WGN confusion

Don't forget: Lincoln Carpeting: "When , your thinkin Lincoln Lincoln, better carpeting for less call NAtional 29000, NAtional 29000"

Add Linn Burton the legendary TV pitchman For Polk Brothers, Bert Weinman Ford, Joe Rizza Chevrolet and Rogers & Holland Jewelers.

Ah, yes! Great memories. The Supers on Dish have local commercials from their native markets, watching commercials for Shop Rite's Can-Can sale on WWOR and WPIX brings back memories of the one sale my parents always loved to take advantage of.

How did my thread get hijacked and turned into a trip down WGN memory lane??

The important thing to understand here is that the entire country of Canada gets WGN-9 on Bell.

They all get to enjoy Chcago Blackhawk games, while on Dish there is no way to get WGN-9 unless you live in the Chi-town spot beam.

Can't say I understand the logic there.

Canada also enjoys HD superstations (WPIX, WSBK, KTLA, PEACHTREE) but you can't get HD superstations on Dish.

They also have no PVR fees... hmmmm.

I have never understood why they can't offer WGN(the local CW Version) in areas where Syndex is not envoked, why can you get WPIX and others on Dish but not get WGN CW, is that because it no longer has Superstation status?

I have never understood why they can't offer WGN(the local CW Version) in areas where Syndex is not envoked, why can you get WPIX and others on Dish but not get WGN CW, is that because it no longer has Superstation status?

Probably because Tribune wants WGN to continue to be carried on cable nationwide, and it would be pretty hard to get all cable companies to carry the local version because they don't want to deal with the headaches of blacking out shows subject to Syndex, hence why they give us WGN America instead.

WGN America is the Superstation...WGN9 is not
The others are still considered Superstations as defined by the FCC

WGN9 and WGN America other than the 2 hours at night and Blackhawk games are pretty much the same channel

How did my thread get hijacked and turned into a trip down WGN memory lane??

The important thing to understand here is that the entire country of Canada gets WGN-9 on Bell.

They all get to enjoy Chcago Blackhawk games, while on Dish there is no way to get WGN-9 unless you live in the Chi-town spot beam.

Can't say I understand the logic there.
The Blackhawks made that agreement with WGN that it would ONLY be on WGN9
As for the "logic" did you read my post above? The CRTC says they can carry WGN9 but NOT WGN America. Same with Peachtree TV....They could carry at the time WTBS (now WPCH) but not TBS

Canada also enjoys HD superstations (WPIX, WSBK, KTLA, PEACHTREE) but you can't get HD superstations on Dish.
Different rules....Same reason why Canada gets US Nets (with simsubs) yet we can't get CBC

Adding to memory lane....

Ray Rayner and His Friends, including Cuddly Duddley, and the Jewish kids show, The Magic Door. My Mom didn't like when I watched the Magic Door as she felt it was "dumming" down and taking away what we learned in Hebrew school. True. I'm sure by me watching The Magic Door I would not know how to read in Hebrew or speak yiddish...lol It was a fun show though. Anybody remember Tiny Tov, A Room Zoom Zoom and Boobie Beaver from The Magic Door?

How about the other long-running carpet cleaning commercial from Boushelle's.....in that very deep baritone-sounding voice....HUdson 32700. If you were in the suburbs, you could call "collect". That was back in the day when Illinois Bell basically charged for every call in the Chicagoland area no matter the distance from your home. Anyone remember those outrageously overpriced "Call Paks"? Your local phone bill was a small fortune in those days leading up to the breakup of the "old" AT&T in 1984.

Boushelle (Commercial, 1979) - YouTube

What I thought was annoying were the Long Chevrolet commercials with that little kid Timmy. I was glad when he got the pie in the face. Thise commercials made me run out and by a Chevrolet Chevette...not!
Long Chevrolet - "Extra, Extra!" (Commercial, 1978) - YouTube

Long Chevrolet - "Right In The Kisser" (Commercial, 1980) - YouTube

Long Chevrolet - "Timmy's All Grown Up" (Commercial, 1981) - YouTube

All these memories are making me hungry for pancakes from Golden Bear!

Last edited:
WGN9 and WGN America other than the 2 hours at night and Blackhawk games are pretty much the same channel

Hate to tell you this...but other than the noon & 9PM news, (WGN-9 has 11AM news, while WGN-A has "In the Heat of the Night" for that hour) & Cubs/White Sox games, they are VERY different!
(I have both, so I know this all too well)

Just go to zap2it.com, put in zip code 60601, then select DirecTV Chicago for your lineup & you'll immediately see just how different they are. ;)

(I tried to copy & paste the schedules, but it wouldn't paste properly)

I have never understood why they can't offer WGN(the local CW Version) in areas where Syndex is not envoked

Because Syndex does NOT just apply to CW Network prog...it applies to EVERY, SINGLE, syndicated show that WGN-Chicago shows in the Chicago DMA. As I mentioned above...that IS the reason why their 2 schedules are completely different - if you look at WGN-Chicago's daytime schedule alone...every syndicated show (Maury, Live w/Kelly, Racheal Ray, Bill Cunningham, Dr. Drew, etc.) would have to be blacked out in pretty much EVERY DMA in the US. (since obviously, all those shows are played on a local station in all but EVERY DMA as well) It would be a given that most, if not all of those local channels WOULD in fact, invoke Syndex on all those syndicated shows. Since NO cable co is going to go thru the hassle of that much blacking out - that's why the WGN-A feed exists.

why can you get WPIX and others on Dish but not get WGN CW, is that because it no longer has Superstation status?

Correct, WGN-Chicago NO longer has SS status, just like the WTBS-Atlanta feed (now renamed WPCH) lost SS status even before it changed call letters.
And, WGN-A & TBS (even before the local version was changed to WPCH) are considered basic cable channels, equivalent to a USA or TNT cable channel - & have NO SS status at all.

Last edited:
Hate to tell you this...but other than the noon & 9PM news, (WGN-9 has 11AM news, while WGN-A has "In the Heat of the Night" for that hour) & Cubs/White Sox games, they are VERY different!

ah crap you're right....I was thinking of when it was "Superstation WGN" and not WGN America

Just go to zap2it.com, put in zip code 60601, then select DirecTV Chicago for your lineup & you'll immediately see just how different they are. ;)

Because Syndex does NOT just apply to CW Network prog...it applies to EVERY, SINGLE, syndicated show that WGN-Chicago shows in the Chicago DMA. As I mentioned above...that IS the reason why their 2 schedules are completely different - if you look at WGN-Chicago's daytime schedule alone...every syndicated show (Maury, Live w/Kelly, Racheal Ray, Bill Cunningham, Dr. Drew, etc.) would have to be blacked out in pretty much EVERY DMA in the US. (since obviously, all those shows are played on a local station in all but EVERY DMA as well) It would be a given that most, if not all of those local channels WOULD in fact, invoke Syndex on all those syndicated shows. Since NO cable co is going to go thru the hassle of that much blacking out - that's why the WGN-A feed exists.

Correct, WGN-Chicago NO longer has SS status, just like the WTBS-Atlanta feed (now renamed WPCH) lost SS status even before it changed call letters.
And, WGN-A & TBS (even before the local version was changed to WPCH) are considered basic cable channels, equivalent to a USA or TNT cable channel - & have NO SS status at all.

That argument is a bit flawed since all the superstations that Dish provides air syndicated shows, but I get your general point that WGN 9 from Chicago no longer has SuperStation status

That argument is a bit flawed since all the superstations that Dish provides air syndicated shows,

Not really, as the syndex rules apply to ANY SS's, in ANY DMA, on DISH or otherwise...

The fact that DISH IS offering (the 5 remaining) SS's - with ALL of their programming that would NOT be in "syndex compliance" - does NOT change the facts that I already told you...

First of all there ARE, in fact, several DMA's where some local stations HAVE challenged DISH offering some/all of these SS's into their DMA's. Because of this, there are some DMA's, where DISH will not/can't offer some/all of the SS's in that respective DMA. They even built this into their local network address qualification page; if your address happens to fall in one of these DMA's, it will tell you ONLY the SS's that you can get. (ie: some or all of the 5 SS's will not appear to be available to you) Again, this is due to the fact it would be VERY burdensome for DISH to implement blackouts on individual shows, on individual stations, in individual DMA's - sorry, but DISH does NOT get a free pass on (not) complying with Syndex.

