVD: Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, etc.

+RW = good sign!

Ilya said:
I don't have any upconverting DVD players to compare with. I was only trying to compare the scaler in the DVD player to the scaler in my Sony GWIII. In my view the player's scaler wins hands down. But for me this is not very important, as I am not going to watch too many SD DVDs on it ;)

I did try a home-made DVD-R and a DVD+RW. Both worked just fine. Don't have any DVD+R's to try.

It read a +RW, that's a good sign. The reason I asked on the PQ of SD DVDs is that I have alot of them and would be replacing my LG 511 upconverting player with one of these. My SXRD only has so many inputs;) . Thanks for the quick reply. Gerry

ggw2000 said:
Over in the "Just got my HD DVD" thread you have a post that says you tried a DVD +R and it did not work? Got me confused..
I only tried a DVD+R with MP3 music on it: that didn't work. I don't have any video DVD+R's.

Ilya said:
Yes, you sure can use optical and HDMI for unprocessed digital audio streams. But the problem is that there are no A/V receivers out there yet that can handle all of these new digital formats supported by HD DVD: Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, etc.

Ah! Gotcha.

Ilya, Great review. Too bad you couldn't get a hold of the software. The Best Buy ad in San Diego was advertising 3 free disks with the HD DVD player purchase (Phantom, Million Dollar Baby, Samurai.), though it might be one of those rebate things you send away for in the mail.

One point of clarification from an earlier post, does this player NOT upconvert SD DVDs containing copyrighted material (only DVD-Rs) through component or HDMI? That would almost be a deal breaker for me. Thanks.

Last edited:
Just stopped at Best Buy again. They absolutely refuse to sell the discs until tomorrow. Even though they are advertised in their brochure. :(

Zookster said:
One point of clarification from an earlier post, does this player NOT upconvert SD DVDs containing copyrighted material (only DVD-Rs) through component or HDMI? That would almost be a deal breaker for me. Thanks.
Ok, let me clarify:
The player upconverts everything via HDMI (or via DVI, provided the TV set is HDCP compliant).
It also upconverts my home videos recorded on DVD-R and DVD-RW over Component output.
It refuses to upconvert copyrighted (copy-protected) DVDs over Component interface. I tried several of them - the same result.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts