WGN Prime Time changing

Tampa8

Supporting Founder - I'll stand up and say so
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
I haven't seen that this has been discussed, if it has someone can merge.....

Nexstar who owns WGN America (Ch 239) is changing prime time hours to all news Tuesday September 1st. "News Nation" will be on 8pm to 11pm ET (7-10 Central) everyday of the week. And again in the early Morning hours I think a rebroadcast.

They are using news gathered from all their affiliates and will have anchors reporting. It will be all news - meaning they will not be going for a slant to the different political spectrum.

I saw that they were going to have a news cast but I didn't think it was that long. That's when it's primetime for tv shows.

That's their intent an alternative to prime time shows, and they say an alternative to news now available. And actually in prime time the Cable News channels are more talk news than hard news. I give Nexstar credit for thinking outside the box at least.

This would be a good candidate for the Dish Headlines channel. It would maybe even give Dish a reason to keep the six-channel format during prime time, instead of the four-channel format they normally have during those hours now. :)

Reactions: Tampa8
That's their intent an alternative to prime time shows, and they say an alternative to news now available. And actually in prime time the Cable News channels are more talk news than hard news. I give Nexstar credit for thinking outside the box at least.
Outside of the box?....You mean report news like it use to be?
Its suppose to be news, not infotainment!

Outside of the box?....You mean report news like it use to be?
Its suppose to be news, not infotainment!

No not that. The move to have news in all of Prime Time instead of sitcoms etc....on other than an all news network. I'm guessing it's a first.

I can point fingers at Cable News for how they report actual news for sure, but they get their audiences from the opinion shows and one cable news network gets more viewers some nights than any other cable channel with their opinion shows lineup.

Reactions: satjay and AZ.
If you want to really see what's going on in Chicago try the below link. I was a CPD officer for 32 years. Retired in 2000. Other than the 1968 Democrat convention nothing was ever this bad.
www.heyjackass.com
The local press uses this site to get their numbers.

I haven't seen that this has been discussed, if it has someone can merge.....

Nexstar who owns WGN America (Ch 239) is changing prime time hours to all news Tuesday September 1st. "News Nation" will be on 8pm to 11pm ET (7-10 Central) everyday of the week. And again in the early Morning hours I think a rebroadcast.

They are using news gathered from all their affiliates and will have anchors reporting. It will be all news - meaning they will not be going for a slant to the different political spectrum.

Isn't that what HLN, when it was called Headline News, was supposed to be? Hasn't worked out too well for them.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Isn't that what HLN, when it was called Headline News, was supposed to be? Hasn't worked out too well for them.

No but I see the similarities. HLN was never a channel with sitcoms and that type of programming. They have done the opposite they started as a News Channel where WGN has always been an entertainment channel most often with syndicated programming and at one time Noon News. HLN it seems has morphed from alot of news and some science, prison, and crime shows to mostly all that without much news.

Isn't that what HLN, when it was called Headline News, was supposed to be? ...
From the description, I was thinking more like All News Channel. (Their tagline: "News from America's hometowns.")
There was also an attempt at a more local version here, ONN (Ohio News Network).
...Hasn't worked out too well for them.
At least HLN is still on the air. Both ANC and ONN have long since folded. :( Maybe as a prime time block, instead of trying to fill a 24-hour station with all news, Nexstar will succeed with their "News Nation" where others have failed.

Has anyone else came across NewsNet yet? Found it here on a low-power station while doing a channel scan and then realized I could get a much better picture with the Roku app

Has anyone else came across NewsNet yet? Found it here on a low-power station while doing a channel scan and then realized I could get a much better picture with the Roku app
I had not seen that one yet. It isn't OTA here but I see it is available on FireTV that I do have. Will have to check it out.

Well I guess they'll be pissing off a lot of Last Man Standing and Blue Blood fans even though they are reruns.

Well I guess they'll be pissing off a lot of Last Man Standing and Blue Blood fans even though they are reruns.

I would say their point would be most anything WGN America has been carrying can be seen on other networks and or will be. When they did away with their own scripted shows they overall show nothing different than I get on other channels including local one. With this change now they have something different. It's a gamble anytime you try something different.

I would say their point would be most anything WGN America has been carrying can be seen on other networks and or will be. When they did away with their own scripted shows they overall show nothing different than I get on other channels including local one. With this change now they have something different. It's a gamble anytime you try something different.
It reminds me of when NBC tried putting Jay Leno in the 10 PM Eastern time slot. That didn't last very long. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts