Status
Please reply by conversation.

Magic Static

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
I've been pacing around waiting to start my new computer build. Still waiting for the #1 part, the case. Well "Idle hands are the Devil's workshop" so I started with some more FTA stuff. A picture speaks a thousand words, so here is one. ;)
adapter 028.JPG

Looks like you are going into full production mode Magic! Relay board of some sort?

I'm just starting a new computer build also. Got all the parts on hand. Just need to start assembly and then figure out why the machine doesn't boot. It will not boot - that's a given.

BUILD LIST

Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
Intel i5-4690K Processor
Corsair H100i liquid CPU cooler
(8G x2)Corsair Vengeance 1600C9R DRAM
EVGA Getforce GTX 960 4G Graphics Card
EVGA 1000 watt power supply
(2) Asus DVD burners
(2) Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD drives
WD 1TB HD
IOGEAR SD card reader
(3) T.B. Vagas Enermax fans
(2) red cold cathode light bars
Corsair Air540 case
Windows 7

Some of the components:
compbuild_zpsmqbsr6rt.jpg

Reactions: Magic Static
Nice list there Cosmo. I too am gathering up parts to build my next machine. I usually do build all of mine, since my very first x86 computer. The last one I bought on a good deal a Dell XPS8300, i7 machine.
That was 3 years ago and I am itching for a new build. I am going to go with the EVGA X99 motherboard (I think). I have not ordered the MB and CPU yet, keep researching and reading. I like the X99 but some people had issues with memory addressing, but supposedly that is solved.
It will still be a couple months or so, not in a big hurry, I like to research and research, before I make the final diceisin on a new computer build, cause I like to have it last for a couple years, so I usually go for more than what I need at the time. I have a GTX 960, but by the time I do the build if the EVGA GTX 980ti has dropped in price I may go with that. I do the folding @home and that card would really pump out some folding....but I don't know it is as much for that as a new computer. :)

Magic Static today I have been repairing my 50A Astron, that all of a sudden started blowing fuses. I just replaced all of the pass transistors. Now I am concerned that the SCR may be weak. I don't have exactly the same one so, back to order a couple of those and wait for the mailman next week.

I did get some parts in today to fix an ASC-1 that I think I will mod and keep, stay tuned for pics. :)

Magic Static today I have been repairing my 50A Astron, that all of a sudden started blowing fuses. I just replaced all of the pass transistors. Now I am concerned that the SCR may be weak. I don't have exactly the same one so, back to order a couple of those and wait for the mailman next week.

I did get some parts in today to fix an ASC-1 that I think I will mod and keep, stay tuned for pics. :)

50 Amp Astron! Those are tanks. How old is it? They've been making them for decades. We had an RS-50 at work powering a bank of Motorola UHF transceivers. That RS-50 was powered up 24/7 for about 16 years without a problem. The radios got swapped out but the Astron stayed.

I bought it new in I want to say around 95. Yes it weighs I think 60-75 lbs. It feels like 200 since all the weight is so condensed. Yes it has been on for years 24/7, then all of a sudden it was dead. So I replaced the fuse and popped it immediately. So I knew something was wrong. I ordered the 2N3771's to replace what it had. I had plenty of 2n3055's, but then it would not be quite as hefty. I also replaced the Large DO-5 type heat sunk diodes in the bridge, just while I had it open. Now when I get a new SCR for it I will be happy. They have discontinued the one that was used with no direct replacement so I am just going with a sightly heavier one.

Nice list there Cosmo. I too am gathering up parts to build my next machine. I usually do build all of mine, since my very first x86 computer. The last one I bought on a good deal a Dell XPS8300, i7 machine.
That was 3 years ago and I am itching for a new build. I am going to go with the EVGA X99 motherboard (I think). I have not ordered the MB and CPU yet, keep researching and reading. I like the X99 but some people had issues with memory addressing, but supposedly that is solved.
It will still be a couple months or so, not in a big hurry, I like to research and research, before I make the final diceisin on a new computer build, cause I like to have it last for a couple years, so I usually go for more than what I need at the time. I have a GTX 960, but by the time I do the build if the EVGA GTX 980ti has dropped in price I may go with that. I do the folding @home and that card would really pump out some folding....but I don't know it is as much for that as a new computer. :)

EVGA X99 will not be obsolete for quite awhile. Good choice! I bought most of my stuff over the last 4 months during Newegg sales promotions. Not state of the art equipment, just 'cheap(ish)'. I'm not a gamer, so it's overkill for my needs. Just want to be able to do light video editing and take full advantage of the SDR software.

I matched up the Corsair H100i cooler with a Corsair 850i power supply. The PS has a data cable that plugs into the CPU cooler and both are controlled by the Corsair Link software. I'm curious to see how that works. I'm ditching the stock fans with the water cooler and replacing them with Corsair's High Performance hydraulic bearing PWM fans 62 CFM. I'll be using 4 fans in a push/pull configuration on the radiator. The engineering trick will be to stuff that in a Corsair Carbide 200R RT case. Although this case supports 240mm radiators the H100 is not supposed to fit. ;) They don't know me very well .

All my computers pretty much came out of dumpsters :biggrin
Some good deals there I'll tell ya! My son's gaming rig is a throw away from my neighbor that he couldn't get anyone to fix. My son just added a video card with some performance and got a sweet machine. :)

That is what a guy told me one time about a power supply I home brewed. An older grumpy guy, he says,
"If you design it right you don't need that crowbar circuit", yeah ok buddy. Don't need the rest of that crap either just get a 120:12V Transformer and plug it in the wall.
If the radio is designed right, don't need the rest of that circuit either. :D

This weekend I'll be slapping together a stand for my antenna, putting a hole in the wall for a coax faceplate (not sure how many yet), then building a little something to elevate my 1M dish on NPRM so it can see over the railing and get 125W.

The parts got out of the boxes :) and wow! this thing rocks! I have had zero problems with this build so far. Started at 8am and was done with loading windows at 10:30a. I'm liking the water cooler. And the M.2 SSD, very fast :) A couple of more things to install and this thing is golden.

That's the only way I will upgrade to newer computer hardware... Go to the store and pick up a car trunk load of parts. Then go home and put it all together, kind of like a puzzle..
Quite happy with my last one, hardware works great, but I am not that enthralled with the OS, Windoze 8.1. Hoping the update to windoze 10 will help.

Had a really sweet linux build going on a surplus box and motherboard, but my Mother's computer died and she needed a quick replacement. Was hoping to set it up as a media/sat receiver with one of the fancy new receiver cards. Guess I'll have to wait.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)