Went To Get Pole, Decided I Need More Help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Gray1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
St. Louis, Missouri
Not sure what size pole to get. I want a 10 foot section (3 feet below ground and seven above ground). I was wanting to use galvanized water line because
of its durabiltiy and strength. I havent decided which FTA dish to use, but wanted to set the pole before winter. Here are my choices

2" galvanized 2 3/8 OD
1 1/2" galvanized 1 7/8 OD
1 1/4" galvanized 1 5/8 OD

It would seem prudent to put it the biggest and strongest since I want a 90cm or maybe a 1 meter dish. But I dont want to get so big it will be hard to find a dish to fit it either. I do plan on having a motor.

Does anyone have any suggestions? What is the "normal" size you use? It seems
nobody in my area knows anything about FTA. Cant find a dish locally. I am depending on you all to help me out.

Thanks for any and all advise

Allen

well i used the 2 3/8 gal fencepost and its not strong enough , maybe if adding concreat will give it strength. i did buy thicker wall stuff and look to pay more for that . didn't try the junk/scrap yard can probably get a good strong pole there.

if you can look around locally and find an old primestar dish , thats what i have one mounted with a motor and an oval mounted in a bucket for testing and playing. these are usually inexpensive if you can find and pick up locally.

good luck

I have 2 3/8 fence post that I use for my Primestars. Nice and solid, strong. I ahve it sunk about 2 feet (a little less actually), with about 4' above ground. I used 2 50 pounds bags of ready post.

I'd definitely go with the 2 3/8", since a motor will bolt up nicely to that diameter, and many larger dishes (Primestars and Channel Masters in particular, as well as the Toroidal T-90) use 2 3/8" mounts.

I to used a 2 3/8" fence post filled with concrete, its not strong enough, flexes in a strong wind so I had to add guy wires to it. A thick wall water pipe of the same diameter should be OK.
My 1M dish and motor weigh about 40lbs.

Thanks for all the help. I went back today and got the galvanized 2 3/8 schedule
40. Now comes the digging part.

:) thanks
allen

I am going to try and attach pics. Hope It works.

The hole turned out to be 43" deep and 14" wide.(I got carried away) took 6 bags of 80lb premix to fill it. I filled it to the top because I dont like to use a weedeater. Call me lazy.

I copied Cbandlover's conduit in the front to run the cable in. I think it looks better.

Thanks to all of you for your advise and suggestions.

Allen

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 164
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 184
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 170
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 180
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 176
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 174
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)