What about D*?

HDwonderer

Forced ex-VOOMer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 8, 2005
Upstate NY
What about D*. Once all this dust settles after Rainbow 1 transfers hands and the VOOM marketing/sales reps have had time to talk to the cable and D* people we know that some others will carry the V* channels. Now correct me if I am wrong but isn't D*'s service a better PQ? Or for that matter will not the PQ on the fiber of cable be better then E* at least for the short term. Don't miss understand me. I have taken all I can from my cable monopoly but if those of us don't like the E*deal why not wait? I went cable on the 28th so I could go month to month and switch once things calm down. And yes I MISS V* programing.

Any ideas?

-scott

Rumors are that D* deal will be done. As for PQ, D* compresses their current HD to 1280x1024 which really frags some people off. I went with D* after Voom because I long for Sunday Ticket in HD ;)

I am writing an article in comparing the PQ of D* vs E*. The article will be published in the PUB area. Do not believe that PQ is better on D*. If you want to find out the rumors on D* and VOOM21 carriage visit the D* HDTV forum.

negreenfield said:
Cable and Voom channels? Any news on those?
I did ask the CSR at the time I setup install a few weeks ago and was told that there are talks about it between TW and Cablevision. But he also told me that they need to settle the concerns between them over A&E and MSG first. But knowing TW and how they now charge $4.95 additional for ESPNHD over the $9.95 HD pak I could see them charge 21.00 for the voom 21. Reason.....because they are TW and have exclusivity agreements with the towns where I live.

I did read that someone in the D* HDTV fourm said that United Cable may have a deal.

-scott

Two weeks ago I had the HD Direct TIVO and the Dish 942 setu up side by side.

Dish HD looks better.

It got that WOW fact from family members when I showed them both.

The Direct TV HD seemed not as detailed.

Is this becuase the do 1280x1024?

Having switched to D* and after watching a couple of NBA playoff games on ESPNHD, it seems to me that possibly the picture isn't quite as sharp and or vibrant as Voom was. However, it does seem to pixellate a fair amount less than Voom did when there is a lot of fast movement on the screen. Is that possible or am I just imagining things?

I agree Direct TV did Pizellate less, I think its because of the 1280 lower res, as there is less chance for missed error correction as its not full HD like VOOM.

Well according to Sean in another thread and a few others, VOOM wasn't doing full HD either but between D* and full. I can't remember the numbers.

Also I would jump a the chance of getting the Verizon TV but it is unlikely to happen in my area for maybe 10 years and we are a Verizon area. Our current cable only offers 3 HD channels and none of the networks are available OTA or othrewise in HD. So Dish was an alternative... To bad about VOOM, it was the best alternative of all.

It sounded like Voom had been sending no more than 1440 for a while, and was also using different encoders near the end to compress their signal, resulting in more motion artifacts and overall softness.

It had to be more than downrezzing affecting Voom's signal near the end, because ESPN (at 1280x720, of course) looked much sharper via Comcast here, and I don't think anybody ever suggested Voom was sending fewer pixels than that. The dynamic encoders needed to compress aggressively, and PQ suffered.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts