Well, I finally did it.

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
I cut the cord and severed my relationship with Dish. I'll the miss the technology and the Hopper. I won't miss the expensive cost and the increasingly poor content on a lot of the channels I paid for. I've purchased the Channel Master DVR+ which works great for my locals and has no monthly subscription cost, added a Roku box to all my TV's, and purchased a Polk Audio XM component radio receiver to get my satellite radio stations. Monthly cost? $9.99 for XM service. Sure beats what I was paying before!! :D;)

Depends on what you watch I guess. :)

So I guess your still not DISH / Echostar free though, because guess who makes that DVR. :D

Yes, I know- and I don't have any ill will towards the company. I love the technology. I just don't like the price and the content as much as I did when I was younger. If they come out with this IP based "over the top" package, I might buy into that. Not sure yet. For now, I'm going to pad my wallet with my savings!

I cut the cord and severed my relationship with Dish. I'll the miss the technology and the Hopper. I won't miss the expensive cost and the increasingly poor content on a lot of the channels I paid for. I've purchased the Channel Master DVR+ which works great for my locals and has no monthly subscription cost, added a Roku box to all my TV's, and purchased a Polk Audio XM component radio receiver to get my satellite radio stations. Monthly cost? $9.99 for XM service. Sure beats what I was paying before!! :D;)

Didn't you have the Hopper and were trying to add a 211 to your account? Were you under contract yet?

I see why people cut the cord. An account with a single 722 and AT120 costs over $60 per month. Doesn't take long to break $100 with a couple pieces of equipment and a higher package.

True. And when I figured out that over 50% of the content I was watching was on PBS and other local channels or available for free elsewhere, I asked myself, "Why am I paying for this?"

I was a cord cutter too. Came back to dish because there is way more crapola on free tv than on Dish Network.

I understand what you're saying, but I also watch a lot of movies, and usually I can get blu-ray's on Ebay or at Hastings for dirt cheap prices. The money I'm saving by not having a Dish subscription buys a lot of blu-ray's and DVD's. Between those movies, locals and Roku I have way more content than I have time to watch. That's how I look at it, anyway.

I bought the 211 then turned around and sold it on Ebay. I am paying some ETF fees, but in the long run there is a savings there

Strangely I canceled about a month and a half ago and I still haven't been dinged with the ETF. Maybe they forgot about me. Logging in with my old Dish credentials shows $0.00 due.

Strangely I canceled about a month and a half ago and I still haven't been dinged with the ETF. Maybe they forgot about me. Logging in with my old Dish credentials shows $0.00 due.

I had my bank issue me a new card with a new number to make sure I would get a final bill. Dish was very specific with me on the phone that they would ding my credit card in 20 days without a bill and without notice. Definitely want to have a final itemization before I pay the ETF.

I'm over the 40 day mark at this point. My card hasn't changed and was used for auto-pay the whole time I was with them. I'm starting to think some kind of glitch is keeping me from being charged. If so, this is one glitch they won't find me complaining about.

I'm over the 40 day mark at this point. My card hasn't changed and was used for auto-pay the whole time I was with them. I'm starting to think some kind of glitch is keeping me from being charged. If so, this is one glitch they won't find me complaining about.

From what they told me, the ONLY card they can charge is the one you used to set up your account which had the initial $1 authorization. They said they don't ding the card you used for auto-pay (unless it was the same card you used when you signed up for service) and they also don't ding bank accounts or cards you used for one-time payments. I sure hope that's true, because I've used a number of cards AND my bank account to make one-time payments.

I think if you are of the right frame of mind you made the right move for you. At some point maybe alot of people will be, just give up on certain programs even though we watch them, or make an effort to watch a few of them online if available and pay per episode.

I see why people cut the cord. An account with a single 722 and AT120 costs over $60 per month. Doesn't take long to break $100 with a couple pieces of equipment and a higher package.

if only the NFL offered a streaming service.....

I bought the 211 then turned around and sold it on Ebay. I am paying some ETF fees, but in the long run there is a savings there

Do you have a hard time making decisions and sticking with them? lol.

You gonna be able to watch MLB?

I posted in another thread the other day, but I called to cancel on Sunday, out of contract and so forth, and they made me too good of an offer to pass up. After all my referral credits, they gave me a $45*12. Downgraded to 120+ and my bill every month for 2hws/2j is right at $30. I'll have another decision to make in a year but I'm more than satisfied.

Hope it works out the way you want it to.

Do you have a hard time making decisions and sticking with them? lol.

You gonna be able to watch MLB?

To answer the first question: yes, when it comes to TV, I have had trouble making this decision. I've been around satellite dishes and satellite TV hardware since I was 11 years old, so shutting it off completely and giving back the receiver was HUGE for me. It's not just about the channels themselves, you see, it's the technology I love. But it comes down to cost, return on investment, and quality. In my opinion, there is far less quality available today than back in the day of the C-Band dishes, with Free-to-air, satellite radio, "wild feeds," etc. I would NEVER have given up the C-Band dish back then. No way.

As far as MLB, I plan to get the MLB.TV subscription and watch the games through my Roku. I've watched one of the "games of the day" and the pic quality is excellent

Last edited:

I have no idea how much you are saving per month, but you seem to feel that your decision is best for you. However, the Channel Master DR+ costs $249 with the added expense of an external hard drive and then how ever much the Roku per television set and the added monthly cost of which ever services you use the Roku for such has Netflix, or Hulu Plus or any number of similar services. Unless, of course, you are using a service such as Vudu charges per episode or per movie. I was very tempted to do the same thing that you did, but by the time I added up my possible savings, I found that my month charges were nearly as much as my $60 monthly Dish charges were. I did get a Roku and a Netflix subscription, a lot of content for merely $8 a month and I no longer think about any premium channels. I would be interested in hearing how well you are faring in a few weeks without the cord.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts