What are the differences

Tyralak

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
Secure, Undisclosed Location
I'm a bit new to the whole HD-DVD vs Blue Ray discussion. I haven't follwed it because I refuse to buy anything until a format is decided upon. However, I'd like to know if anyone can tell me what the main differences are between the two formats? I had a knee-jerk reaction to support Blu-Ray, because of it's larger storage capacity, but I've been hearing some good things about HD-DVD lately.

To make it as format neutral as possible:

What HD/BD have the same:
- physical size of the disk
- using blue laser
- AACS
- same video formats
- some of the audio formats

What they have different:
- thickness of the disk protection layer (0.6mm vs. 0.1 mm)
- OPU (optical pickup unit)
- amount of storage (30GB vs. 50GB, dual layer)
- mandatory audio codecs
- BD+ is only on Blu-ray (and only FOX titles so far)
- interactivity system (HDi vs. BD-J)
- companies supporting them

Diogen.

Diogen, You left out a few differances:

-One offers PCM while the other offers DD+.
-One has a higher bandwith output of both video and audio.
-One has internet access as a requirement while the other has it as an option not available yet.
-One offers a combo disc with HD on one side and regular DVD on the other

Diogen, You left out a few differances:

-One offers PCM while the other offers DD+.

Both formats do PCM. It's found more prevalent on Blu. However, HD-DVD can handle PCM if the content provider chooses to use it.

Both formats are more similar than they are different. Both support the same audio and video codecs. None support deep color.

Blu-Ray has region coding, but most studios actually don't use it. HD-DVD currently does not have region coding.

I should have mentioned max bandwidth difference and region coding.
The rest is a play between mandatory and optional.

Diogen.

It's like Ford vs. Chevy, Starbucks vs Peabody, etc. Slight variations on the same basic thing. Differences of no great consequence, except to dedicated fans.

In order to fit into this forum, you must randomly flip a coin and jump on one format or the other. Then, become a rabid activist and fight to the death over the most minute distinctions that make no significant functional difference. :(

Well, kinda. For an uneducated user, the difference between red and blue, is entry price and movie selection. For the enthusiast the above points in the posts above become deciding factors, but for 'mass market' most will stop at just these two to make a decision.

Ford/Chevy are both brands that can drive the same roads, provide similar experiences. With exclusive studios that isn't a valid analogy here unless all the studios go neutral and then let the consumer enjoy the benefits of CE companies competing on even ground.

I am pro blu ray storage but own both for the movies.

If you own a BD and use Netflix, youll have more new releases in HD(my veiwing habits anyways) than if you only owned the HDDVD and rented.

Honestly speaking, both are great and its the best route. If you plan on a bd player I highly recommend the PS3. Great media streaming, internet browser, you can easily load mp3's on to the hard drive if you dont have a wireless network and it has very good sd/hd PQ.

I'm a bit new to the whole HD-DVD vs Blue Ray discussion. I haven't follwed it because I refuse to buy anything until a format is decided upon. However, I'd like to know if anyone can tell me what the main differences are between the two formats? I had a knee-jerk reaction to support Blu-Ray, because of it's larger storage capacity, but I've been hearing some good things about HD-DVD lately.
The main diference is that all HD DVD players will play all discs with all features. If You buy a BD player you may be buying a second one because most do not meet the specs. Most BD players are an incomplete product and buying them is a risk.

It's like Ford vs. Chevy, Starbucks vs Peabody, etc. Slight variations on the same basic thing. Differences of no great consequence, except to dedicated fans.

In order to fit into this forum, you must randomly flip a coin and jump on one format or the other. Then, become a rabid activist and fight to the death over the most minute distinctions that make no significant functional difference. :(

IMHO, best answer ^^^^^^
:cool:

I disagree. I think having a spec and actually meeting it with your players makes a huge difference in functionality.

The main diference is that all HD DVD players will play all discs with all features. If You buy a BD player you may be buying a second one because most do not meet the specs. Most BD players are an incomplete product and buying them is a risk.

I disagree. I think having a spec and actually meeting it with your players makes a huge difference in functionality.

To be clear, since the OP was asking an honest question, what Vurbano is talking about here is partially true - BD has not finalized a spec until recently and most/all players on the market now do not meet it.

However, unless someone has proven otherwise, this has no impact on the player's ability to actually PLAY THE MOVIE. There is some risk on both sides (although admittedly far less on the HD side) that a movie will come out with some new feature that won't work well or at all on an older player, but the movies themselves should play fine on any generation player.

While Vurbano quotes the specs (really hope those 51GB disc work on the first gen players) I prefer the bandwith of BluRay. High Definition is always going to be defined by available bandwith and how it is used. On HD-DVD that can become a limitation while on BluRay there is no limitation where bandwith is concerned.

That said, while Vurbano doesn't really care if HD-DVD offers him a lossless soundtrack I don't really care to access the internet while watching a movie. As for the HDi - some usuages are pretty cool and I am looking forward to 1.1 blooming on BluRay. But the bottom line is most are interested in the movie not the extras. And right now both formats are delivering gems and duds.

The only real differance for the average consumer is what movies are available to you to view on a selected format.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)