Well Done Staples !

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbjbany

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
El Dorado Hills, CA Nr Sacramento
Staples announced today a recycling program for computers, monitors in addition to it's existing programs.
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=96244&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1004542

I work for a Technology company that does this on a periodic basis and as someone who is always buying new things where to get rid of the old has been a problem.

At last Staples has made it readily accessible, the $10 dollar charge for large desktops may be an issue but anyway if you didnt know, here's a program for you if you have all those old monitors after upgrading to lcd's

Let me get this straight.:

I put the monitor in my car. I drive it over to a staples 10 miles away at $4 a gallon for gas. I shlep the monitor into the store where after blank stares and eventually finding some one who realizes that i am just turning in a monitor I pay some one $10 and they dispose of the monitor God knows how.

Or...

I could put the monitor on my curb on garbage night and if it is still there the next morning, the garbage truck takes it for no additional cost to my garbage bill.

Hmmm.... let me think about that one for a while.... Tough choice here. :) NOT!

See ya
Tony

I put the monitor in my car. I drive it over to a staples 10 miles away at $4 a gallon for gas. I shlep the monitor into the store where after blank stares and eventually finding some one who realizes that i am just turning in a monitor I pay some one $10 and they dispose of the monitor God knows how.

Or...

I could put the monitor on my curb on garbage night and if it is still there the next morning, the garbage truck takes it for no additional cost to my garbage bill.

See ya
Tony

I think the point here is to keep a very hazardous piece of electronic waste out of the landfill. I recycle my electronics (along with virtually everything that can be recycled). You (and people who think like you) are a big part of the problem. It's easier to just throw it away so to hell with the environment, right? Wrong.

Or...

See ya
Tony

Well that may be what you do but part of the cost of owning a computer is proper disposal. It is the RIGHT thing to do. Doesn't matter what someone else does. I doubt that Staples or anyone else that has a reputation on the line is taking these to the dump. Don't know what the laws are in your area but if you get caught here doing what you sugest the fines are pretty steep. Hope they are too where you are.

Its a small segment of the population that cares about what they are doing to the enviroment and what they will be leaving for their kids and grandkids.

The garbage truck here in the SF Bay Area will not collect those old monitors. You have to pay $20.00 to recycle the damn monitor or TV so $10.00 is a lot better than $20.00.

I'm all for recycling but $20.00 is a little too much for a monitor.

my town has special days where they collect alot of different items to be recycled, 6 or 7 times a year I believe. They take everything from paint, oil, computers, tvs, etc..

I am just an evil person.

If it costs me (and the average joe) MORE and requires MORE effort to recycle a product than to put it on the curb, the recycling program is doomed to failure.

BTW there was a fantastic Penn & Teller Bu---it episode about recycling. :)

See ya
Tony

Or...

See ya
Tony

This is a very valueable program. That someone had to do. Here where i live the garbage men will not take any electronics whatsoever i have to take them to a collection center and pay anywhere from 5.00 up to get rid of. Now there is a store that will recycle these.

One of the nice experiences about buying my Mac was Apple E-mailing me two barcodes that allowed me to FedEx two pieces of computer equipment (System, Monitor, or Printer) to Apple for recycling, gratis (well, okay, O Pedantic Ones, I had my time and the cost of gas to drive my boxes to the FedEx pickup point). This allowed me to properly dispose of an old Digital Equipment Corporation Alpha XL workstation that DEC and Microsoft abandoned, plus an old Apple B/W monitor.

I think more computer manufacturers should offer free recycling programs.

One of the nice experiences about buying my Mac was Apple E-mailing me two barcodes that allowed me to FedEx two pieces of computer equipment (System, Monitor, or Printer) to Apple for recycling, gratis (well, okay, O Pedantic Ones, I had my time and the cost of gas to drive my boxes to the FedEx pickup point). This allowed me to properly dispose of an old Digital Equipment Corporation Alpha XL workstation that DEC and Microsoft abandoned, plus an old Apple B/W monitor.

I think more computer manufacturers should offer free recycling programs.

If you don't think the cost is built into your purchase you are only kidding yourself. They are not doing anything for "free".

If you don't think the cost is built into your purchase you are only kidding yourself. They are not doing anything for "free".
Well, let's say I took advantage of their "free" offer then, sort of like using the "free" telephone support that comes with the system: they charge for it, whether or not you use it.

Here's a link to a site that has information about different recycling options: http://greenguardian.com/throw6.asp. About halfway down the page they link to different manufacturers' recycling programs. It looks like Dell (http://www.dell4me.com/recycling) will come and get their old equipment from your house instead of making you go and take it to the shippers.:up

Regardless of wether or not it will cost you some time and money to recycle computer products wich have some deadly chemicals in them its better than adding further to the landfill situation, my concern would be if as has been reported on the news over the years that old electronics are getting shipped to third world countries where villagers are picking the stuff apart looking for anything of value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)