What antenna to use?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DetFan

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2006
Livonia, Michigan
Few questions about FTA, I have the VIP 622, what sort of antenna can I use to gey local HD channels I would love to cancel this HD package.and can i Still record to the DVR with it?

Few questions about FTA, I have the VIP 622, what sort of antenna can I use to gey local HD channels I would love to cancel this HD package.and can i Still record to the DVR with it?

first off you need to determine what in the way of OTA you actually have in your area. Pay a visit to www.antennaweb.org and follow the guide. Then you'll be able to narrow down the type/s of antenna/s you may need.

FTA and OTA are two separate entities. FTA = Free To Air and the 622 doesn't view these channels. OTA = Over The Air and are your local channels, the digital/HD versions of which can be incorporated into the 622 (there is no tuner for analog channels in the 622). The guide would be there, but if you do not subscribe to the local package there is no guide data. They can still be recorded by using manual timers. As Jimmy J. said, you should determine what antenna you will need.

FTA and OTA are two separate entities. FTA = Free To Air and the 622 doesn't view these channels. OTA = Over The Air and are your local channels, the digital/HD versions of which can be incorporated into the 622 (there is no tuner for analog channels in the 622). The guide would be there, but if you do not subscribe to the local package there is no guide data. They can still be recorded by using manual timers. As Jimmy J. said, you should determine what antenna you will need.

YEa I meant OTA, I dont get all that FTA stuff..
So this is what I came up with after going to the site..I have no idea what any of it means. MAybe you could point me in the right direction.Also are you saying if I don't subscribe to locals I wont get the guide? I dont mind having to manually record there are only a few shows on that DVR anyway that I Record..

So what type of antenna should I get, Im a bit lost on that part.

THis is what I got.

yellow - uhf WTVS-DT 56.1 PBS DETROIT MI 45° 11.6 43
* yellow - uhf WWJ-DT 62.1 CBS DETROIT MI 45° 11.6 44
* yellow - uhf WXYZ-DT 7.1 ABC DETROIT MI 24° 11.1 41
* yellow - uhf WDIV-DT 4.1 NBC DETROIT MI 32° 12.7 45
* yellow - uhf WMYD-DT 20.1 MNT DETROIT MI 45° 11.6 21
* yellow - uhf WJBK-DT 2.1 FOX DETROIT MI 34° 11.2 58
* green - uhf WKBD-DT 50.1 CW DETROIT MI 7° 11.5 14
red - uhf W33BY 33 IND DEARBORN MI 48° 5.6 33
red - uhf WWJ 62 CBS DETROIT MI 45° 11.6 62
red - uhf WUDT-CA 23 UNI DETROIT MI 45° 11.6 23
red - uhf W66BV 66 TBN DETROIT MI 93° 14.0 66
red - vhf WDIV 4 NBC DETROIT MI 32° 12.7 4
red - uhf WTVS 56 PBS DETROIT MI 7° 11.5 56
red - uhf WDWO-CA 18 IND DETROIT MI 47° 5.5 18
red - vhf WJBK 2 FOX DETROIT MI 34° 11.2 2
red - uhf WKBD 50 CW DETROIT MI 7° 11.5 50
red - uhf WMYD 20 MNT DETROIT MI 45° 11.6 20
red - uhf WADL 38 IND MOUNT CLEMENS MI 59° 27.2 38
* red - uhf WADL-DT 39.1 IND MOUNT CLEMENS MI 59° 27.2 39
red - vhf WXYZ 7 ABC DETROIT MI 24° 11.1 7
red - uhf WPXD 31 ION ANN ARBOR MI 283° 38.8 31
* blue - uhf WPXD-DT 31.1 ION ANN ARBOR MI 283° 38.8 33
blue - vhf WTOL 11 CBS TOLEDO OH 191° 44.6 11
blue - vhf WTVG 13 ABC TOLEDO OH 193° 44.1 13
blue - uhf WUPW 36 FOX TOLEDO OH 195° 46.1 36
blue - uhf WNWO 24 NBC TOLEDO OH 189° 44.9 24
blue - uhf WGTE 30 PBS TOLEDO OH 194° 46.0 30
blue - uhf W48AV 48 ION DETROIT MI 72° 24.5 48
blue - uhf W27CJ 27 IND ANN ARBOR MI 270° 22.1 27
blue - uhf WFUM 28 PBS FLINT MI 356° 40.9 28
violet - uhf WEYI 25 NBC SAGINAW MI 348° 65.5 25
violet - vhf WNEM 5 CBS BAY CITY MI 348° 84.0 5
* violet - uhf WUPW-DT 36.1 FOX TOLEDO OH 195° 46.1 46
violet - vhf WKYC 3 NBC CLEVELAND OH 134° 105.4 3
violet - vhf WLNS 6 CBS LANSING MI 302° 59.9 6
violet - vhf WILX 10 NBC ONONDAGA MI 285° 64.8 10
Note:

Well DetFan, it depends on how many of them channels you want to get? From the bearing/dist number provided your probably near Garden City. If you just want the Detroit digitals (HD) then something like this will work good. http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=03&CAT=&PROD=SCM4221A. Put it a couple feet above the roof and aim it at Southfield, Royal Oak and your done. No preamp or rotor required. Even a good indoor uhf might work, http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=03&CAT=&PROD=ZHDTV1. Do you ever watch hockey night in Canada?? Want the Toledo HD's?? I see a Cleveland station on there but you can forget that.

I have done or helped with several HD installs for OTA, the Zenith silver sensor works good in the attic for stations within 35 miles. Also the radio shack Model: DA-5200 worked just about as well. For further than that the channel masters are good. For the 35 mile distance, try the cheaper options above first, the Silver Sensor is about $30 and the radio Shack about $50. The smaller antennas out perform several of the larger ones, the key is to get it in the attic or above the roof. Some of the best Picture quality HD can be obtained OTA.

Well DetFan, it depends on how many of them channels you want to get? From the bearing/dist number provided your probably near Garden City. If you just want the Detroit digitals (HD) then something like this will work good. http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=03&CAT=&PROD=SCM4221A. Put it a couple feet above the roof and aim it at Southfield, Royal Oak and your done. No preamp or rotor required. Even a good indoor uhf might work, http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=03&CAT=&PROD=ZHDTV1. Do you ever watch hockey night in Canada?? Want the Toledo HD's?? I see a Cleveland station on there but you can forget that.

LOL I am exactly in Garden City..Thanks, Ill see what I can do.I'm not a roof kinda guy, but I may just become one..:)

If your attic is big enough the cm4221 might fit up there. Would keep you off the roof. These are inexpensive and work good at uhf. I'm located a little south of Ypsi and use on of these, http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=5MS9000IR. It's about 20ft up, just above the roof and even pulls in Toledo. But the elevation here is almost 100ft higher than G.C. Smaller antennas will work but it takes a clear shoot at the transmitter.

Ok I bought this, and Ill try it indoors first, if not Ill go up on the roof, and put it up there.

Thanks for the help. Did you know if I can use this with my VIP 622?

Yes, OTA is used by the 622. It gives you a separate tuner for the dvr, but you can only record one OTA channel at a time. Once the line is hooked up, you have to go to the 'Local Channels' screen and scan them in. The channels will show on your guide, you will get guide info if you subscribe to the local package through Dish. If you do not subscribe, you can still record using manual timers.

If you don't get results right off, move it one way or another a few inches, digital, that can make alot of difference.

Ah forgot to ask..
With this one work indoors or do i have to run it from ontop of hte house?
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=03&CAT=&PROD=ZHDTV1, All im looking for is getting my main Locals in HD..
And Can I run this through my VIP 622?

Yes this should work good for digital locals. May have to move it around a bit or try it in your attic. It's not made for outdoor use. One thing to consider for the future, ch 2 fox may end up on DT channel 7 after 2009. This antenna may not pick it up very well. The other posts have answered your question about the 622. If you don't subcribe to sat locals, which you don't need to do, the guide info for the locals won't be there.

I'm located near Ann Arbor and the Wineguard Square Shooter works great for me. It's available from www.solidsignal.com. Mine is on my roof but since you are closer to the transmitters it would probably work in the attic also. The antenna is about 18" square and resembles a dish. It has about a 60 deg. receiving arc.

If you have stations that are close, I would stay away from anything with an amp, the 211's and 622 start having multi-path issues. After having said that the radio shack antenna worked good above, it worked great on the TV tuner, but sucked on the Dish tuner with a close local, multi-path issues immediately. The only antenna I have been able to get to work reliably is the Zenith Silver Sensor, all my stations are within 35 miles. I have had no luck with any amplified antenna.

If you have stations that are close, I would stay away from anything with an amp, the 211's and 622 start having multi-path issues. After having said that the radio shack antenna worked good above, it worked great on the TV tuner, but sucked on the Dish tuner with a close local, multi-path issues immediately. The only antenna I have been able to get to work reliably is the Zenith Silver Sensor, all my stations are within 35 miles. I have had no luck with any amplified antenna.

What sprintcarcrazy says is true about amps,
I could never understand why anyone would get an antenna because how it looks The winegard SS sells for $90+ and has 4.5 db gain the 4400 is under $30 and has 9 db gain.
Why spend $60 more for 1/2 the gain just for how it looks.:confused:
A good amp can not make up for a poor ant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts