Welcome Pack + 211k + OTA question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Also, noticed I can 'uncheck' locals online when looking at my programming and the price drops, but haven't tried 'saving' it yet as I don't want to loose the ability to DVR locals (PBS in particular for the kids). I bet if I try to save, it will tell me I can't.

I think that's a clue to your problem. Should not be able to uncheck locals. Seems to me they have to re-join your locals to your account. (For lack of a better word - maybe re authorize?) Right along the lines of what Iceberg and MikeD-C05 are saying.

Here's why it's hard to believe what you are saying is in fact true.

1. Both Iceberg and MikeD-C05 say it is not.

2. There have been many posts of people who downgraded from AT to the Welcome package or Smart package, and if what you say is true, there should have been many more complaints about this.

If within the very recent past something has changed, perhaps you could be correct. But short of that, I don't believe it.

3. We were told that it was by design you could not watch recorded programming from freeview periods if you now do not subscribe. When the Hopper first came out that was exactly what was happening. I did not buy it and you can look back I (and a few others) immediately challenged it even though the DIRT response was they were being told it is by design. Partly because there were a few who it did not happen to, and partly because it made no sense of course we were right, it was a programming problem that got fixed.

After all these years here and at even earlier forums, I know it is a fact many posters here have more knowledge and reason out problems better than anyone who gives answers from DISH, with DIRT being and exception. DIRT is sometimes handcuffed because even when they do research they can be given wrong info that they can not confirm themselves. But they do give usually very solid answers.

So in summary, I am betting getting HD in this case is very possible.

EDIT: Never mind. I know the system, not going to argue about it. Enough said. My post with detailed info about HD works stands.

Last edited:
I wish I could say you guys are right, but I am telling you, if you have the Welcome Pack, there is NOTHING we can tag on the account to make sure you get HD locals. Honestly, NOTHING. They're there automatically (if available in that DMA and the antenna is aimed at the arc that has HD locals for that DMA)

wanna bet?
When I went with Welcome Pack (I basically wanted "moved" locals and Directv didnt have them in HD) there was a "HD access" code that they put on the account to get locals in HD along with HD for any premiums or freeviews
When I moved to Dish Silver for a couple months that "code" was removed
When I went back to Welcome Pack they had to reput the HD access code back on as I had no HD at the time.

@Iceberg - when was this?

I think this HD enable code was phased out and now you don't need any special access to view the HD channels. Either you have an HD package or you don't, but either way it should not restrict you from watching HD locals or HD premiums if you subscribe to them.

I think this change happened about 2 years ago.

I wish I could say you guys are right, but I am telling you, if you have the Welcome Pack, there is NOTHING we can tag on the account to make sure you get HD locals. Honestly, NOTHING. They're there automatically (if available in that DMA and the antenna is aimed at the arc that has HD locals for that DMA)

Feel free to call me a clueless CSR, although I'm not a CSR and I'm not clueless about this. When a customer moves down from an AT package to the Welcome Pack or Smart Pack, if they had HD120 (or HD200 or HD250), either the $10/mo or the HDFFL on the account, the HD programming tag disappears. There is no tag to add for Welcome Pack or Smart Pack. If that customer originally had HDFFL, the HDFFL tag will stay on the account for if/when that customer upgrades back to an AT package (or Dish America). But the HDFFL tag does not affect programming at all.

I have, over the years, talked to many customers who lost much of their HD accidentally, when an agent upgraded or downgraded them in the AT packages and forgot to add the new tag. Example, going from AT250/HD250 down to AT200, and the CSR did not add back the HD200 tag after removing the HD250 tag. That person would get "limited HD", local channels, and a select number of non-locals in HD. No tag on the account to cause or prevent this.

Summary:
Welcome Pack: Automatically has limited HD, locals and a few non-locals. No way to change this
Smart Pack: (same as Welcome Pack)
Dish America: Automatically has HD. No way to change this
AT120/AT200/AT250: HD two ways: With no HD120/HD200/HD250 tag, the customer will get limited HD (locals and a few non-locals). If there is a HD120/HD200/HD250, cust will get full HD. HDFFL tag has no bearing on this, it's a place holder/reminder that makes sure when/if a HD120/HD200/HD250 tag is applied, that the customer is not charged $10/mo for it.
I've had welcome pack and at the same time had HD locals both off the sat and OTA. Also all previews come down in HD. But I do have HD for life on my acct.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts