What am I doing wrong?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tvfan

Original poster
Jul 22, 2004
Please help me. I'm using invitro2's instructions in another post to find true south satellite. I have a dish motor so I need the true south satellite. Another thread on that post uses a zip in NE Pennsylvania zip 18447. I am also in Ne Pa at zip 18655. Using invitro's instructions I don't get what zip 18447 does.

Where am I going wrong? Maybe in calculationg the mag dec? I'm not sure how to get that. The way I'm doing it in invitro's example is taking 15.32 and changing the .32 to .5 . Is there a mathematical way to get 15.5 other than subsitution .5 for the .32?

Can someone verify my calculations or show me where I need to make a correction using my zip of 18655?

My figures:
Lat 41.176674N

Long 76.167096 W

Mag Dec 12.8W with 0.1 per year so true mag dec is 12.7W

True south sat: since my long is 76 and SBS is 74 and AMC5 is 79, I'd be closer to SBS6 and use that as my true south sat. Is that correct?

Az. is 176.707997 and el. is 42.3908

My true compass setting would be 176.70 + 12.7 = 189.40 so about 189.

I'd set the dish to zero as it sets on the motor mount. Then use the motor to set the dish elevation to 42.39 and compass heading of 245.80.

How close am I to being right? Where did I go wrong?

I appreciate any help at all. I've had a FTA receiver since July and still no channels! It's getting cold here in the NE and I want to get the dish set before it's too cold to work outside.

If its a SG2100 motor then the motor elevation should be 49 deg. then the dish elevation would be 24 deg. Everything else looks good! Checked you lat+long to your zip so thats fine!

If its a SG2100 motor then the motor elevation should be 49 deg. then the dish elevation would be 24 deg. Everything else looks good! Checked you lat+long to your zip so thats fine!
It is a SG2100 HH motor. Would you mind answering another question? How do you get dish elev of 24 and motor elev of 49? I'd like to be able to this stuff myself and I can only do it if I understand how you arrived at those numbers. Hopefully someday I'll be able to help others like myself who are new to FTA.

I appreciate your help and hope you understand why I'm asking for the details of thses settings.

I cheat I read the manual : ) The angle table is on the back page or page 7 in the new manuals.

One side of the motor mount is marked for elevation the other is latitude, just set it to your latitude if in doubt, the formula for the dish elevation is....

30 deg.- Declination Angle

Aargh! I knew that page was there but never connected it to this discussion DUH! That's just like me, trying to make something harder than it really is. Thanks for using common sense to get me the answer and thanks so much your your help.

I'm new to this site but it sure seems like a nice place to hang my hat!

You are welcome we have a nice bunch here, but watch out for one guy called Iceberg : )

Please keep us informed on how you are getting on and feel free to chip in and help others thats what its all about, every day I learn something new.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)