Whalt's the USB port for?

videonut

Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
Anyone know what the USB port on the back of the 522 receiver is for? I can find nothing in the manual that even mentions it.

Also... The remotes have PIP buttons, but don't seem to do anything for me, and again, there's no mention of them in my manual. My TV _does_ have PIP capability.

Question 1.

To make people search for the non existant function (No realy there is no function it doesnt even work)

Question 2.

In Single Mode (push the "Mode" button on the front panel) the Unit acts as 1 receiver and will allow "TV1" to use both tuners. 1 for PIP and one for main viewing.

A note:
A TV with PIP doesnt do much good with most sat receivers as you would need a sat tuner for each input on the TV. For instance a receiver would be required for the main tv watching tuner. then a second receiver would be required for the other input. The 522 is 2 receivers in 1 for the record so say you hook up TV1 as input one on the tv and tv2 as the input 2 on the tv. you would have to use both remotes but you could use the TV's pip feature then. but if yu were going to do it that involved i would recommend single mode or a 721. That was mostly a ramble and if it doesnt make sense ignore it.

At present, the USB port has no use at all. I've tried to hook a keyboard to it (as some have done with the 721), but no luck. It's been rumored that a future upgrade will enable you to upload MP3's to the receiver with a USB flash drive; but that won't be until after we finish beta-testing it. :eek:

522 PIP mode has nothing to do with your TV's PIP mode; 522 PIP is independent of TV PIP. You have to use one or the other:

522 PIP Mode: Switch your TV to "single mode" (read the sticky in this forum). Then you'll use the remote's PIP and Swap buttons. Tradeoff: If you have TV2 in another room, that TV won't work until you activate "shared view" (also in the sticky), and then TV1 and TV2 will get the exact same programming.

TV PIP Mode: Simply connect your TV's two inputs to TV1 and TV2. (If TV2 goes elsewhere, you can split the RF output *or* connect the PIP TV to the RCA jacks.) Then use your TV remote's PIP controls. Of course, the second picture will be whatever's on TV2.

RBBrittain said:
At present, the USB port has no use at all. I've tried to hook a keyboard to it (as some have done with the 721), but no luck. It's been rumored that a future upgrade will enable you to upload MP3's to the receiver with a USB flash drive; but that won't be until after we finish beta-testing it. :eek:

522 PIP mode has nothing to do with your TV's PIP mode; 522 PIP is independent of TV PIP. You have to use one or the other:

522 PIP Mode: Switch your TV to "single mode" (read the sticky in this forum). Then you'll use the remote's PIP and Swap buttons. Tradeoff: If you have TV2 in another room, that TV won't work until you activate "shared view" (also in the sticky), and then TV1 and TV2 will get the exact same programming.

TV PIP Mode: Simply connect your TV's two inputs to TV1 and TV2. (If TV2 goes elsewhere, you can split the RF output *or* connect the PIP TV to the RCA jacks.) Then use your TV remote's PIP controls. Of course, the second picture will be whatever's on TV2.

Great explanation... much clearer than mine... may I copy that for further use?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts