We're baaaa-aack

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bronxiniowa

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 15, 2013
Iowa
Well, after two years of lower monthly bills being bundled with Mediacom, they raised our price to the point where it's no longer advantageous to pay less but get less in the form of unavailable channels (MLB Network, NHL Network, NBA TV, BeinSports), channels with excessive pixelation (NBC Sports Network), deplorable customer non-service and, especially, no Chicago Cubs! So we're dropping their phone service and regaining Vonage, keeping their internet, which is still the only practical broadband possibility in our Des Moines neighborhood, and going back to DirecTV. A local installer will set up our dish on a pole in our front yard, since we no longer have the inclination to climb up on our roof to clear it of snow and ice.

Is there anything I need to be aware of two years after we left and went away? What's changed? Thanks! I always appreciate the knowledge and the candor on this forum!

Hard to believe, but if you had a Genie before you left not much changed in the past 2 years. A few channels launched HD but even that isn't many. Fees went up a bit, packages went up.

If you got in with the all-in pricing you're in a better position than when you left.

Welcome back. Agreed that Mediacom is the absolute worst. I've never had their cable, but have always hated their internet. Glad CenturyLink fiber service was available when we moved back to the DSM area this summer.

Reactions: SpringerTigger
Hard to believe, but if you had a Genie before you left not much changed in the past 2 years. A few channels launched HD but even that isn't many. Fees went up a bit, packages went up.

If you got in with the all-in pricing you're in a better position than when you left.
Had HR-22s and whole-home when we left, so I'm looking forward to the Genie; sounds a lot like TiVo and mini setup we have now with Mediacom. We did get all-in pricing. Was nice to know that what they said we'd pay was what we'd pay, without added-on fees for additional TVs, HD and DVR charge, etc.

Welcome back. Agreed that Mediacom is the absolute worst. I've never had their cable, but have always hated their internet. Glad CenturyLink fiber service was available when we moved back to the DSM area this summer.
I had queried about CenturyLink some time ago on their website, so they must have taken down my address, because a rep came calling the other night with a Century Link/DirectTV bundle offer. in my neighborhood all I can get from CenturyLink is 12 mbps. I asked about when we would see fiber-optic and true broadband speed and I got an "it's coming." So is the Messiah. Sticking with Mediacom internet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)