What advantage is there to networking a 722?

kvnfl

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
SWFL
I've searched the forums and Dish's web site trying to discover what perks are offered by connecting the 722 to the internet and come up nearly blank. I know that there 1080p programming can be downloaded, most cost money. PPV can be ordered via the internet, but that can also be achieved via a phone line. I never watch PPV, if it is worth paying money for I buy the Blu-ray/DVD, so that is no benefit. Please, help me decide, is it worth going through the hassle of connecting the 722 to a home network.

I would say the sling online programming maybe. With all of the devices looking for Ethernet nowadays, I just ran a line to each entertainment area and put in a workgroup hub. It seems like everything has an Ethernet port now for either online capabilities or firmware updates.

If you don't have a phone line there to hook up to, you could have the box "phone home" over the internet, and avoid the fee.

You'll be able to program your ViP series DVR over the internet if it's hooked up. Not a biggie for some, but I'll bet the convenience will appeal to more and more people over time.

The beta version of the online guide is available NOW. I enjoy it. It has much better search features than your remote does. And you can set a recording from your computer.

Programming from the PC with better search functions is a very good reason to network. Right now I use TiVo as TV Guide, write down all programs to set the 722 to record. It is time consuming. Eliminating the two step recording process makes it worthwhile.

Thanks all.

Agree. Better features, easier to use, than remote menu. Another link discusses delay in activating the online system - I just signed up and was immediately activated.

John W

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts