Welcome Pack for New Customers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Its all about how they want to run the business. Not a single company is going to be right for everyone. I agree, some customers would be happy with that, but would Dish? It works for Charter, would it work for Dish? I think once people find what interests them, and what they are willing to pay, that is who they should go with. There is no "Right or Wrong" provider, just different options for different people, in different areas.

Agreed.. Just to be clear though, you can use a TiVo with FiOS or any cable company and pay your equipment fees up front. It's not just Charter. I just mentioned them because they are my local cable company.

Reactions: ChadT41
Agreed.. Just to be clear though, you can use a TiVo with FiOS or any cable company and pay your equipment fees up front. It's not just Charter. I just mentioned them because they are my local cable company.
I understood. I only used them, because you did. I know I have seen Comcast mentioned a few times and TWC as well.

One more post since I didn't include any numbers and then I'll shut up about TiVo. It looks like the break even point is 2.77 years if you pay the $500 lifetime fee instead of the $15 monthly fee.

Some people here have been using the same equipment much longer than that. Some people might not want this because of the high up front cost and Dish would definitely lose some monthly income from some of their customers. I think that option would be a nice way to reward their most loyal customers though. Currently all the TV providers give way more to their new customers than the ones who stick around forever.

Last edited:
I know, but it's still the best deal out there for me. Not a whole lot of options where I am. Just TWC, Verizon, Direct TV, and Dish. From what I can tell, for just locals, the Welcome Pack is still the best deal outside of an antenna.

Verizon? As in FiOS?

I think I got the ad here, but holy cow, that was funny. I thought it was part of your post....hahaha. I need a damn pub membership...

I'm sure some of you long term guys would be willing to pay around $550 for a hoper and $150 for a Joey if that meant no more fees outside of your base package cost.
I'm pretty sure you're wrong. DIRECTV tried the lifetime TiVo thing and there are very few of them left and you can't transfer them.

I suspect that you may be making some assumptions about what you can do with some of the third party hardware in terms of long-term keeping of content. It may not be all free and clear as it appears you are assuming it is.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. DIRECTV tried the lifetime TiVo thing and there are very few of them left and you can't transfer them.

I suspect that you may be making some assumptions about what you can do with some of the third party hardware in terms of long-term keeping of content. It may not be all free and clear as it appears you are assuming it is.

I wasn't talking about the Directv TiVo. From everything I read that was just TiVo software running on an outdated DVR directv used to offer. I'm not saying to do it like that. Im saying offer that deal on a hopper and Joey. The payback period if you choose to go lifetime on a real TiVo is 2.77 years. I would bet that the majority of longtime Dish subscribers keep their receivers quite a bit longer than that.

Like I said, it wouldn't be for everyone because the upfront fee is big. If you know you are going to be a long term sub and the HWS has everything you need in a DVR it would make total sense though. It would be a good loyalty option for long term customers. By the time you reached the 3 year mark you would be ahead every month for the rest of your time with that equipment. TV prices would be a lot easier to bear if all you had to worry about was your base package cost.

You're wrong about not being able to keep TiVo content when you switch providers or cancel cable and return to OTA. @mike123abc just confirmed that you can do exactly that earlier today in this thread.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/moving-from-hopper-to-tivo.335379/page-10#post-3594421

Other people said the same thing in that thread. You can still view recordings after you cancel or switch providers. That isn't really relevant to this thread though since we are talking about Dish hardware that only works with an active Dish subscription.

Verizon? As in FiOS?

Yeah, FiOS, I'm thinking about switching to them for Internet (any experience with their service?), and like I said my interest in the Welcome Pack is just my backup plan now that I have a pretty heavy duty antenna on the way (e.g. landlord might not allow it on the roof; I might not get all the local channels I want). Anyway, for Verizon I would go to their lowest plan, 25/25 for $79.99 I think it is. I'd love to know how that plan handles multiple Netflix/Roku streams, if anyone knows. I really just have had bad experiences with bundling with TWC (price jumps after promos, etc.), so that's why I'd rather do standalone Internet and just pay the real price. Hopefully an antenna will cover me as far as TV goes. Honestly, I'm paying for 100/10 at TWC for around $75 a month total (fees and everything). But I think a FiOS connection would be way more consistent and worth the price jump and speed decrease. What do you think?

EDIT: Wow, you're post just made me realize that Verizon FiOS offers a TV Local Pack with everything I want for even less than the Dish Network Welcome Pack. How did I miss that? Anyone have this plan? Is it really just $12.99 a month?

Last edited:
Yeah, FiOS, I'm thinking about switching to them for Internet (any experience with their service?), and like I said my interest in the Welcome Pack is just my backup plan now that I have a pretty heavy duty antenna on the way (e.g. landlord might not allow it on the roof; I might not get all the local channels I want). Anyway, for Verizon I would go to their lowest plan, 25/25 for $79.99 I think it is. I'd love to know how that plan handles multiple Netflix/Roku streams, if anyone knows. I really just have had bad experiences with bundling with TWC (price jumps after promos, etc.), so that's why I'd rather do standalone Internet and just pay the real price. Hopefully an antenna will cover me as far as TV goes. Honestly, I'm paying for 100/10 at TWC for around $75 a month total (fees and everything). But I think a FiOS connection would be way more consistent and worth the price jump and speed decrease. What do you think?

EDIT: Wow, you're post just made me realize that Verizon FiOS offers a TV Local Pack with everything I want for even less than the Dish Network Welcome Pack. How did I miss that? Anyone have this plan? Is it really just $12.99 a month?

That is exactly why I was asking. Lots of people over on tivocommunity.com forums speak very highly of the FiOS service. It apparently works very well with Tivos and cablecards. The Internet service is also supposed to be very good. If I could get FiOS Internet, I would do so in a minute.

Also, I don't think your landlord can keep you from putting up an antenna per the OTARD rules.

Yeah, the FCC law is poorly worded on this, but the way I understand it, the owner can stop you from putting it on the roof, as that is not considered "private use" space. We'll see what happens.

I think the wording is pretty clear and your interpretation is correct - as a tenant, the roof is off-limits to you. It is not an area you have exclusive rights to.

True, I just meant that the text I read didn't mention the roof specifically. Or maybe I just missed it. Either way, permision will be requested as soon as the company that owns the house calls me back. Antenna should be arriving today too.

They don't mention roofs, walls, etc on purpose. As soon as they try and list things, they'll miss something and people will take that as those spots are now allowed.

I'm positive that even in your own "exclusive use" area, if it requires drilling holes, a landlord can deny it. That's why people with balconies - which are clearly their own exclusive use - end up clamping their dish down or use a cement-filled bucket.

That is exactly why I was asking. Lots of people over on tivocommunity.com forums speak very highly of the FiOS service. It apparently works very well with Tivos and cablecards. The Internet service is also supposed to be very good. If I could get FiOS Internet, I would do so in a minute.
Much of that depends on whether you can get FIOS service and if so, which of the FIOS providers you get.

The nearest FIOS provider to me is Frontier and they demonstrate little interest in supporting the service.

The reason FIOS works well with TiVos is that it uses antiquated QAM and CableCARD technology. As new technologies come on line, this will likely change.

Much of that depends on whether you can get FIOS service and if so, which of the FIOS providers you get.

The nearest FIOS provider to me is Frontier and they demonstrate little interest in supporting the service.

The reason FIOS works well with TiVos is that it uses antiquated QAM and CableCARD technology. As new technologies come on line, this will likely change.

True. I was referring to Verizon FiOS in particular. I wasn't trying to confuse anyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)