what are my options with 510?

slug420

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2004
hi guys, brand new here and not even new yet to DVR

I am moving and just signed up for dish network and bought the 510 dvr. It wont be installed for another week but im already anxious to figure out what its capable of.

I come from the world of IT and had been building a dvr with a ATI AIW9800 pro, but i dont really have the time right now to get that up and running so I just gave in and bought the DVR. I mention this because coming from the IT mindset of building my own that kind of gives you an idea of what I am curious about.

Things like can you add more HDs? Replace the HD? Put the HD in a PC and mount it to extract video? is there a cat5 port or anything?

I am of course cranky that I have to pay dish network for it....i dont know what it is they are doing for me for 5 bucks a month...so what ARE they doing? What do they keep tabs on/restrict and what benefits do they provide?

Sorry if this is a typical noob post but......well im a typical noob

thanks for the help!

Welcome Slug,

You cannot easily upgrade the HD in any Dish DVR. It can be done but most people do not want to take the risk. It will also void your warranty to crack the case.

No cat5 port.

You are paying $5 for the privilege of using the Dish DVR;) You can get rid of the fee if you subscribe to the Everything pack. TIVO tracks and reports what you watch, Dish does not.

You can do a search on upgrading the hd here and also at DBSTalk.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)