What Apps ask for a TV provider and Why ?

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
I know some apps ask for a TV Provider when you sign up ... some don't.

I use maybe 5-6 different apps that I have Subs with .... IF I were to go Streaming entirely, when an app asks for your TV provider, I normally say D* and I'm good.
How do you get that App if you no longer have a TV provider ?

I know some apps ask for a TV Provider when you sign up ... some don't.

I use maybe 5-6 different apps that I have Subs with .... IF I were to go Streaming entirely, when an app asks for your TV provider, I normally say D* and I'm good.
How do you get that App if you no longer have a TV provider ?
First, those TV Everywhere Apps, the ones that need a provider log in, are going away, Fox Network has already shut theirs off, Paramount is doing the same, Disney will soon announce also, for example, WATCH ESPN will be shut down when ESPN goes streaming early next year ( they are trying real hard for the end of this year, I am doubtful).

Second, the majority of content from Paid Live TV, the same stuff as on the TV Everywhere apps, are on the paid streaming services, so they would rather you pay then getting it for free.

Third, depends on what you mean by going streaming, if you go to a service like YTTV, you would still have a provider‘s log in, so you would have access as long as they still are available.

If you go streaming services only, like Paramount+, Peacock, etc, then you would not have access, but again, the content is on those services anyways.

If you really are thinking about going streaming only, I would recommend going slow, first to YTTV, then after awhile, the streaming services only.

How I did it, first to PS Vue in 2018, then to YTTV , now in early 2024, just the streaming services.

First, those TV Everywhere Apps, the ones that need a provider log in, are going away, Fox Network has already shut theirs off, Paramount is doing the same, Disney will soon announce also, for example, WATCH ESPN will be shut down when ESPN goes streaming early next year ( they are trying real hard for the end of this year, I am doubtful).

Second, the majority of content from Paid Live TV, the same stuff as on the TV Everywhere apps, are on the paid streaming services, so they would rather you pay then getting it for free.

Third, depends on what you mean by going streaming, if you go to a service like YTTV, you would still have a provider‘s log in, so you would have access as long as they still are available.

If you go streaming services only, like Paramount+, Peacock, etc, then you would not have access, but again, the content is on those services anyways.

If you really are thinking about going streaming only, I would recommend going slow, first to YTTV, then after awhile, the streaming services only.

How I did it, first to PS Vue in 2018, then to YTTV , now in early 2024, just the streaming services.
Depending on what you want. I have Sling after having Dish for nearly 25 years. I have Sling Blue and the adds on for only $61 a month. Being an old movie buff I have both FXM & TCM. After paying about $100 or more a month from Dish for years, this is better and we get locals OTA.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I have also found with the "TV Everywhere mode", a regular app hosts both TV and app content. ESPN is a great example. There's a ton of ESPN+ content, but if you want to see and watch what's on ESPN live right now via the app, you need your TV creds to unlock that.

• Sad
Reactions: Jimbo