Well, I finally did it.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Thanks for all who gave input. Would prefer not to go the TiVO route, and WMC is not an option for me. 87 bucks per month is getting expensive, and eventually I will hit a price point I do not want to cross. I find myself watching OTA more often than not (doing it right now lol), but am 'spoiled' by a DVR. $249/87= 3 month's service, so a two-room solution would be paid off in six months and I could increase the whisky budget by 80 dollars each month.

:haha

Thanks for all who gave input. Would prefer not to go the TiVO route, and WMC is not an option for me. 87 bucks per month is getting expensive, and eventually I will hit a price point I do not want to cross. I find myself watching OTA more often than not (doing it right now lol), but am 'spoiled' by a DVR. $249/87= 3 month's service, so a two-room solution would be paid off in six months and I could increase the whisky budget by 80 dollars each month.

:haha

I use Playon to do media serving. It supports HD video and there is PlayLater which is basically a DVR on your computer. The combination of Playon/PlayLater allows for sharing across your home network and works very well. And it doesn't take the latest and greatest to run either. I use mine on an i3 laptop of a few years ago and I'm very pleased with it. The downside is that it is 'channeled'. IOW, it supports a pretty good list of sites and more are added slowly over time, but it won't just see anywhere on the web.

Wal-Mart is clearing out their TiVo Premieres for the Roamio model.

I got a brand new TiVo Premiere for $75 at the local Wally World and saw another at another Wal-Mart on sale for $80.

True the Premiere not only has a weaker OTA tuner than the TiVo HD, but the cable QAM tuner is also weaker, the Premiere does not pull all the same unscrambled digital channels that my TiVo HD receives.

I swapped the Premiere for my TiVo Series 2 on my account so my monthly bill only goes up $5 from about $7 to about $12 with the multi-unit discount (I have 4).

The service fee required for TiVo boxes pretty much blows that argument into the next solar system.

There's been plenty of talk here about buying a used Tivo Premiere with lifetime subscription for as little as $300, but for me, buying used hardware wasn't what I wanted to do. For all the complaining about the bugs the DVR+ may or may not have (I haven't experienced any), I did receive a new piece of equipment that comes with absolutely no recurring charges. I guess it's all up to each individual's preferences and the initial investment they are willing to make to "cut the cord." For myself personally, I'm done investing in equipment for awhile. So far, I'm loving my Roku/XM/DVR+ setup. I bought MLB.TV Premium the other day and it works fantasticly (is that a word?) on my Roku. I am not missing DISH at all. :D

Welcome to the cord cutters club! Another option is Simple TV. And you can get a Simple.tv Network Tuner DVR (first generation) with Lifetime Premier Subscription for $125 on Amazon. I ordered one yesterday, I should have it in a few days. You will have to add your own external HDD but if you where a Dish subscriber who had a Vip 211 used as a DVR with an external HDD you already have it. And Simple TV works with Roku. You can access your recordings from all Roku boxes that you have in your house.

Welcome to the cord cutters club! Another option is Simple TV. And you can get a Simple.tv Network Tuner DVR (first generation) with Lifetime Premier Subscription for $125 on Amazon. I ordered one yesterday, I should have it in a few days. You will have to add your own external HDD but if you where a Dish subscriber who had a Vip 211 used as a DVR with an external HDD you already have it. And Simple TV works with Roku. You can access your recordings from all Roku boxes that you have in your house.

I considered Simple.TV before I bought the DVR Plus, but a lot of reviewers said it didn't have a reliable guide, so I was hesitant.

Have been wanting to see the game of thrones for some time. Amazon is just a little too much for 1 season versus a sub to hbo for hbo go access & a ton of additional content. It would be nice to sub to hbo directly & cut out the middleman. Maybe someday I'll be able to fire dish, but for now it's minimum programming with add ons.

Have been wanting to see the game of thrones for some time. Amazon is just a little too much for 1 season versus a sub to hbo for hbo go access & a ton of additional content. It would be nice to sub to hbo directly & cut out the middleman. Maybe someday I'll be able to fire dish, but for now it's minimum programming with add ons.
If you can subscribe to Comcast what you want is doable. I have the Internet Plus package with them, that's 25 MB internet, HBO and HBOGO for $39.95/month for the first year. You will need an Apple TV or a Chromecast to be able to use HBOGO with Comcast, it's not working (yet?) on Roku.

There's been plenty of talk here about buying a used Tivo Premiere with lifetime subscription for as little as $300, but for me, buying used hardware wasn't what I wanted to do. For all the complaining about the bugs the DVR+ may or may not have (I haven't experienced any), I did receive a new piece of equipment that comes with absolutely no recurring charges. I guess it's all up to each individual's preferences and the initial investment they are willing to make to "cut the cord." For myself personally, I'm done investing in equipment for awhile. So far, I'm loving my Roku/XM/DVR+ setup. I bought MLB.TV Premium the other day and it works fantasticly (is that a word?) on my Roku. I am not missing DISH at all. :D

Yes.

Some out there want a DVR with both ATSC and NTSC tuners. The options are extremely limited.

If you can subscribe to Comcast what you want is doable. I have the Internet Plus package with them, that's 25 MB internet, HBO and HBOGO for $39.95/month for the first year. You will need an Apple TV or a Chromecast to be able to use HBOGO with Comcast, it's not working (yet?) on Roku.

No Comcast available here. I subbed a few days ago to hbo thru dish. I do have the hbo go app successfully working on all 3 of my roku boxes as of now. It works flawless, would like a way to eliminate dish but that doesn't seem possible for the moment.

In my area that plan is $49.95 per month. Only some markets get it for the $39.95 per month. There are caveats as well. In order to receive the live HBO channel you have to sub to their digital box, and if you want HD it's another 10 bucks per month. You also cannot add a DVR to that plan. So you're looking at $59 per month for internet, local channels and HBO in HD, and the HBO-GO service, but NO DVR. They're trying to attract cord cutters with that package, but they still don't get it- we want access to those channels via IP. And what's the point if you can't attach a DVR?

I've got that package for internet, HBO was a bonus. The Comcast SD box is still in the original package, I'm not using it. I have all the local channels free and in HD over the air and I'm watching HBO on HBOGO. BTW, on HBOGO you realize that HBO is overpriced. Every week you have one new movie plus one, maybe two episodes from their original series.
In their database they consider me a TV subscriber also. And for sure I'm not the only one. Who knows how many pay TV subscribers they lost in reality?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)