What bird am I looking at?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

USDownlink

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Oregon
Hi all - I have a request for those of you capable of seeing 74W-ish.

-Background-
So I had to move the T90. The landlord didn't like it on the roof. Fair enough, I guess. I had to move it to the ground, but the best location was where I am only able to see part of what I had. But to my pleasant surprise, I am now able to see below 85, which was not possible earlier due to tree interference from the roof location.

So far, excellent. I've gained 83 and 79. I kept tilting and skewing the dish until I thought I was back into the trees. One LNB left over from the previous setup, I just stuck it on the edge of the guide bar. I blind scanned it for the hell of it, and wouldn't you know it? It found a channel! (I've since readjusted the LNB for maximum signal.) But therein lies the problem.

-The Issue-
I have no clue which bird I'm looking at. By measurement, it should be 74. By Lyngsat and The List, I should be able to tune ONN, but I cannot. I supposed I could be on 72, but I cannot tune what Lyngsat or The List say should be there, either.

-The Request-
First, since ONN seems to be the only regular thing on 74, is it still there and active right now?

Second, It's a feed I've tuned. It's the only thing found when blind scanning. I'd like to kindly request someone to check for this feed that knows which satellite is which, and tell me which one it's on. If you can and are willing to do this favor for me, PM me and I'll share the parameters.

Once I know these answers, I'll better be able to tell if I need some troubleshooting or adjustments...

Thanks!

usdownlink they have a ssattlelite list on the front of the page that is called the list that may be able to help you like it did me, it shows all the sats up and also transponders for whos is who and im also new at this myself

Minor update - the feed the blind scan found is still there (sounds like it will be for two more hours by what I'm hearing - otherwise, I hope to find another feed someday!), I haven't found anybody that can verify which bird it's coming from yet, and a rescan has revealed no other active transponders.

Ice - thanks for letting me know. Certainly adds to the confusion! ;)

And qwert - I hope you are able to find it!

Thanks! :)

you're on 74 after I scanned in the info from the PM you sent me

Sweet! Thanks much!

[Hey, everyone - this truly is the best spot on the entire internet. And most of that is Iceberg's fault!]

Now on to the difficult part... Why can I not see the strong ONN?! I'm going to swap out the LNB with a spare. It occurs to me they (the feed and ONN) are on separate polarities.

Further suggestions welcome!

How is the signal quality for the feed?

ONN is much weaker than the feed at my location.

(Sorry I took so long to reply, I went away from the computer and I just got back :()

How is the signal quality for the feed?

ONN is much weaker than the feed at my location.

(Sorry I took so long to reply, I went away from the computer and I just got back :()

Oh, now there is an interesting bit of information! I'm hovering around 40% for the feed on a Viewsat. The tuner is not as sensitive as most others (In fact it downright sucks), so as soon as I finish typing, I'm jamming it into the Fortec to see what happens. I'm getting absolutely no indication of a signal at all on ONN.

So we have a large latitude differential, but both of us are much farther west than Ice (making mental note)...

BTW, the feed just ended.

Still trying to work through this. I did move the LNB over to the Fortec, and indeed the meter did twitch a little bit but still no lock.

Replacing the LNB was no help.

So I'm down to thinking LOS problems, but I'm not fully satisfied with that. Here's why - I pointed the 1.2m dish at 74, and indeed, ONN became strong, and found about 10 other feeds on top of that - all just as strong. Now, the 1.2m dish is right next to the T90, the LNBs for 74 are 20 linear inches apart. In fact, the 1.2m is being partially obscured by the edge of the T90. Of course not exactly the same LOS, but pretty darn close.

Additionally, I did have a V polarity feed coming in nice and strong. Can a tree block one polarity while letting another pass? That seems .. unlikely .. to me, although I am certainly no expert on the matter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)