Welcome to our DirecTV Forums!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Today another site played a joke on it's users, and because of this joke many folks from that site came over to SatelliteGuys.US, many for the first time!

We wanted to say THANK YOU and WELCOME to SatelliteGuys, it is great to have you here!

If you haven't been here in awhile you might have noticed that we have expanded our offerings greatly, and this includes our DirecTV area!

We are also working on some new additions and changes which will be in place very soon. These changes will allow us to better serve you!

So if you haven't been here for awhile, or if it's your first visit we want to say THANK YOU and WELCOME to SatelliteGuys.US! We want to be your one stop source for all things Satellite!

Welcome!

Today another site played a joke on it's users, and because of this joke many folks from that site came over to SatelliteGuys.US, many for the first time!

We wanted to say THANK YOU and WELCOME to SatelliteGuys, it is great to have you here!

If you haven't been here in awhile you might have noticed that we have expanded our offerings greatly, and this includes our DirecTV area!

We are also working on some new additions and changes which will be in place very soon. These changes will allow us to better serve you!

So if you haven't been here for awhile, or if it's your first visit we want to say THANK YOU and WELCOME to SatelliteGuys.US! We want to be your one stop source for all things Satellite!

Welcome!
What Kind of jokes are we talkin?? Must not have been to funny?

I was sitting here looking at stuff and working on the new site and all a sudden our online user count jumped by over 1,000 users. I didn't know what was up.

Then a few moments later my PM and Email box was filling up with details of their job and screen shots.

When I looked for myself I figured it was a joke since they only changed the custom user title to "Banned User" yet under it, it still said "Moderator" a few moments later Earl posted that it was a joke. But by that time about a 1,000+ people flocked here to SatelliteGuys.

I got a few PMs from folks who have not been here in awhile, and I got to say it's nice to have them back. :)

I have to say that when I was with E*, I came here exclusively for my DBS info. But when DISH dropped EI, I switched to D* and also found myself at DBStalk a lot more frequently. I didn't have a chance to log on over there much yesterday so I didn't find out about what was going on until after the fact. Many found it funny and a break from the norm but others say they go there for serious info to solve their problems and did not find it funny. Others of course did not realize that it was a joke and were taking offense of people getting banned from the site. I read that it was likened to "The War of the Worlds" radio show that was broadcasted in the 1940's as a joke and ended up causing a mass panic. I guess I'm neutral on the issue:confused: It's no big deal to me. A little fun doesn't hurt things. But some obviously disagreed. If they do that again though, I think that it will hurt their credibility because people go there to get help and information on their DirecTV system. Not to have a joke played on them. But I am looking forward to this site upgrading the DirecTV side of things because being with DISH for so long, I found myself here for over 3 years and when I log on here, I feel like I am "home" so to speak.:)

Last edited:
No it wasn't. Here it is, although there were changes made that make it difficult to follow. DBSTalk.Com

They have deleted most of what the joke was. There were many respected posters that were getting "banned" from the site for something (silly or stupid) that was said. Posters with 2,000+ posts on the site getting banned, moderators arguing with moderators (stuff like that). Like I said, I didn't know about it until the very tail end. But after Earl saw that some were crying "CENSORSHIP!" and taking it way to seriously (and threatening to defect to SatelliteGuys), he explained that it was a joke and that they were just letting loose and having some fun. He said that by the end of the day, those posts would be deleted, and they were. I'm not sure if what you are referring to is something different or part of the same "joke" or if there was more than one joke going on. It's difficult to say. What you have linked to seems to be more of a riddle than a joke. I think they are separate. But since I wasn't involved or in the "know" with what was going on, I could be wrong.:)

They have deleted most of what the joke was. There were many respected posters that were getting "banned" from the site for something (silly or stupid) that was said. Posters with 2,000+ posts on the site getting banned, moderators arguing with moderators (stuff like that). Like I said, I didn't know about it until the very tail end. But after Earl saw that some were crying "CENSORSHIP!" and taking it way to seriously (and threatening to defect to SatelliteGuys), he explained that it was a joke and that they were just letting loose and having some fun. He said that by the end of the day, those posts would be deleted, and they were. I'm not sure if what you are referring to is something different or part of the same "joke" or if there was more than one joke going on. It's difficult to say. What you have linked to seems to be more of a riddle than a joke. I think they are separate. But since I wasn't involved or in the "know" with what was going on, I could be wrong.:)

The riddle and what became of it is what the joke was

Actually, I thought the whole thing was very funny. Confusing? I guess if you weren't paying attention it might have been but certainly nothing to leave DBSTalk over. Wow. If that's enough to make you go elsewhere -- well, i guess I don't know what to say.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts