Well it even happened to me...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Scott i had once a issue just like you with one of my old customers, he had to hire a lawyer to keep his dish he won, next year he died of a heart attack maybe caused by the stress

I don’t have to fight. It’s dead. :)

Lone Gunman and bobvick: What sort of Internet do you have out in the boonies?
I have 4.0Mbps/512Kpbs DSL from CenturyLink, I also have HughesNet Gen 5 and an AT&T Wireless hotspot to supplement that.

In the not too distant future, perhaps no later than two years, the electric coop here will have fiber available.

They have started in the two largest towns in the county, and then they will build out from there.

Next year they are supposed to be going up the State highway that is about 2 miles from me with fiber, so hopefully it won't be but a couple of years until they extend out the county roads off of that main highway.

Once it gets here I'll be able to get 1Gbps/1Gpbs, unmetered service.

Reactions: navychop
Next year they are supposed to be going up the State highway that is about 2 miles from me with fiber, so hopefully it won't be but a couple of years until they extend out the county roads off of that main highway.
Don't hold your breath. Something else may come along like it did for me. Back around the turn of the century I was told that DSL was pretty close. Even today the best they offer my address is 512k. Comcast fibered my neighborhood fully 10 years before Centurylink managed to install their copper-based multiplexer and I still get two Centurylink flyers per month promising "up to" 20Mb.

Don't hold your breath. Something else may come along like it did for me. Back around the turn of the century I was told that DSL was pretty close. Even today the best they offer my address is 512k. Comcast fibered my neighborhood fully 10 years before Centurylink managed to install their copper-based multiplexer and I still get two Centurylink flyers per month promising "up to" 20Mb.

CenturyLink is not doing this. It is the rural electric cooperative that serves our area.
They are wiring the two counties they serve with fiber.
These are very rural counties, with 30,000 and 16,000 people. The co-op is getting grants and low interest loans from the RUS (Rural Utilities Service).
Right now the two largest towns (4,700 and 6,500) in this county (and the service area) are wired and going into service right now.
They are going along the main highways next, and into the smaller towns, and then will branch off of the main highways to the county roads.

CenturyLink is not doing this. It is the rural electric cooperative that serves our area.
I used my situation as an example where the apparent incumbent didn't pull off what they had said they were going to do. Electrical coops aren't really much better situated to expand their services than the telcos as niether has a lot of buried fiber. The RUS money is available to whomever steps up.

When the number of customers added per kilometer of fiber added declines to a low enough point, interest wanes.

In my area, various mom and pop cable operations made lots of promises but in more than a few cases, microwave providers came in and sniped many of the potential customers. Wi-max was supposed to do that but it never really materialized on the projected scale.

Finally, there was a fairly large push to install Verizon FIOS service for a while but when they lost interest in many areas (and sold them to Frontier), it seems to have trailed off considerably as a "most wished for" provider.

I used my situation as an example where the apparent incumbent didn't pull off what they had said they were going to do. Electrical coops aren't really much better situated to expand their services than the telcos as niether has a lot of buried fiber. The RUS money is available to whomever steps up.

When the number of customers added per kilometer of fiber added declines to a low enough point, interest wanes.

In my area, various mom and pop cable operations made lots of promises but in more than a few cases, microwave providers came in and sniped many of the potential customers. Wi-max was supposed to do that but it never really materialized on the projected scale.

Finally, there was a fairly large push to install Verizon FIOS service for a while but when they lost interest in many areas (and sold them to Frontier), it seems to have trailed off considerably as a "most wished for" provider.

Well, I guess we’ll just have to see what happens. BTW, the electric co-op had no fiber until they started this project. They aren’t burying anything either. They are using their own poles, and Southern Company poles in areas they don’t provide electric service.

Fiber rocks :)

Hopefully they rock it out and get you guys going. 512K DSL is not usable and you deserve better.

your dish(es) are in the front yard? I'm surprised a druggie hasn't stolen them and sold them to scrap metal dealers to fund their habit!

Fiber rocks :)

Hopefully they rock it out and get you guys going. 512K DSL is not usable and you deserve better.

Thankfully I can get 4.0 down, that is quite useable, I’ve definitely had worse. And I have the HughesNet to supplement, it’s actually pretty good, latency is the main issue anymore with satellite. Hopefully, they’ll get the fiber out here sooner rather than later though.
I’ll say this, I never thought we’d ever be this close to getting fiber all over the county. This is a very rural county with only about 30,000 people over 750 sq miles. The only thing we have is an interstate highway and a couple of Wal-Marts :)

Reactions: KE4EST
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts