What a difference in reception

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
I live near Pittsburgh and usually receive approx. 40 channels OTA using an Antennas Direct DB8e UHF antenna. Some channels like channel 29 (QVC) , 31 (Bounce) and 59 (COZI, MOVIES!, Retro) were always weak and came in occasionally.

This past Tuesday I had two large trees removed from the front yard. Not only will I no longer need to rake leaves, clean the gutters, lay mulch, etc. I now receive over 50 channels and 99% have a 5 green bar signal strength including channels 29, 31 and 59 without adjusting or moving the antenna. I'm sure glad those trees are gone and now I can enjoy all the extra channels.

Attachments

• IMG_20161226_092410967_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20161226_092410967_HDR.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_20170104_163935930_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170104_163935930_HDR.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_20170104_163912013.jpg
    IMG_20170104_163912013.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 210
What's the antenna install height? I have a CM4228 roughly 7 feet high directly facing the side of the neighbour's house and my reception is on par w/ the rest of my OTA peers.

Am surprised the removal of 2 trees would result in a significant signal boost.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Worst thing for UHF reception are trees in line of sight with signals. Even worse when the leaves come out in the spring.

Kraven, imagine how much better your reception would be if the antenna was not facing the house?

Reactions: PopcornNMore
What's the antenna install height? I have a CM4228 roughly 7 feet high directly facing the side of the neighbour's house and my reception is on par w/ the rest of my OTA peers.

If the stations are from Mt. Mansfield then a set of rabbit ears would perform as well as the 4228! LOL.

A tree that is close to the antenna can make a big difference.

There's a cedar tree alongside of my house that moves in the wind and you can actually see the signal change up and down in time with the movement of the tree on channels in that direction.

Performed a channel rescan. This is not including the antenna I have aimed at Johnstown and another I'm going to add this Spring aimed at Youngstown.
57channels.jpg

Reactions: . Raine
Going from 40 channels to 57 is a great improvement!

I really got to get going and cut down all the trees around here that I've been putting off cutting for the past few years. There's four big ones close to the house and antenna, it'll be interesting to see if there's an improvement once they're gone.

I live near Pittsburgh and usually receive approx. 40 channels OTA using an Antennas Direct DB8e UHF antenna. Some channels like channel 29 (QVC) , 31 (Bounce) and 59 (COZI, MOVIES!, Retro) were always weak and came in occasionally.

This past Tuesday I had two large trees removed from the front yard. Not only will I no longer need to rake leaves, clean the gutters, lay mulch, etc. I now receive over 50 channels and 99% have a 5 green bar signal strength including channels 29, 31 and 59 without adjusting or moving the antenna. I'm sure glad those trees are gone and now I can enjoy all the extra channels.

Were those Ash tree's?

FYI: I just found the paperwork from the company that removed the trees. The two big trees were poplars and the third smaller tree was a maple.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)