Well, my Locals are now officially gone...

SteveinDanville

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
Came home last night and all my local channels are now gone; my distant networks are still there and working fine. I have had Comcast basic cable for some time run into my Yamaha receiver so that we could get some FM reception, so I split that and put the other line into my 721 and ran a cable from the 721's Out to TV port into my TV, and clicked on the TV/Video button on the remote, and voila! about 50 local channels were all there. I just have to remember to always be on Ch. 3 on my cable when I switch back to the 721 as my source, and to use the "TV" mode button for switching channels on the cable. I don't really care if I can't record the locals since I can record the distants (3 hours earlier, thankfully), and the signal quality was always better on the distants than the satellite/locals anyway. I guess I'm about 98% happy after kind of a scary proposition. By the way, I never received any response from my local Fox, CBS or NBC affiliates when I asked them in writing for a waiver. Nice customer relations, dorks.

Here are two of my waiver denials received via email:

Dear Mr. Hilton:

Thank you for taking the time to write WFAA. We understand that you have received a letter from the Dish Network stating that, as a result of a change in the satellite law, WFAA has the ability to allow you to receive a distant network signal, as well as the local network signal from our station. Unfortunately, the Dish Network's letter is misleading and we are not in a position to grant such a waiver. In changing the law, Congress intended that once consumers were able to receive their local broadcast signal via satellite, distant signal reception would be phased out.

We know that you may choose to subscribe to either the distant signal or the local signal, and certainly hope you choose your local broadcaster. The ability to serve your needs is important to us, however we cannot do that if you are watching a station from outside our area. Our station's primary focus is to reach and serve all of the viewers in Dallas-Fort Worth. Satellite-delivered network programming from other cities prevents local viewers from seeing WFAA, and it impairs our ability to bring unique local programming to the community.

As you know, WFAA provides all of the same network programming as the distant network, as well as quality local news, severe weather and emergency information that you will not find on the distant network signal. WFAA provides approximately 35 hours of local news per week, as well as a variety of programming specifically focused on community issues. We are committed to providing the North Texas community with the highest level of news and programming, and we believe that our viewers value the service we provide.

Again, thank you for your letter and we certainly hope that we have been able to clarify any confusion that may have surrounded this issue. We sincerely hope that we can continue to serve you as a valued member of our television audience.

Dave Muscari

VP/Strategic Alliances

Dear Mr. Hilton:

We have received you letter requesting a waiver of the restrictions contained in the Satellite Home Viewer Act (SHVA) to allow you to receive an out-of-market NBC signal from your satellite carrier. The SHVA allows satellite carriers to deliver out-of-market network signals only to viewers in selected areas far from local network broadcast stations. Based on your address, we have determined that you are not eligible to receive an out-of-market NBC signal, and we are denying your waiver request.

I hope that this is not too much of an inconvenience for you.I certainly appreciate that you are such a loyal NBC 5 viewer and wish we could be of further assistance regarding this situation.

Regards,
Eileen
NBC 5

Write them back and tell them to kiss your @ss. Since you don't care about watching them anyway and are getting the distant channels... The only reason the locals are so adamite about the whole thing is because they get their revenue from advertisers and the way they charge is by viewership. If you are watching distants and not the local, they can't charge the advertiser as much. My local channels got the K.M.A. letter from me. Probably didn't matter to them much, but I felt much better!!!

Slamminc11 said:
Write them back and tell them to kiss your @ss. Since you don't care about watching them anyway and are getting the distant channels... The only reason the locals are so adamite about the whole thing is because they get their revenue from advertisers and the way they charge is by viewership. If you are watching distants and not the local, they can't charge the advertiser as much. My local channels got the K.M.A. letter from me. Probably didn't matter to them much, but I felt much better!!!
Halle-freakin'-lluia!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)