Welcome To The DishPointer.COM Support Forum!

Discussion in 'DishPointer.COM Official Support Forum' started by Scott Greczkowski, Aug 21, 2009.

1. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Member

I need to ad the dishpointer app for use with my installs, but I do not have or want to use an iphone service.

I've read where I can use an Ipad as well, but again I do not want internet service either.

SO,is it possible for me to somehow use an iphone or ipad as just
    an instrument for the app without paying for any services and just paying for the hardware and the
    dishpointer app software so that it will work for my installs????

Any links or guides to compatible hardware would be appreciated too :)

Thanks for your time and a GREAT app!!!!!!!!!!!!! NDY

2. AlanSH

AlanSH DishPointer.COM Admin Pub Member / Supporter

Yes, that's possible - you could get iPhone 3GS and newer (4, 4S, 5), or the iPad 2, 3, 4, or even the iPad Mini. But with the iPads it is more convenient to get the Wifi+Cell version because those also have GPS otherwise you would need to enter your geolocation (lat, lng) manually.

3. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Member

thanks Allan for the reply....I'll look for a iphone 3s or higher....must be a done of them sitting in drawers everywhere :)

4. Tonka1945

Tonka1945 New Member

Hi every one,
    I bought Dishpointer and installed on my HTC WILDFIRE S and I have a problem to syncronize it. In the center cross air I have (0) on horizotal and (0) on vertical. The satellites are not moving while moving my cell.
    Also I'm having a problem concerning the purchase of the sofware I made an error when did my purchase I double click the purchase icon and go 2 software charge on my paypall account . I wrote on paypall account and also on dishpointer support no news yet. I hope they will understand my error.
    Would appreciate your help.

#24 Tonka1945, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  5. Captain James

Captain James New Member

Hello everyone, Love the DishPointer site. Wanted to pass along a pointing technique I tried successfully. No signal meter. First time, spot on perfect on 1000.2 (110 119 and 129) but is applicable to any pointing set up. I did the usual vertical post setup first. Then I bought a gravity type inclinometer, available from most big box hardware stores. Accuracy is to within .5 degrees. I used it's magnetic mount to set the elevation, then placed a stick across the LNB feed horns to set the skew. That left the azimuth (Az). Since magnetic compasses are fairly inaccurate, I decided to use a sun line. I found this web site: www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/grad/solcalc/azel.html that will allow you to set your location and find the sun's azimuth for any time of day. I needed 183.67 degrees true. Adjusting the time of day a few times, I discovered it would be at that exact Az at 1:05:15 on the day I wanted. I then placed a straight stick on the LNB bracket face, made it plumb and located the spot in the middle of the dish bracket screws where there would be the least affect from skew. At the moment the sun was in line with the 119 satellite, I moved the Az so the shadow of the stick was at the center of the dish. I checked the signal strength and got the three satellites with a signal of 40 or better. No adjustments. If anyone wants additional info or pictures, let me know.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

6. mozbius

mozbius New Member

HELP!
    Here's my situation:
    I have installed my dish for Bell about 7-8 years ago. At that time I had a 3100 receiver with a 18" satellite antenna. Signal strength on the setup screen shows a steady 100% on nimiq 91 transponder 11 with the exact values provided by dishpointer.com.
    Now I've purchased a 6131 HD Receiver (which again shows 100% on signal strength screen) and separately a 20" dish with two LNBs.
    I've followed the setup instructions (skew, elevation and azimuth setup) and got again my data from dishpointer.com for nimiq 91 in Montreal, Canada (Elevation: 34.8°, Azimuth (magn.): 218.6°, LNB Skew: 16.4°)) and yet I get 0 reception!
    I've double checked the mast it's hard to make it more balanced than it is already (NOTE: as I said the 18" antenna worked with exact values so almost no tweaking was needed to reach 100% signal at all).
    I've tested the new LNBs against my old 18" inch dish and they work 100%.
    I've tested the cables/connectivity against the old dish and they all work 100%.

Out of desperation I even started to do panos at different elevation with to see if I would get anything at all but no success there.

Now I'm kind of running out of ideas.

I've tried to test with only one LNB (nimiq 91) put on.
    I've tried to test with only one LNB (nimiq 82) put on.

Any suggestions?

Here's a picture of the antenna. I have used the little notch on the side to set the skew to 106.4 (as the website gave a 16.4 positive skew value). Elevation is set to 34.8 (based on the metal edge not the bolt). Azimuth is setup the same as my 18".
    IMG_0562[1].JPG

Am I missing something? Is there something that I should do on the receiver? As far as I can tell the setup is sound. And I can take off and back on the 18" dish and still get a 100% signal almost eyes closed. But that 20" is a clue that I'm unable to figure out. Any suggestion is welcome.

Am I supposed to at least get something from nimiq 91 if I setup the skew to 0 degree? As you can tell I'm trying anything that I can think about.

7. primestar31

primestar31 SatelliteGuys Master

Did you run a "Checkswitch" on your receiver first with the new dish lnbs connected? Perhaps your receiver is still set for the older 18" dish and lnb, and needs to know that you have changed them out.

By the way, you've posted this in the wrong place and it'll most likely get split off and moved to the proper forum.

8. mozbius

mozbius New Member

Thank you. I'll give the checkswitch a try.
    Sorry for not posting to the right forum. I thought that Dishpointer's forum was hosted from within another forum website and that was the chanel where everything was supposed to be posted for anything related to Dishpointer.
    Moderators please feel free to move my messages to the right forum.
    Again sorry for the inconvenience.

Separate names with a comma.

More...