What are the odds?

GoWulfpack

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
As I mentioned in another thread topic, I am trying to assemble an auxillary dish for tailgating purposes.

Last week, I went to my sister's house and took down a dish 500 dish that belonged to the former owner (my sis has cable). I was thinking this would be a perfect way to keep the tailgating dish in the garage while the regular one stays on the roof.

So since we are a week away from the season, I put together a dry run in order to learn how to find the signal. I got nothing.

I called DN customer service and learned that the dish I had acquired from my sis has "legacy LNPF" and I need "Dish Plus LNPF" (I think that is what he said).

Anyway, the irony of all of this is DN is scheduled to install an HD receiver in my bedroom on Saturday. This will require a new dish for the roof. So I looked up on the roof last night and that satellite has the "Dish Plus LNPF" that I need for tailgating. I suggested to the CSR that I should just swap them out when installer comes on Saturday.

He said that cant happen because the one on the roof is leased and therefore needs to be returned. So my question is this.

What are the odds the Tech will allow me to switch the LNPF from my rooftoop dish to my tailgating dish? If not, what are the odds he will give me one to put on my tailgating dish? :confused:

legacy still works.. just need the appropriate switchs for it.. SW21 will allow you to connect the two sats onto a single feed and into your box..

You could ask the installer if you can have the old lnbs, but if its leased they're supposed to get it back..

true

I should have clarified. The tailgating dish with the legacy is going to be used with either the HD receiver I'm getting on Saturday (just to get a SD picture while tailgating) or the DVR I have in the family room.

The CSR said the legacy LNPFs wont work either of those receivers which is why I need the "Dish Plus" LNPFs off of the one on the roof.

I should have clarified. The tailgating dish with the legacy is going to be used with either the HD receiver I'm getting on Saturday (just to get a SD picture while tailgating) or the DVR I have in the family room.

The CSR said the legacy LNPFs wont work either of those receivers which is why I need the "Dish Plus" LNPFs off of the one on the roof.

Legacy will work. I have a 622 and 921 with a legacy LNBs no problem for
61.5, 110, and 119. The switches are different. I use a SW64 switch which is legacy.

We might be getting over my head here, but come Saturday I will have a 625 (dual tuner SD DVR) and a 211 (single tuner HD receiver). The CSR told me last night that the legacy setup I have on the auxillary dish will not work with either of these receivers when I tailgate. Is this not correct?

Just go to dishstore.net and buy the DPP Twin for $39.

Alternate plan: slip the Dish installer $20 to report that there wasn't an existing Dish, then use that Plus LNB on your auxillary.

Like VinceT3 stated in his post the SW 21 switch will put the 2 sat feeds onto a single feed which will go to your box. This will probably work best with the 211. The 625 may have problems since it will only get 1 feed. If your LNB is a legacy quad you can use 2 SW 21 switches to feed both inputs on the 625.

We might be getting over my head here, but come Saturday I will have a 625 (dual tuner SD DVR) and a 211 (single tuner HD receiver). The CSR told me last night that the legacy setup I have on the auxillary dish will not work with either of these receivers when I tailgate. Is this not correct?
Right off, I don't remember your other thread, but I think you are correct, this is currently over your head. You'll be asking questions Saturday afternoon once you have more info... And we'll be here to help.

All the answers so for have been correct. However, I'm not sure if you gave complete information, particularly on the dish and/or LNBF you have in possesion.

All newer Dish receivers (DishPro, and DishPro Plus) will work on current DishPro & DishPro Plus LNBF, as well as Legacy LNBF. The older Dish receivers (Legacy), such as a 2000, will only work on Legacy LNBF, and are not forward compatible with the newer DishPro & DishPro Plus LNBF. So either the CSR was incorrect, or the information was misunderstood.

Switches... Do you even need a switch for your "Tailgate Setup"? If you are looking to see just one satellite, then you should not need a switch. If the LNBF from your sister's house is a Legacy Twin, you could receive both 119 & 110 without a switch - because it is built in.

New Dish for the Roof... Sounds like you have SD service receiving 119 & 110, and this Saturday you will have HD service receiving 119, 110, and a 3rd location that might be either 61.5 or 129. So you will be getting a new dish, but the old one may still be needed. He may be installing a switch also, or different LNBF to feed your 625 and 211.

When the tech gets there on Saturday, tell him what you want to do, and ask him the best way to accomplish that and if you have the right equipment. (Remember, for a price - everything's for sale.:D)

Last note... I think you are planning on removing the 211 back and forth between the bedroom and the pickup truck. If so, you will need to do a Check Switch after each (re-)installation so that the receiver can determine what switch and/or LNBF you are using each time and function properly.

hmmm

All newer Dish receivers (DishPro, and DishPro Plus) will work on current DishPro & DishPro Plus LNBF, as well as Legacy LNBF. The older Dish receivers (Legacy), such as a 2000, will only work on Legacy LNBF, and not on the newer DishPro & DishPro Plus LNBF. So either the CSR was incorrect, or the information was misunderstood.
Thanks for being patient with a novice here.

Your quote above is encouraging but it goes against what the CSR told me last night. Perhaps he misunderstood me? Perhaps I relayed bad info? Perhaps he was just wrong? Maybe and in this case hopefully.

Again, according to the CSR, I have "Legacy LNBF" on the dish I plan to use for tailgating. The CSR told me without question this LNBF version WILL NOT work with either aforementioned receiver I will have in my possession come Saturday. He said I would need the Dish Plus LNBF version in order to work with an HD receiver or SD Dual Tuner DVR.

That is the whole reason why I was hopeful I could convince the Tech to switch out the LNBF unit off of the Dish 500 he will be taking down from my roof (or swap the entire unit altogether) because it clearly states "Plus" on its LNBF.

Switches... Do you even need a switch for your "Tailgate Setup"? If you are looking to see just one satellite, then you should not need a switch. If the LNBF from your sister's house is a Legacy Twin, you could receive both 119 & 110 without a switch - because it is built in.
I have what looks like a splicer on the wires coming from the "Legacy LNBF" on the dish I plan to use for tailgating. I want to say it has SW21 written on it with 119 on one side and 110 on the other.

I can only assume this is the "switch" you mention. From this splicer runs the cable that will go directly into my receiver when I tailgate. Sorry to be so vague but hopefully this helps describe what I have.

Here's a picture of the SW21, it connects to sats to one receiver.. this is usable by all dish boxes as far as I know..

Legacy recievers can not use DishPro equipment unless you use a dishpro legacy addapter, picture included :)

At worst if he sells you a dishpro twin you can simple just connect one coax to the other and call it a day..

Attachments

• sw21.jpg
    sw21.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 128
  • dpada.jpg
    dpada.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 109
Why not just swap the LNBF from your dish on the roof with the tailgate dish?

That way, when you get the upgrade, the installer will be removing the legacy LNBF and not the DP.

The installer came yesterday and had to put up a second dish for the HD. I asked him about my tailgating solution and he said he was 99% sure the legacy LNBFs will work with my 211 but was kind enough to give me a spare Dish Pro Plus LNBF from his truck. I will test this week and be ready for Saturday.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Legacy LNBF uses 13 volts & 18 volts to switch between Odd & Even Transponders.
DishPro & DishPro Plus LNBF uses DiSEqC 2.0 Commands to switch between Odd & Even Transponders; which allows for longer cable runs.
Legacy Receivers uses the voltage for shifting polarity; so they only work with Legacy LNBF.
DishPro & DishPro Plus Receivers can use either DiSEqC Commands or Voltage to switch polarity; so they work with all Dish LNBF's.

For more info, see:
- http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwo...ments/Introduction_to_DISH_Pro_Technology.pdf or
- DISH Pro 500 & DISH Pro 500 Plus Information Documents | Solid Signal
He said I would need the Dish Plus LNBF version in order to work with an HD receiver or SD Dual Tuner DVR.
You do not need a DishPro Plus LNBF for either of those. However, if you desire to run a single cable to a dual tuner receiver, then you must use either a DishPro Plus LNBF to feed a DPP Separator, or a DishPro LNBF into a DishPro Plus Switch (DPP44) to feed a DPP Separtor.
The installer came yesterday and had to put up a second dish for the HD. I asked him about my tailgating solution and he said he was 99% sure the legacy LNBFs will work with my 211 but was kind enough to give me a spare Dish Pro Plus LNBF from his truck. I will test this week and be ready for Saturday.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Although the Legacy LNBF will work, use the DP Twin or DPP Twin he gave you.

He probably gave you a DishPro Twin which will have 2 cable connectors on it; but maybe he did give you a DishPro Plus Twin, which will have 3 cable connectors on it.
- If it's a DP Twin, then you can connect either connector to the Sat-In on your 211.
- - - - See diagram at: http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwo...des/DISH_Pro_Twin_LNBF_Installation_Guide.pdf
- If it's a DPP Twin, connect your 211 using one of the two connectors on the left side of the LNBF, and not the single connection on the right.
- - - - See diagram at: http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwo...allation_Considerations-DP_Plus_Twin_LNBF.pdf

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)