Well that was fun...

lgball

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
Oklahoma
So, I had my 2H2J setup installed day before yesterday. i had to leave, so I didn't fully test everything before the installer left. he said it was all working. Trouble is, I wasn't able to get one Joey to talk to the Hopper I wanted to link it to and its MOCA connection was intermittant at best. It would give me a picture, but only link and see one Hopper (the wrong one). I struggled with it for 4-5 hours, rebooting, resetting, etc. I finally decided to look at the input cable to the Joey, and voila, I found a diplexer left from the old 211. The installer must have unhooked both cables, but never thought to look where they went. I pulled the diplexer out and hooked the coax back up and whaddayaknow, all is perfect.

I did learn that a Joey can get a lot of its info from the ethernet cable, even if it can't do all the linking over MOCA.

Anyway, all is well now. Moral of the story, never let an installer leave until you've tested EVERYTHING.

Man that is the truth. My installer didn't connect a solo node so I was only able to use two tuners on my hopper. I asked him about it and he said single hopper installs with no joeys only use two tuners. In hindsight I think he was trying to lie to me because he didn't have a solo node in his van. He was out the door and my tuners said 'tv guide' downloading programing and 'lost signal'. I called the company the installer was contracted with and told them he didn't install a solo node and this has caused my hopper's third tuner to be non-operational. He was out there to 'fix' it but didn't have the part six hours later. I requested he just drop the part off and I'll finish the job and he had a coworker come by and drop one off.

Most of those guys are looking to get in and out as fast as possible... throw it together and move.

Man that is the truth. My installer didn't connect a solo node so I was only able to use two tuners on my hopper. I asked him about it and he said single hopper installs with no joeys only use two tuners. In hindsight I think he was trying to lie to me because he didn't have a solo node in his van. He was out the door and my tuners said 'tv guide' downloading programing and 'lost signal'. I called the company the installer was contracted with and told them he didn't install a solo node and this has caused my hopper's third tuner to be non-operational. He was out there to 'fix' it but didn't have the part six hours later. I requested he just drop the part off and I'll finish the job and he had a coworker come by and drop one off.

Most of those guys are looking to get in and out as fast as possible... throw it together and move.

And if you didn't know better, you would have accecpted it that way. The same holds true with Directv, and the providers wonder why customers get pist off and cancel their service.

Very crappy service and I know why the techs end up doing it. These Hopper installs are taking so long that it's impossible for them to make any money. It's either stay, get it right and not make any money or getting working as best you can so you can move on and try to make a living. The techs are put in a pretty crappy position. I'm not saying it's right but I do understand.

That joey will work with only ethernet as well. No coax necessary. Or a wifi adapter for that matter. Its unfortunate you had a bad experience. The system is not difficult to install.

One of the main problems is the training (lack of) techs received when the system was rolled out. A lot of guys still don't understand the little ins and outs and tricks.

It can be easy for some installs and a nightmare for others. I think even the most experienced installers have had a problem or two. I do agree that the overall knowledge and training has been the worst I've ever seen.

I agree. I had to explain the purpose of the HIC to my installer, and how to install it. All from what I learned here.

He said he had one on his truck for a while, but never had a request to install it until I came along.... :)

Yeah this guy told me that there would never be an OTA tuner for the Hopper because there was no slot for it. I educated him about the USB part coming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)