Well, we just lost KTIV Channel 4/NBC from Sioux City, IA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Also, I will add to this thread that in the last year KTIV has renegotiated agreements with DirectV, Comcast, and a couple of other providers with no problems at all. FWIW.

Also, I will add to this thread that in the last year KTIV has renegotiated agreements with DirectV, Comcast, and a couple of other providers with no problems at all. FWIW.
KTIV hasn’t negotiated agreements with anybody... their owner on the other hand...

This is Dish’s business model. It’s their M.O. Like I said, we can bitch collectively about it or take advantage of the options available to us

Dish is not part of a holding company.

KTIV is one of a dozen or so stations around the US owned by a single conglomerate, Quincy Media. Quincy Media is the one who has to do the negotiations.

OK, then, to assuage the purists here: Quincy Media has negotiated the re-transmission rights to KTIV with numerous providers in the last year with no issues. Not sure writing it that way makes a practical difference but OK.

In the same note, Dish has renegotiated carriage rights with numerous channel owners in the last 12 months without blackout as well.

OK, then, to assuage the purists here: Quincy Media has negotiated the re-transmission rights to KTIV with numerous providers in the last year with no issues

They all say that Dish is the "only provider" they ever have issues with. Not sure I believe that. Not that I believe all of Dish's claims either ("we're going to bat for the customer")

Reactions: JSheridan
when dish wanted locals, I canceled dish. I could only get Omaha on dish. I like ktiv channel 4 on my rotor Antenna. so I am now streaming networks and watching locals Ota. I like it so far, chas

Get a different receiver, add OTA dongle. Or “move.” Plenty of options here that don’t include endless whining :)
A different receiver will add more per month to our bill. Besides, the 722K is perfect for our needs (1 HDTV and one SDTV). Just wished the OTA worked like it used to.

Being retired on a fixed income with increased out-of-pocket medical expenses makes watching expenses necessary.

I'm not sure what you mean by "move." If it means lying about our location, it would be a problem if we need a service call.

Sorry for my "endless whining." Must be the medical issues.

Reactions: charlesrshell
A different receiver will add more per month to our bill. Besides, the 722K is perfect for our needs (1 HDTV and one SDTV). Just wished the OTA worked like it used to.

Being retired on a fixed income with increased out-of-pocket medical expenses makes watching expenses necessary.

I'm not sure what you mean by "move." If it means lying about our location, it would be a problem if we need a service call.

Sorry for my "endless whining." Must be the medical issues.

I’ve been “moved” for years and haven’t had issues with service calls. If you have trouble, simply move back. You have options.

What he means by a different receiver is to have the 722k replaced with a different 722k (keep your existing OTA module with you) to see if that solves the problem.

If you need a service call, you just take advantage of the "Dish Move-In Deal" to "move" back to your actual location, and get the installation for free. You can do the free "Dish Mover" as long as it has been at least 12 months since your last installation.

If you need a service call, you just take advantage of the "Dish Move-In Deal" to "move" back to your actual location, and get the installation for free. You can do the free "Dish Mover" as long as it has been at least 12 months since your last installation.

Good point! I had forgotten about that option.

ClarkGable we are here to help you find all available options. This board is an amazing resource.

Reactions: pattykay
As the OP, I did install the dual OTA adapter I picked up a while back (when there was a lot of talk here about it, forgot I had it!) My only problem is, using a "leaf" style inside amplified antenna, I can only pick up a couple of networks. One location gets two of them, another location gets the other two. Even when placed to get the one I need that is blacked out, it's weak enough that sometimes when I go it it I get the "week signal" box and it just sits and spins. Usually if I go away from it and come back I can get it, but I worry about preset recordings.

But on the good side the OTA for the H3 does allow me to not have to have an inside OTA antenna for the H3 and each 4K Joey. So nice feature.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yeah, there's been a lot of changes on OTA. Here some of the channels that were on the high-end of the UHF band are now on low VHF, sharing space with other channels. For some, that means having to get a different antenna to accommodate the VHF reassignments. It's been nine years from the analog-to-digital transition and it is a continuous challenge to maintain an OTA system, especially for those in the fringe areas. Seems to be the era of "buy and try" when it comes to selecting an antenna.

I suggest checking TV Fool to see what is available in your area. This won't bring back your station but perhaps there are alternatives.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Yeah, there's been a lot of changes on OTA. Here some of the channels that were on the high-end of the UHF band are now on low VHF, sharing space with other channels. For some, that means having to get a different antenna to accommodate the VHF reassignments. It's been nine years from the analog-to-digital transition and it is a continuous challenge to maintain an OTA system, especially for those in the fringe areas. Seems to be the era of "buy and try" when it comes to selecting an antenna.
You're referring to the repack which is a government mandated channel change. I think it's channel 37 and above that is getting cleared out. It will take another year or so until all the "moving" is done.
I suggest checking TV Fool to see what is available in your area. This won't bring back your station but perhaps there are alternatives.
um, tvfool should show you what kind of antenna you'd need to get the missing channel.

The FCC should give coupons or rebates to OTA consumers when buying antennas. All these changes can require reworking of current home TV antenna installations . (Just a little levity).

Way back when, UHF TV encompassed channels 14 - 83, then it was pared down several channels, now it's being whittled away even more. Some day OTA will consist of the original channels (2 - 13) with broadcasters signing off at night, and signing on early AM. Maybe Sunrise Sermonette will be reinstituted also.

No criticism intended, just light-hearted humorous opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts