What are the odds....

Kraven

Resident Bozo
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Northern, VT
Sat down last night..and normally what should be 30 channels was down to 2. Looked outside and the CM4228HD was still there. Checked the signal strenght, the 2 channels were at 65% instead of its regular 98%. Double checked the CM7777's power supply and connections without success.

This morning same thing.. but before leaving to for work, I looked again outside (this time w/ daylight)... anywho, the RG6 connected to the antenna was disconnected and swinging in the wind like a flag (am guessing strong winds lately unscrewed it?!?!?) ....yet the exposed rg-6 copper was enough to pick up 2 stations.

In all my years in satellites and OTA, I have never seen a connector unscrew itself.

Cheers, K

Last edited:
Is it a balun or is the coax actually screwed into the antenna? The balun uses 300 ohm connected to the antenna and flexing over time WILL break those connections. When I had a 4228 it used a Channel Master provided balun. There was I'll call it an "S" hook provided to clip on the boom and the body of the balun to eliminate that stress point.

This morning as I was going to work I noticed that the KU LNB was ripped off my DISH last night and is now floating in the wind! We had gusts of up to 50 MPH last night here which was crazy!

The LNB holder is destroyed. Hopefully Duct Tape can fix it. :D

Did you have a chance to look at the connection closely? I had an RG6 end connector come off the cable, probably from being beat around too much by the elements. I put a new compression end on it and zip tied up the cable to the mast so that it could not move (I used to have a rotar so I needed slack).

This morning as I was going to work I noticed that the KU LNB was ripped off my DISH last night and is now floating in the wind! We had gusts of up to 50 MPH last night here which was crazy!

Red Green guarantees it!

Dude... ask Red Green... Duct Tape can fix anything!

Did you have a chance to look at the connection closely? I had an RG6 end connector come off the cable, probably from being beat around too much by the elements. I put a new compression end on it and zip tied up the cable to the mast so that it could not move (I used to have a rotar so I needed slack).

Dunno... it wasnt 100% daylight when I looked, but I did clip/compress these myself. If I get home early, I'll definetely take some pictures.

Cheers, K

Keep your sticks on the ice!

smith.jpg

Well I got home and checked it out... just the coax somehow got unscrewed from the antenna. I might be crazy at times, but there is no way am getting on the roof with 70mph winds (cats land on their feet, not me). And to cap off my night, the dish got tossed too by the wind.

Ended up playing Yatzee on Ipad and talking to the spouse all evening.

Cheers, K

It works best if the DISH itself is made of duct ape.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)