Western Digital "My Book" possible sleeping fix?

budda

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Oconomowoc
I was looking for a fix. Because I don't like it. "Sleeping Hard Drive". I am hoping I found something here. For the WD "My Book". Or any WD hard drive really. You can download a tool from WD. To manage the hard drive. Files are not on the hard drive but instead works inside the enclosure circuit. You hook up the HD to say a laptop. Open the utility. Select settings and turn off sleep timer. You can also turn off the light/LED if you wish. Should know buy tomorrow if it works. If the sleep is controlled by the hopper. It won't work. If it's controlled by the enclosure circuit. Done deal!! Also I had first setup and formatted the HD on the Hopper 3 before I changed the settings. Don't think it makes a difference. Good luck

Sounds about right. A hinge only has so many bends. But keep in mind the hard drives in the hopper it self is spinning 24/7 as well. And those hard drives are nothing special. So it's a horse a piece. :) If I load up my external I can just unplug it. I do not go to that content as often as the stuff on the drive. If I am in for a marathon of viewing I would leave it powered up until done. If I forget so be it. Also I am planning to get a SSD HD and put in in the enclosure. Will wait for prices to come down a bit more. A 2 TB SSD with a USB 3.0 will be super fast and a pleasure to use. :)

Hardware RAID is the best bet today for an EHD. Ye$, it co$t$ more. But not unreasonable, especially if you have the HDDs laying around.

No Hopper USB 3 today, at least on my HWSes. Maybe next go round.

Hardware RAID is the best bet today for an EHD. Ye$, it co$t$ more. But not unreasonable, especially if you have the HDDs laying around.

No Hopper USB 3 today, at least on my HWSes. Maybe next go round.

Rear bottom USB port is 3.0. As I understand it. It is labeled as such and is a distinct blue. Do you still have a Hopper 2?

usb 3 pic.PNG

I had a similar problem with an old Seagate drive I bought back in the early EHD days. Same thing, downloaded a program to adjust the hard drive's parameters to disable the "Sleep Mode". Glad to hear this is available for WD devices as well and it fixed your issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)