what a night!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

spacebug42

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
Woodland, CA
After my posting last night about finally getting locked in on the satellite belt, I stayed up til 2 this morning doing a power scan on all of the FTA satellites. Unfortunately, there were a few satellites I could not pick up the transponders for (including the RTN national feed sat). I know it's not the satellites (or it might), but the mounting location for the dish limited what sats I could pick up. My next door neighbor has trees in the way of the line-of-sight of everything below 87 degrees. Galaxy 28 (87 degrees) was coming in quite choppy with several disruptions to the reception, but everything else beyond 87 was coming in clear. I did see active transponders on G27 (White Springs) during the power scan, but the channel scan showed nothing. I suspect that perhaps White Springs had weather problems. Can anybody tell me if that was the case? I'll try scanning G27 again tonight and see if it comes back. In the meantime, I'm going through my saved channel list and deleting all of the locked/scrambled channels.

I am out of steam today to finish the wiring between the dish and the switch and will work on it tomorrow (it's a little warm here in Woodland today and I was getting a little dehydrated while working). In the meantime, I am deleting the locked/scrambled channels and renaming some of the channels to be easier to recognize (i.e. the local TV channels on G18 and what network they're affiliated with).

Sounds like you have been poisoned by the fta bug:D I'm glad you got the signals coming in, you worked for it. I just went over to White Springs and it is coming in fine. Congrats on your success!

Your hooked now and there is no turning back! I remember when I got my first satellite locked in and scanned and the feeling of knowing that I set that up myself! Nothing like the feeling. I have not went to bed before the whole Clarke Belt Arc was scanned in before and bet there are other members here as well that can relate! This is a sickness for there is no cure for and once your bitten, there is no way back! :)

Great to hear about those first signals spacebug42! Keep on scanning the rest of them, and :welcome To the satellite Guys!

Like the Marine Corps, now everyone in FTA is your Brother, and will be for life! :haha

You are at home here for sure!!

You just may not be tracking the Arc well enough.
Park the Dish on Galaxy 28 @ 89west, pick a choppy channel, then at the Dish, put pressure on the rim - Up and Down, see if Quality improves.

after you follow Lak7's suggestion above:

The Whitesprings won't blind scan on some receivers, due to the low symbol rate.
Try manually inputting the info, and see if you get it.

White Springs is there

I did another blind scan the other night and White Springs did pop up into the channel list. Interestingly, the volume level from White Springs is louder than the rest of the stations. I did find several stations where there is video, but no audio. I will have to find them and change the settings so that I get audio.

By the way, there are a couple of satellites with choppy signals, but it's because the signals are on the lower Western range (87 and below) and my neighbor's trees are in its path.

Stations with no sound on your rec prob are ones with AC-3 (Dolby) sound. You'll need to connect your "optical" output on the rec, to a home theater amp with an input (an amp that does decode Dolby audio). Some receivers will have both optical or SPDIF connection and coaxial. You don't mention which receiver, but you can look on the back panel of your box for the jack. Most standard def rec will not decode the dolby audio, but pass it thru that output for an external decoder.

my receiver

My FTA receiver is a Fortec Star Dynamic. It does have an SP/IF output and I tried to set it up that way at first, but for some reason I was not getting any audio through my home theater receiver/amp. For now, I'm sticking with the RCA audio jacks until I can figure out why the two receivers are not connecting to the right source. I got the home theater receiver less than two months ago and I still have to learn how to configure it for optimum sound as well as connecting to the right source.

Great receiver for "doin the dolby". Once you figure out your home theater you should get sound out of those AC3 channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)