So they simply do NOT offer those said SS's accordingly - the (very) small monetary value they are losing in those instances, would NOT be made up with the onerous restrictions they would have to implement. They are fortunate that (obviously) NOT that many local stations have/are challenging this offering in their DMA(s); probably ONLY because a lot of station managers are not even aware that DISH still even offers them. (you DO notice that DISH really does NOT really even openly advertise the SS's these days - there IS a reason why) BUT, if local stations started challenging these SS's on a wide-scale basis - I GUARANTEE you DISH WILL end up dropping them in a heartbeat!

Again, with the facts (re: syndex) I've already explained - why DO you think that DISH IS the only MVP to even offer ANY SS's at all anymore? NO cable/telco/other MVP - or DirecTV for that matter - is going to go thru the whole blackout ritual, for an offering that VERY few people in reality even care about. ;)

Last edited:
That argument is a bit flawed since all the superstations that Dish provides air syndicated shows, but I get your general point that WGN 9 from Chicago no longer has SuperStation status

The superstations show CW (and MYNetwork) programming not just syndicated programming. For a true superstation the programming shown on DISH is identical to what is broadcasst OTA in their respecrive DMAAS. If DSIH receies a syndex request they are obligated to blackout the individual program but as a practical matter they simply do not sell that Superstation in a DMA where a blackout request has been received.

The only exception I know of is that when WSBK had Friday night red Sox games a few years back people outside of the Boston DMA saw alternative programming. this was even true on cable systems in NEw England.

Last edited:
I live here in the chi-town market. most of the bulls games are on comcast sports net (RSN), not wgn.

the playoff game today is on comcast sprts net along with the tbs or tnt national broadcast

A local station in each market would have to request syndex before it would be invoked. In most cases they do not and when it is requested it need only be invoked for specific shows. Having said that DISH has historically chosen to simply not sell the station syndex was invoked against in that market.

A local station in each market would have to request syndex before it would be invoked. In most cases they do not and when it is requested it need only be invoked for specific shows. Having said that DISH has historically chosen to simply not sell the station syndex was invoked against in that market.

Isn't that all what I (pretty much) said in my (next) post???

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-forum/282729-wgn-confusion-4.html#post2848115

OK, does this sound better w/the added bold wording:

where some local stations HAVE challenged DISH offering some/all of these SS's program(s) into their DMA's

Bottom line (again)

Again, this is due to the fact it would be VERY burdensome for DISH to implement blackouts on individual shows, on individual stations, in individual DMA's...

So they simply do NOT offer those said SS's accordingly

The superstations show CW (and MYNetwork) programming not just syndicated programming. For a true superstation the programming shown on DISH is identical to what is broadcasst OTA in their respecrive DMAAS. If DSIH receies a syndex request they are obligated to blackout the individual program but as a practical matter they simply do not sell that Superstation in a DMA where a blackout request has been received.

The only exception I know of is that when WSBK had Friday night red Sox games a few years back people outside of the Boston DMA saw alternative programming. this was even true on cable systems in NEw England.
/

I know that the superstation's show CW and MyNetwork programming, I had a thought that why can't they give back superstation status to WGN 9 and in areas where no syndex is invoked like where I live in Nashville,TN offer that like WWOR/WPIX/WSBK/KWGN/KTLA and otherwise you just get WGNA?

/

I know that the superstation's show CW and MyNetwork programming, I had a thought that why can't they give back superstation status to WGN 9 and in areas where no syndex is invoked like where I live in Nashville,TN offer that like WWOR/WPIX/WSBK/KWGN/KTLA and otherwise you just get WGNA?

Congress could reauthorize it but I don't see it happening. I don't even know that tribune that owns WGN is all that interested in it since most of the ads are local and advertisers would not be interested in paying more for an audience in scattered rural parts of the US. After all WGN voluntarily changed their programming to lose their superstation status.

Remebe to that Syndex might STILL be involved. it applies not just to CW programming but also to any syndicated programming they carry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)