what are everyone's opinions of the r15?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mikedz4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
Ok here are mine:

1: should have stayed with tivo
2: some nice features:
interactive tv
that's it!!!!

3: where's this on-demand stuff at? the shows from nbc, I believe? Also where are my showcases?

4: what's up with all these limits? It deletes all viewed shows (how stupid)? It won't let you record free previews (again how stupid)?

all in all I think directv needs to recall all these units, give us our money back and ship us free tivos with the new features. Drop the idea of going it alone directv, face it, you screwed up now lets go back to tivo and add the interactive features and new features you are going forward with the directv dvr.

What do you mean it deletes all viewed shows? Limits? This is my first DVR and so far I like it..... I really like the pause live tv.....

The R15 is as good as my DTiVos, not as good as the older UTV.

Last edited:
I REALLY miss the 30 second skip feature on the D* Tivo's, I doubt we'll ever see it come back (why would FOX want you skipping commercials).

I really like mine. I think that the biggest thing I miss is the live buffer of both tuners, otherwise I think it is pretty good DVR. I have only had one lock up and that was 2 weeks ago.

I just wrote an email to Direct telling them what a failure this R15 seems to be. It seems with Direct anymore it's all about the money. All the new receivers (D10 & R15) are a big step backwards in the ones they replace. Yet they make approx. $3 million per MONTH by increasing the DVR just one dollar. Geez for that kind of money make a real DVR! Get on your knees & beg Tivo to change your Pampers & make you a real DVR.

STOP! Hold the phone!

Did someone say it deleted a show after you watched it? That right there is a show stopper. Period, end of discussion.

>I think that the biggest thing I miss is the live buffer of both tuners,

And you don't have a buffer on each tuner?!?!?

Forget $99 with $100 rebate, if these things are true, they'd have to have a $1000 rebate to get me to order. What's the point of a DVR if it automatally deletes things?

Tell me this is a typo.

All I can say is that mine has never deleted a show unless I told it to. The dual buffer is in the works for a software upgrade so it will be coming.

I am happy with it. I rarely used the two tuner live buffer feature so needless to say, I don't miss it. So far, my only gripe with it compared to the D* Tivo, is that the local channels don't have (repeat) listed in the show description if a particular episode is a re-run. Because of that the "season pass" does not know if a show is a repeat or not. If you have the season pass set up to record only "first run" episodes, with out the (repeat) in the description it records it as if it was new.

Also the caller ID which others have moaned about. Other than that, it was free, and it holds over three times the amount as the D* Tivo I had. And I was able to get $60.00 out of my old D* Tivo on ebay! So really I got paid $60.00 to upgrade!:)

This is my first dvr, so if they would just fix the caller id, I would be a happy camper.

I got the R15 about a week ago, and I've been happy with it. Of course, this is my first DVR, so I have nothing to compare it to. I've talked about a few minor issues, but they're just that...minor...at least to me.

I've found that with the series link, the first time I tried setting up a link, it was Nip/Tuck, I think...and I set it up for first run only. However, it was recording anytime it came up. Same thing happened with Aqua Teen Hunger Force. So, I deleted the Nip/Tuck series link and set it up again...the second time, it worked and is only recording first runs...however, it didn't work that way for ATHF, still recording everytime it comes on.

The only other thing I've noticed is an occasional delay (longer than normal) when going to a previous channel from one of the NFL Sunday Ticket channels. A little annoying, especially if you're switching between the end of games, but still, pretty minor.

It's never deleted any of the shows I've watched unless I've told it to.

If you owned a TiVo you probably won't like it. If you are new to DVRs you won't find much wrong. The R15 has a lot of potential if they get it debugged. For now I will service my customers by continuing to sell R10 TiVos until inventory is exhausted.

rad said:
I REALLY miss the 30 second skip feature on the D* Tivo's, I doubt we'll ever see it come back (why would FOX want you skipping commercials).
Totally agree. Hate having to use the FF to get go over commercials.

joedekock said:
and it holds over three times the amount as the D* Tivo I had.
Then you were not using your TiVo to its capacity.:D

By contrast, every Tivo I have can record at least twice as much SD as an R15.

eddieic said:
I got the R15 about a week ago, and I've been happy with it. Of course, this is my first DVR, so I have nothing to compare it to.
That is exactly what D* was shooting for. It is better than most cable DVR's and given that most D* subs don't have a DVR, then once they get one it will be better than what they had.

Means us TiVo lovers are screwed.:(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts