Well I should be getting my new 30" dish..

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Update: I installed the 30" myself!

Ok, I decided to go up on the roof, as I did before with the 18" dish and use the recievers beeping signal page! It seemed very hard to get a signal with this thing compared to the 18". the way the installer had mounted the pole there was no way to get the dish pointed low enough to aquire a signal. So I had to turn it around side ways, so the dish could point lower. When I finally started to point it low enough I got signal! When I got it peaked, (hearing the beeping get faster, and then steady at a fast pace) I tightened up all the bolts, and checked the signal. My quality went up only 2 points to 98, but the power went up from 76 to 87. What exactly helps with the rain fade now? Is it just the size of the dish that helps hold the signal you currently have, or does it have something to do with a better quality, and power level?

rang1995 said:
Gene , good for you...but a sad thing that you can do that and the installers couln't

Yeah, I can't believe how much these particular installers hate to do any real work! I mean I don't know jack about anything when it comes to installing this stuff. I just find it funny that I got a signal, and it took less time then the time they spent here. Actually it's not funny at all. I'm kind of pissed off about it. :mad:

oh I forgot to mention something wierd. When you guys go to that signal meter page with VOOM is it just a gray box with the information written in it? Becasue when I checked my signal level after setting that big dish up I found a picture of a rocket ship behind the numbers and info, and the the gray box was see thru. When I got out of there I noticed the PG was also see thru, it still had color but very faint. The only thing that was bright was the numbers of the channel you were on when flipping thru channels, and the info for what was on. It looked like D*'s PG option to help with burn in. It was there for a few minutes then it was gone after watching a channel for a bit? It was really much nicer looking, and more importantly looked like it would help with burn in greatly! Has anyone ever seen this? Is there some setting to get it like this in the menu guide?

vurbano said:
JAy? rocket ships? you really shouldnt be smokin that stuff with kids around... lmao

jkn

I'm telling you it was there, along with see thru backgrounds on the PG's! Maybe they are doing some testing with these, and they'll have them available in the next software update? My wife saw it too btw.

VOOM IS TERRIBLE First Let me start off by saying I HATED VOOM ! . THIS MAY NOT HAVE BEEN THE CASE WERE IT NOT FOR A PROBLEM EVERY STEP OF THE WAY. Boxes were freezing , no signal screen way too much, service was horrendous and installers were horrendous. was told it would take 2 weeks for a service call. i didnt even have a signal lol i cancelled after 3 failed attempts for installation and just plain bad customer service.

stevesmall said:
VOOM IS TERRIBLE First Let me start off by saying I HATED VOOM ! . THIS MAY NOT HAVE BEEN THE CASE WERE IT NOT FOR A PROBLEM EVERY STEP OF THE WAY. Boxes were freezing , no signal screen way too much, service was horrendous and installers were horrendous. was told it would take 2 weeks for a service call. i didnt even have a signal lol i cancelled after 3 failed attempts for installation and just plain bad customer service.

This thread has nothing to do with hate for VOOM. what brought that on? I'm talking about installers here.

rang1995 said:
Gene ==do you realize you have your own thread here?? :)

yep, but back to what I was talking with myself about....;) what ever it was I saw I liked it, and I bet it's on the next software update! Those see thru PG's were sweet!

Jay you really need to write a letter as to what happened to installs inc and too voom. And they need to send another installer out to check out your work. A clown like that (the installer)is just giving voom a bad rep.

GeneWildershair said:
I mean I don't know jack about anything when it comes to installing this stuff. I just find it funny that I got a signal, and it took less time then the time they spent here. Actually it's not funny at all. I'm kind of pissed off about it. :mad:

Look at it positively Jay. Now you know how easy it is to tune/mount/install a dish.

If your listening V*!?!? Think about letting the customer do their own install. We are worthy! :yes

GeneWildershair said:
;) what ever it was I saw I liked it, and I bet it's on the next software update!

Count me in as wanting to see it. And how about the 'info' button activating this see-thru guide tuned to the channel listing. Not just one channel mind you, but the whole enchilada.

GeneWildershair said:
Ok, I decided to go up on the roof, as I did before with the 18" dish and use the recievers beeping signal page! It seemed very hard to get a signal with this thing compared to the 18". the way the installer had mounted the pole there was no way to get the dish pointed low enough to aquire a signal. So I had to turn it around side ways, so the dish could point lower. When I finally started to point it low enough I got signal! When I got it peaked, (hearing the beeping get faster, and then steady at a fast pace) I tightened up all the bolts, and checked the signal. My quality went up only 2 points to 98, but the power went up from 76 to 87. What exactly helps with the rain fade now? Is it just the size of the dish that helps hold the signal you currently have, or does it have something to do with a better quality, and power level?
Good for you Jay! :yes

Couple of points:
1. My guess is that with a little more time, you would be able to peak the dish to 99 and that appears to be the max.
2. Since the geniuses at Motorola/Voom changed the signal strength scale so the usable numbers are between 70 and 99, going from 96 to 98 is more than what it appears.
3. Do not make excuses for Voom when they send these loosers to install, especially when they do not even give you the option of self installing.

Looking forward to hearing how your new dish holds up in drizzle and rain.

Gr8Reb8 said:

Couple of points:
1. My guess is that with a little more time, you would be able to peak the dish to 99 and that appears to be the max.
2. Since the geniuses at Motorola/Voom changed the signal strength scale so the usable numbers are between 70 and 99, going from 96 to 98 is more than what it appears.
3. Do not make excuses for Voom when they send these loosers to install, especially when they do not even give you the option of self installing.

well when I posted my results after my installation yesterday, it was pretty cloudy out with some dark grey clouds out. This morning it's clear blue skies and I'm now getting a quality of 99, and power 89

Gr8Reb8 said:

Couple of points:

I've had the 30" Voom dish for just over 2 weeks now. On a clear day the signal strength is 98. When it rains it drops to 90-92. No change in picture quality when it rains. Before, I would lose the signal completely when it rains. Not now. Great picture all the time. The dish is pointing almost horizontally since the satellite is low in the sky.

My install of the 30" was not exciting at all. The installer assembled the dish in the drive-way, hauled it on top of the roof, removed the old one, attached the new 30" dish, took out his meter to obtain the signal, tightened it down, and left. The meter was attached to the dish and audibly told him (by beeps)when the dish was peaked.

JasonX said:
I've had the 30" Voom dish for just over 2 weeks now. On a clear day the signal strength is 98. When it rains it drops to 90-92. No change in picture quality when it rains. Before, I would lose the signal completely when it rains. Not now. Great picture all the time. The dish is pointing almost horizontally since the satellite is low in the sky.

My install of the 30" was not exciting at all. The installer assembled the dish in the drive-way, hauled it on top of the roof, removed the old one, attached the new 30" dish, took out his meter to obtain the signal, tightened it down, and left. The meter was attached to the dish and audibly told him (by beeps)when the dish was peaked.

yeah that's good to hear, I guess the big dish helps retain the signal you currently have, where as the small 18" dish just can't. As far as installers go, I think the couple of guys that I had yesterday, were just a couple of jack asses. I forgot to mention that I argued with the guy abou tleaving the dish so I could try to put it myself. I had to call VOOM and have them tell him to leave it. The installer was telling me I wouldn't be able to get a signal without modifying the dish. :rolleyes:

rang1995 said:
Did they use a new LNB or take the one off the 18" dish,then back again (because you still have the 18")if the LNB isn't the right distance or the correct one for that dish it can be a problem(i have read)

You can use the same lnb for either size dish. It is the arm length that is different. 30" dish has longer arm to get right focal point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts