Well it's 2009 - How about a poll of "E"'s credibility?

How well did Dish meet your expectations for National HD the last 3 months?

• Dish exceeded my expectations for new national HD

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Dish fell far short of my expectations for national HD

Votes: 146 54.1%
  • Dish added about as much national HD as I expected

Votes: 51 18.9%
  • Dish fell only a little short of my expectations for new national HD

Votes: 64 23.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jim. I have been here for over a year and never realized you have FiOS.:D
Too funny!:D

The VIP line are great receivers and I still have my three 622 waiting for E* to give me a reason to hook 'em back up...they just don't appear to be very interested in listening to what I have to say or meeting my needs. My next door neighbors have D* (the only non-FiOS customers on the block) and their HD picture quality looks quite good. E* went from being the HD Leader to the HD Lummox during 2008.

Both FiOS and D* offer more HD, better quality HD, and a better overall value for most customers. This is the primary reason E* lacks credibility in my eyes...and their numbers show it: FiOS, U-Verse and D* all added customers the past 6-months, while E* managed to lose them. Since I now work at a large facility, I occasionally hear people talk about how much they love their FiOS, U-Verse or DirecTV service...and very few good things are said about Time-Warner (local cable company) and Dish Network. Dish Network had better do something to right their ship or they will continue to lose customers for a 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th straight quarters this year.

...Both FiOS and D* offer more HD, better quality HD, and a better overall value for most customers. ...

See, this is where we part company about Fios and DirecTV. First, Fios most certainly doesn't offer more HD where I live, because they have nothing where I live. This is true of probably 95% of the country. Also, DirecTV and Dish are pretty even for HD quantity. Direct has more sports, but I don't care. I also suspect that Dish will launch the promised Fox and Viacom nets in the next month. DirecTV's "lead" will vanish. Actually, they looked poised to fall behind.

As to quality, I don't see much of a difference. I have a 32" 720p LCD. I can't tell the difference. So I don't care. And most of the HD world, who like me have TVs smaller than 50" will agree: The quality differences are minimal at best.

As to value, no DirecTV package can match my HD Absolute price. Nor can the match the TurboHD prices. Oh, they get close with massive discounts year 1 and to a lesser extent, year 2, but I'm going to have the service longer than that. Also, part of the value equation is the great technology Dish gives us. Even you admit the Dish stuff is the best.

And as I have said, Fios can't compete because they are not here. I which I could get them, but given this is an AT&T area, it's not happening.

Plus, another thing I have going is I'm not pissed about the loss of Voom. I think that's a big reason for your dislike of Dish.

See, this is where we part company about Fios and DirecTV. First, Fios most certainly doesn't offer more HD where I live, because they have nothing where I live. This is true of probably 95% of the country. Also, DirecTV and Dish are pretty even for HD quantity. Direct has more sports, but I don't care. I also suspect that Dish will launch the promised Fox and Viacom nets in the next month. DirecTV's "lead" will vanish. Actually, they looked poised to fall behind.

As to quality, I don't see much of a difference. I have a 32" 720p LCD. I can't tell the difference. So I don't care. And most of the HD world, who like me have TVs smaller than 50" will agree: The quality differences are minimal at best.

As to value, no DirecTV package can match my HD Absolute price. Nor can the match the TurboHD prices. Oh, they get close with massive discounts year 1 and to a lesser extent, year 2, but I'm going to have the service longer than that. Also, part of the value equation is the great technology Dish gives us. Even you admit the Dish stuff is the best.

And as I have said, Fios can't compete because they are not here. I which I could get them, but given this is an AT&T area, it's not happening.

Plus, another thing I have going is I'm not pissed about the loss of Voom. I think that's a big reason for your dislike of Dish.
The nice thing is we all have different needs and we can disagree without being wrong. Overall, I stand by my statement of FiOS providing the best HD experience, followed by D*, and then E* in 4th or 5th place.

As far as VOOM is concerned...I enjoyed their programming, but I left E* months (cancelled in Jan/Feb) before they were pulled from Dish Network due to 2+ years of DishHD-Lite. With or without VOOM, I never would have terminated service if E* didn't join the ranks of D*, and permanently stay there, by downrezzing their HD in October 2005. As far as my "dislike of Dish" is concerned, I was generally very satisfied with their service, support and pricing, and I loved the receivers. Heck, the DTVPal and DTVPal DVR are also top-notch products. I am just calling like I see it...be it good, bad or ugly. If I receive good service in a restaurant I praise the waiter/waitress and leave a 25-30% tip. If I receive poor service, I have no problem telling the manager why I am not satisfied and I won't be coming back unless service improves. Likewise, if E* should once again return to providing eye-popping vice eye-pooping HD, then I would certainly consider them as a potential provider once again.

If anything, I should be pissed that I purchased three 622s thinking I could actually use them to watch and record HD. The only HD I could enjoy were the free OTA locals which were shamefully better than the pixilated and soft representation of my HD locals that were being presented by E*. Dish Network is not an option for anyone who enjoys HD because they provide...well, no real HD channels...nodda....zip...nil...zero...void....null...in my opinion. ;)

Dish Network can either address the issues that I (and others) have mentioned or continue to stand still while being passed.

The nice thing is we all have different needs and we can disagree without being wrong. Overall, I stand by my statement of FiOS providing the best HD experience, followed by D*, and then E* in 4th or 5th place.

Then we'll disagree. I consider, as far a HD experience, Dish and Direct tied. Each has some channels the other doesn't, DirecTV may have marginally better quality, but Dish has the best technology. And here in Cleveland, they definally are far above cable operators TWC, WOW, and Cox, which have way less HD than Dish, and at lower quality. All I ask is you stop compairing choices in your neighborhood becuase we all don't live there. Like I said, I'd go Fios if I could, but I will not be able to do so anytime soon.

Dish Network is not an option for anyone who enjoys HD because they provide...well, no real HD channels...nodda....zip...nil...zero...void....null...in my opinion. ;)

The last 3 words are all I needed to hear. Personally, if Dish went to offering eye-popping HD by your standard, I'd probably leave because they would heve been forced to drop half their channels. I'd rather have lots of "OK" HD for the masses than a little high quality HD for the videophiles.

There was no right answer in the above list for me so I didn't vote. I really had no expectations for gaining national HD channels (Even living in PA, I'm "from Missouri" and all!). But I didn't expect to LOSE anything either, like all the voOm channels (I know, get over it!) and I had high expectations for gaining my HD LiLs, which did not happen in 2008 and probably never will in my lifetime! What was added IMHO did not make up for what was lost or not added that I wanted, so overall I am quite disappointed. Is this really a credibility issue? Since we weren't really promised anything I don't see it as such. But I have more incentitive to consider the competition in 2009. The price increases in Feb. will probably be what forces me to get off the fence...