Well it's 2009 - How about a poll of "E"'s credibility?

How well did Dish meet your expectations for National HD the last 3 months?

• Dish exceeded my expectations for new national HD

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Dish fell far short of my expectations for national HD

Votes: 146 54.1%
  • Dish added about as much national HD as I expected

Votes: 51 18.9%
  • Dish fell only a little short of my expectations for new national HD

Votes: 64 23.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Anybody know why Direct TV seems to be ahead of Dish in adding HD Channels? That's certainly the case with Local HD. In Orlando, for example, not only does Direct offer the big 4 nets in HD, but also CW, PBS, & MNTV. Dish always seems to be trailing. They dumped VOOM, which really set them above and apart from Direct. Their only big exclusive of 2008 seemed to be World Fishing Network. Does Direct just have more HD capacity than Dish or is it simply better managed? Perhaps the departure of Programming Head Eric Sahl will be an improvement for Dish.

I did not fall for the sucker bet of 150. There just are not that many possible channels for them to put up. I voted slightly short. I figured there would be 7-10 more channels in December. Dish is notoriously slow making deals with the channels.

This was exactly what I was thinking. I understood that Dish was having some limitations, hardwarewise and with the new birds up there will be some changes, although slow in the coming. In a lot of ways Charlie seems to make bonehead moves, but I think he has an overall longterm master plan that will take a lot of time to evolve. And, I'm holding out hope it will be great. :D

I voted far short. While the shear number of HD channels they added can be listed as impressive, they did cancel out all the ZOOM channels which freed up programming space which hasn't entirely been replaced.

Given that DISH alluded to "up to 150" channels by years end and didn't reach that figure, that's even moreso disappointing. It seems their concentration was on uping the number of Pay-per-view and VOD channels as opposed to some scheduled HD programming. Their expectation really was misleading. Almost like telling the people who were about to drop DISH for their lack of programming to "hold on" as there are additional channels coming but in fact they never came.

My hope in 2009 is that they can substantially increase their HD channel offering and i'd like to see my RSN (Fox Cincinnati) become a full-time 24 hour channel so I don't have to save the SD equivalent on my favorites.

I picked that they fell short because of Showtime, it was rumored to be the first premium to get extra hd channels and has turned out to be the last. HD Absolute couldn't have been a hold up and Showtime isn't Viacom anymore so not sure what is going on with it.

I also don't think they have added enough for the price increases from HD absolute to the turbo packs nor do I think the channels separated into the platinum pack are worth $10.

I voted far short and voted with my feet by running to U-verse where I now have 39 of my 51 pay movie stations in HD. THILLERMAX HD anyone??
I hope you didn't have a head-on with all of the people running AWAY from U-verse.;)

The fun will come in February when we see where these place in the Turbo packages.

There's no mystery in this, unless some of the SD channels change packages as well. (And generally, if they do, they always move to a LOWER package.) The Turbo packages currently line up 100% with the SD packages. And the way the new website design is laid out, it's pretty clear it's going to stay that way.

Bronze- Comedy Central, MTV, VH1, CMT, Spike, Nick

Silver- FX, BET, Speed

As for C&I and FTV, they will most likely go in Platinum, unless the SD versions are also added...then, probably Gold, but who knows.

The only exceptions to the rule are HD Theatre, HDNet, and Paladia...apparently it's in their contract they must be the in lowest HD package.

I voted far short...not for the fact that they didn't add any, because they added a few...but the fact that they really didn't even try to reach "up to 150 by the end of the year"...
It's really easy to reach "up to 150 by the end of the year". They could have reached up to 100 billion by the end of the year. What would have been hard is reaching OVER 150 by the end of the year.

I voted far short. While the shear number of HD channels they added can be listed as impressive, they did cancel out all the ZOOM channels which freed up programming space which hasn't entirely been replaced.

Given that DISH alluded to "up to 150" channels by years end and didn't reach that figure, that's even moreso disappointing. It seems their concentration was on uping the number of Pay-per-view and VOD channels as opposed to some scheduled HD programming. Their expectation really was misleading. Almost like telling the people who were about to drop DISH for their lack of programming to "hold on" as there are additional channels coming but in fact they never came.

My hope in 2009 is that they can substantially increase their HD channel offering and i'd like to see my RSN (Fox Cincinnati) become a full-time 24 hour channel so I don't have to save the SD equivalent on my favorites.
Of course they did. All they need is 1 hd channel and they have UP TO 150 hd chanels.

Well another day, another dollar.....anyone speculating whether CES will spawn some new national HD offerings from Dish? Awful quiet on the rumor front.:)

On a scale of 1 to 150, I felt that I could give them up to 150, but in the end I could only give them a 1.

Well, they DID split VS. off.

I expect it's driving Charlie (and his minnions) crazy that this thread keeps getting bumped to the top.:D

Echostar/DISH...What credibility?

Expected nothing. Still dissappointed :(

That about sums it up for me, too...couldn't have said either one better! :up

Well another day, another dollar.....anyone speculating whether CES will spawn some new national HD offerings from Dish?

:haha

(that reminds me...Scott needs to add a smiley with a carrot dangling in front of it's face, in honor of E*)

Well another day, another dollar.....anyone speculating whether CES will spawn some new national HD offerings from Dish? Awful quiet on the rumor front.:)

I think they'll likely just reiterate what they sent out to the retailers on the 31st about upcoming HD. They seem to be waiting on the 129 replacement and they don't seem to be in any particular hurry to move it over to 129 yet. I suspect they'll want to get all the existing stuff transferred over before adding anything new. They likely feel safe they won't lose subs as long as they add some stuff with the February price increases. If they increase prices without adding HD, I think they will anger some subs and maybe lose them. The vast majority of subs don't pay attention to any of this stuff.

The key to any improvements at Dish (or DirectTV) is "competition" and at the moment there is none. With "D" not even making an official showing at CES, it's unlikely "E" will give anymore than lip service to it's customers.

But hey, talk is cheap and Charlie has plenty of it. I have no doubt a few of our friends from "SatGuys" will be exposed to some convincing words of wisdom as "E"s fearless leader once again calms the seas of skepticism.:)

So what many thought was a sure thing by the end of 2008 will instead become the new carrot for February's price increases.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts