What are those big red letters on LyngSat?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

thisBUDsforyou

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
Ok I'm looking at LyngSat for AMC3 at 87. There's one unlabeled column that has big red letters in white boxes. What are these? For example at 11736V MTA has a U and MTA Int'l has an A and an N.

Under the video encryption column a lot of the channels say DVB but some just have a big red F. What's that? Some of the channels say Digicipher 2 which I've read you need a 4DTV receiver to get. Are these in the clear once you buy the right receiver, or do you have to subscribe? Is DCII likely to be around for a while or is everyone going to switch to DVB? I've seen discussion of people buying a DSR-920 on eBay - does that mean these receivers aren't being made any more?

In another thread there was discussion that the PBS channels use AC3 audio that you need a Dolby decoder to hear. Is there any way of telling from LyngSat which channels have AC3 audio?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my questions.

If you'll hover over those big red letters or click on them, they give you more information.

The "F" means the channel is "Free to air" i.e. unencrypted. You are correct that you would need a DCII receiver to get the free channels that are DCII.

As far as determining AC3, or what the future may hold, I'm not sure about that.

TheList @ SatelliteGuys shows which channels have AC3 audio streams.

For Lyngsat:
A and U = Station's Address
N = Internet Stream
F = Means Free

Yes the 920s are no longer made and most are ready to die unless the battery has been replaced.
Once the battery dies it looses its ID and needs a new mother board to fix.
If you get one thats still working be sure and power it up right away and keep it active.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)