What a hero!!!!!!!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
I cant believe we made a deal with this sleazeball. Anyone else feel like puking?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060307/us_nm/enron_trial_fastow_dc_3;_ylt=AltP29URcqbMLN388jr44bEkkKQB;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Ex-Enron CFO says believed he was "hero"
By Matt Daily 1 hour, 34 minutes ago

HOUSTON (Reuters) - Former Enron Corp. chief financial officer Andrew Fastow, the financial mastermind of the energy trader's most illicit deals, testified on Tuesday he believed he was a hero by helping the company inflate profits.
Fastow took the witness stand as the government's star witness in the trial of former CEOs Jeffrey Skilling and Ken Lay and wasted no time in linking the two men to the crimes that drove the once-seventh largest U.S. company to bankruptcy.
"I thought I was being a hero for Enron," Fastow calmly said in a steady voice. "At the time, I thought I was helping myself and helping Enron to make its numbers."
Fastow, 44, is the highest ranking executive to testify against Skilling and Lay, who together face more than three dozen charges of conspiracy, fraud and insider-trading linked to the then-largest ever U.S. bankruptcy in December 2001.
Enron's dramatic fall from Wall Street darling to corporate pariah was the first in a wave of scandals that rocked U.S. business and led to the adoption of stricter disclosure laws.
Fastow has pleaded guilty to two counts of conspiracy to commit fraud and will serve a 10-year sentence under an agreement with the government. His wife, Lea, served a one-year jail term for tax fraud that derived from his case.
He also agreed to forfeit nearly $28 million of the money he received at Enron.
Lay, 63, and Skilling, 52, have denied they took part in any crimes and have blamed Fastow for the company's implosion.
But Fastow said the pair approved the off-the-books partnerships he managed and were well aware they were used to hide billions of dollars of debt.
Fastow said a modestly sized $16 million partnership he initially created to help Enron manipulate its earnings was replicated on a much larger scale at Skilling's urging, and eventually raised $386 million from investors to buy Enron assets.
"He said to me 'Get as much of that juice as you can,"' Fastow testified. "The juice was the equity, but we were using the juice to increase earnings of Enron Corp. so we could report the numbers we wanted to report."
Those private equity funds, named LJM1 and LJM2, earned Fastow millions of dollars in fees and profits as they bought assets from Enron, providing the company with money it reported as earnings.
Lay, Skilling and Enron's board of directors agreed to waive conflict of interest issues in letting Fastow operate the partnerships even while he was serving as one of the company's highest officers because it facilitated business deals the company needed.
But the company did not publicly disclose Fastow's role in the partnerships, referring only vaguely to them in a footnote in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing.
"We were using them to inflate our earnings and I don't think we wanted to show people what we were doing," he said.

Last edited:
Total sleazeball, I agree with you Vurbano, but I'm not marking it on my calander since I agree with many times.

Total sleazeball, no hero, but its no surprise as these deals happen all the time to get the bigger fish. Luckily we all know this guy is no hero, and no one but he thinks otherwise; he is just trying to justify in his own head why he did what he did.

dragon002 said:
jamey,

better yet, hand him over to a mob of people that lost their savings because of him.

I cannot believe the deal they gave this guy. 10 years? he will serve 3.5 maybe. There wasnt enough evidence without him? Give me a FKN break theyve already made the movie!!! As CFO he has the MOST fiduciary responsibility to the stock holders and is the most at fault here. He had a duty not to let this kind of thing happen here yet he was the mastermind behind it! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
vurbano said:
I cannot believe the deal they gave this guy. 10 years? he will serve 3.5 maybe. There wasnt enough evidence without him? Give me a FKN break theyve already made the movie!!! As CFO he has the MOST fiduciary responsibility to the stock holders and is the most at fault here. He had a duty not to let this kind of thing happen here yet he was the mastermind behind it! :rolleyes:

affraid you'r right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)